mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

View Poll Results: Should the Metric System be implemented in America?
Yes, it should! 77 52.38%
No, keep it the way it is, dangit! 60 40.82%
Metric system? 5 3.40%
I'm not from America. 5 3.40%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2006, 03:36 PM   #31 (permalink)
I have a Phantom

Send a message via MSN to Rayodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rayodder

Canada is Metric for the most part, except for the building and manufacturing industry, simply because the close ties between US and Canada and to switch the tooling is just simply too expensive for a lot of companies.

one interesting thing people might not know is that in the US all interstate highway constructions are all done in Metric, the reason for that was back in the earlier days of the cold war, lot of these type of construction was done with civil defense in mind and with US Army Corp of Engineers overseeing the project.
Rayodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
Damage Inc Lord

Send a message via MSN to hey_yeo Send a message via Skype™ to hey_yeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
Is it a simpler system? Yes

But I say we keep at least ONE thing that's nice and American!!
To hell w/ being a citizen of the world, keep my measurements!
The imperial system is nice and American eh?

Which American king with the foot fetish decided on how long a foot is?

Last edited by hey_yeo; 08-25-2006 at 05:16 PM. Reason: typo
hey_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #33 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

It is American because we are the only oddballs that use it primarily... Dang us yanks!

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Nelson View Post
They shoulda used one of the already standard english measurements (like a mile, or something) and just dvided it into segments of ten.
That's already done quite often ... when you read a digital caliper it reads in tenths ... and indeed hundredths and thousandths ... of an inch, and look at your odometer, it measures in tenths of a mile.

The thing that kills me is, the unit of measurement really doesnt matter, and long as you can make one thing fit another. They're arbitrary. 7.62mm bullets are the same as .30 caliber. .357 mag uses the same bullets as 9mm. 12 gauge is .70 caliber ... the gauge referring to the number of lead balls the size of the bore that add up to 1 pound.

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from." -Andrew S. Tanenbaum

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:35 PM   #35 (permalink)

We've had metric here in Canada for , well since 1975. Its bull****, I farm acres, drive miles, construction workers measure in inches and feet. yes the fact that its a base 10 system makes it nice to work with, but remember our countries are layed out on the imperial system, or rather in the u.s a version thereof. this sucks when you get converting everything. I dont even know what a hectre is in actual size, but I can pace outand mark an acre for ya. Its been a fine waste of money and time, and really it was to placate quebec I think, after all Metric came from their dear ol france, and it 'separates" us from "Americanism". I think our beer does a better job of that! In short, Dont do it, if you can help it.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:54 PM   #36 (permalink)
MCB Member

even the question is wrong

I challenge the wording of the question. Contrary to popular belief in this country America is a pair of continents and not the name of a country. We are the United States of America but very few people seem to be able to grasp this. They are usually the same people that believe our government is a democracy even though they recited the pledge of alegiance from kindergarten to jr. high. Some how the words "and to the republic" just went over their heads for many years.

as for the metric system, when they bring me a clock and a calender I'll start to take them seriously.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 01:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
Sugar Loaded Candy Cane!

Send a message via AIM to Mstrtal Send a message via Yahoo to Mstrtal

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
As a tool and Die student I am learning to work in both Decimal Inch and Metric. Not really allthat hard to convert but most other countrys that have a strong presence in the Machine Industry use metric. CHances are within the next 10 or 20 years all prints will be doone in Metric.

Bedknobs and Boomsticks!

Originally Posted by commandoman
Kick back and enjoy the atmosphere, sexy girls at my school keep me sane through the worst lectures by the worst professors

Mstrtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #38 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Obeastly View Post
I challenge the wording of the question. Contrary to popular belief in this country America is a pair of continents and not the name of a country. We are the United States of America but very few people seem to be able to grasp this....
You knew what I was talking about. I am not a stickler over wording, and obviously, you (as well as everyone else) knew what I meant.

Is North and South America politically united, no.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Old 08-26-2006, 02:15 PM   #39 (permalink)
ONX

keep it the way it is I like the system and celcius does suck as do kilomiters!
ONX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 02:20 PM   #40 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONX View Post
keep it the way it is I like the system and celcius does suck as do kilomiters!

I totally agree with you about the celcius and kilometers, but, I still think that small measurements could be simplified by using the metric system. I hate working on my motorcycle, because I have to go round up all my metric wrenches, whereas everything else (not my nissan) I work on, uses standard... Quite annoying.

However, it would be an expensive process to switch everything, and alot of people from my generation, and the generations above and below me, would be rather confused.

Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat