mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

View Poll Results: Should the Metric System be implemented in America?
Yes, it should! 77 52.38%
No, keep it the way it is, dangit! 60 40.82%
Metric system? 5 3.40%
I'm not from America. 5 3.40%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #41 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier_Bill View Post
I hate working on my motorcycle, because I have to go round up all my metric wrenches
you should have bought a Harley.
c6quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #42 (permalink)
Norwegian Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier_Bill View Post
It is American because we are the only oddballs that use it primarily... Dang us yanks!
LOL thats so correct.. In "some" years you will switch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jincay View Post
until 1922 Norway also drove on the left. They changed over to driving on on the right in stages, one weekend all the trucks changed to driving on the right the following weekend all the cars changed over to driving on the right......

Hmmm, even i didnt know that...
Old 08-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #43 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by c6quad View Post
you should have bought a Harley.

About 10% of any given Harley is Jap made, biggest part is the Forks, and they are 39mm tubes and up. Other little parts and pieces though out the bike are Metric so you may need a 10mm or 13mm.

Way back in my Jr high days the USA was going to convert, they started but just seem to be stuck in the middle.
I think when working on mechanical things it would be much easier if it was Metric since you would get away from fractions. Most anything I have worked on is 10 13 19 and 30 mm, no 11/32nd or 5/16 or 7/8 etc.

RD
paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:46 PM   #44 (permalink)
MCB Member

gimme 1/2" open/box combo wrench, and a place to stand, and I will move the world!

METRIC IS FOR SISSIES WHO DON'T KNOW HOW TO DIVIDE BY 2.

P
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 02:46 AM   #45 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Why would I want to be like all the rest of the countries?

Let them all be the same, we will be unique and we will stay the best.

not to mention what the crap is a converted .68 caliber

and what are we going to call a "DESERT EAGLE POINT FIVE OH" a freaking desert wussie 1 point 3 centimeter? Gimmie a break.

Countries with firearm bans can keep the metric system.

So in short the main reason we cant even consider changing over is because all the ID's in the of our barrels on our weapons will no longer sound cool

and the bad-*** displacement numbers on our engines like 454 and 572 will be just way off.

Basically if the metric system was implemented, there would be nothing in the world that sounds cool at all.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:09 PM   #46 (permalink)
Post Whore

come now, Desert Eagle 12.7 doesn't sound cool to you?

I find that most people don't bother using logic when it comes to the difference. The IMAX systems I work with use both metric and standard so I have sets or both. Now the 35mm projectorsuse standard parts but the other guys grab whatever the first set of tools that they come across and end up stripping things out. of course on top of that they don't bother returning anything, but that's a COMPLETELY different topic...

I think having both requires people to be more intelligent, a trait that i find most kids these days don't try to cultivate
craltal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:20 AM   #47 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
...So in short the main reason we cant even consider changing over is because all the ID's in the of our barrels on our weapons will no longer sound cool
I dunno, I guess it depends. "Seven point six two millimeter ... full metal jacket ..." sounded pretty cool in the movie. I'm not so sure "thirty aught six" would have had wuite the same impact.

Quote:
and the bad-*** displacement numbers on our engines like 454 and 572 will be just way off.
When I bought my truck, I special ordered it ... as I was going through the options list, I saw 7.4 Liter as a $600 option. It took me a second to recognize what it was. Needless to say, that option got checked off

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:25 AM   #48 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Yup. Standard system for me.

To be more logical though.

I cant think in terms of kilometers. I think of miles, half, and quarter miles. KM's just dont seem right..how long does it take you to run a mile? I dont know..it takes me 5 minutes to run a KM though.. - weird.

I also like F instead of C for temperature. 30 degrees in my mind is freaking cold. 100 degrees is hot, but not entirely unbearable. Other numbers arent processed right in my brain.

For volume and mass though.. these are things I dont think about subcontiously..those basically have been converted to the metric system under our nose anyways.. 2 liter bottles of soda? So I guess the evil NWO people can get away with converting my soda pop to the metric system. And as far as machining goes..well, I think that most american craftsman will be using the standard system for basically eternity. I dont know.

It would make sense for them to implement the system, utterly confuse the remaining generations and raise up a new lot of metric system human beings in america..but it would be a huge huge burden for all of us living, until we die and the metric babies take over.

Honestly, its completely logical to use the metric system...but every time I hear somebody say in my chemistry class "if only dumb america didnt use the stupid standard system we wouldnt even have to be doing these conversions" I wince. I am proud of our illogical and utterly confusing system, its ours.

BTW - 9mm, 10mm, 5.56 mm and 7.62 mm are all secret evil spy tools implimented by the UN to try and take over america. Dont be fooled by these calibers. Shoot a .40 a .45 <to replace weaker pistol calibres> a .223 and a .308

Yeup.

For some reason I think of Anti-standard system people in the same lot as anti truck, anti gun, anti battle tanks killing bad guys, anti death penalty, pro abortion, anti letting anyone use our forests, anti powerboat, anti jet ski, anti fishing, anti hunting, anti meat people.

But i know thats not true, and im not looking to start a fight on these other topics. Just trying to explain what I feel inside. btw I drive a honda and not a truck.

Last edited by Cunha; 09-01-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat