mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Death of the Phenom?

I'm beginning to hear whispers that Tippmann is/has ended production in a few facebook groups. Figured I'd come here and see if anyone has any real info.

*ETA:

Found a small paragraph about it on a German site. Here

Quote:
Hallo liebe Tippmann Fans,
ein schwarzer Tag im Paintball für alle Szenario-Spieler. Heute mussten wir erfahren, dass die X7 Phenom überraschend gestorben ist. Die Produktionsmaschinen wurden abgestellt und es wird keine weiteren Geschwister mehr geben. Sie wird uns fehlen und wir sind bestürzt und traurig über diese wirklich schlechte Nachricht aus dem Hause Tippmann. Auch wenn Sie sicher eine Lücke in unserem Leben hinterlassen wird, so versucht ihr Bruder Stryker diese so gut es geht zu füllen. Ersatzteile wird es noch mindestens die nächsten 2 Jahre geben. Lasst uns eine Minute für unseren guten alten Kameraden und Freund auf dem Feld gedenken. Lasst uns noch einmal an all die guten Momente auf dem Spielfeld vor Augen führen und einen letzten Gruß senden mit den Worten: Ruhe in Frieden X7 Phenom.
Translates roughly to:
"Hello dear Tippmann fans,
A black day in paintball for all scenario players. Today we had to learn that the X7 Phenom died surprisingly. The production machines were turned off and there will be no more siblings. She will be missing us and we are dismayed and sad about this really bad news from the house of Tippmann. Even if you will surely leave a gap in our lives, her brother Stryker tries to fill this as well as possible. Spare parts will still exist for at least the next 2 years. Let us remember one minute for our good old comrade and friend on the field. Let us recall once again all the good moments on the playing field and send a last greeting with the words: Peace in Peace X7 Phenom."
Old 01-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
JKR
AKA: Wraith

Wow...

The extra parts for two years thing is crazy too. This is totally anti-Tippmann as we know it. Just goes to show what happens when you sell your soul to the devil.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

Feedback
JKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

Can't say I'm shocked considering who's running things over there now... To be fair though I haven't seen a crazy amount of phenom's on the field either, so if it's not selling why keep making it? I feel like that milsim market has gravitated away from tacticool hopper fed guns and more to true magfed anyway. Which makes the Stryker line sort of asinine too.... not sure KEE or whatever they're calling themselves now really have a clear picture of their own direction right now.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Sigh..... I don't know what to think of this. I have noticed a different feel from Tippmann both in the booths and online customer service as of late too.
paintzapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

I can't say that I have seen a Phenom at the field in the last...well, long time.
I always thought the select fire lever was neat, if unnecessary in a world of ramping markers.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkncat View Post
I always thought the select fire lever was neat, if unnecessary in a world of ramping markers.
Unnecessary!? Never heard such blasphemy on MCB! I demand an infraction to be placed on this devil!
Old 01-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Law
Where's Tug Contest Winner

Too bad, the phenom is a neat marker, like a modern automag, although maybe a bit overpriced for me.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

I suspect that the Phenom (moderate complexity, moderately priced bulk-fed gun in a saturated market) isn't the future that Tippmann sees itself in.
Instead, I think they are going to move more into MagFed where there is currently less competition (and those competitors are relatively small). I suspect that is probably where they will invest more R&D into as well- meaning maybe we'll see a derivative of the phenom engine in a magfed marker.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uv_halo View Post
meaning maybe we'll see a derivative of the phenom engine in a magfed marker.
With the current bolt engine in the Rap4 Hurricane, Tippmann will have to pull out some serious stops to make this marketable.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

How long does the phenom platform hold up before it needs parts? I was toying with getting one or a crossover for big games for the electic to mechanical switch. Hearing this is giving me second thoughts.
somethingbenign is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat