mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
So I got a canoe...

...what's the worst that can happen?

So a little while back found a great deal on an old jon boat. Well, while negotiating the deal the seller goes and offers up a canoe to the package.

Sweet, could use that too.

So today me and my 70'ish year old Dad decide to take the canoe out. He wants to do a big multi day trip on the thing, but I convince him we need to do a smaller scale test first. Good thing we did. Turns out this particular canoe has a surprisingly high center of gravity. It's way tippy. First tricky fallen tree we had to go around and we end up tipping over.

Luckily the water wasn't too deep, but everything went into the river.
I was smart, had my phone and wallet in a ziplock bag. Dad forgot his on his belt. He fishes it out of the water and while we're wrestling the boat back to shore I suggest he put his phone in the ziplock so he doesn't drop it. Well, I apparently didn't zip it back up correctly the second time, so the darn bag fills with water. (always double bag!) Hopefully the old baggie full of instant rice trick does the job, I need that phone next week.

So we get to shore, dump out the water, get back in, and this time Dad sits on the floor of the canoe. Much more stable, but now he can't paddle much. So we finish the 2 hour short trip with out much drama (other than me having to do all the work).

So any tips on de-tippy'fying a canoe? Part of me wants to just bail on the concept and grab a couple wide kayaks, but the stubborn part of me thinks I can fix this.

Any favorite water proof storage containers? Could use something more reliable than a ziplock.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

remove the seats, sit on floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I honestly can barely stand most of the mods here, and don't even get me started on the f***ing Canadian ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
WOOP WOOOOOOOOP

CCM Fan
Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
Bail. Kayaks are more fun n e ways
iKNOWaFATman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
I'm thinking I can lower the seats somehow, at least the front one. I don't think old Dad could handle kneeling on the floor (which would be "proper" technique), but a compromise position might do the trick.

If our local creeks were wider I'd be making an outrigger or two, but that will just get us stuck.

Nunquam emere quid potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Sea To Summit bags are great and relatively affordable. They can be used as stand alone bags, or liners for existing bags (if the shapes match up). They also make a bunch of small ones that are good for first aid kits, electronics, bits and pieces, etc. They served me well on multiple canoe trips and driving stuff of the back of Navy ships into the ocean for a few years.

Here's a good site for reviews on some larger duffel style bags:

https://welltraveledmile.com/best-wa...f_Backpack_Bag

Also used a COR duffel for a 5 day canoe trip, and it did great. The more expensive bags are worth the extra if you are doing anything in rough conditions. Or maybe if you have a tippy canoe.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Flipping it back over in deep water sure isn't fun if you're not a strong swimmer. Add more than one person to the situation and you're in for a good conversation. Gotta stay calm and be smarter than the water
Ashton S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
"Not you brother"

Something like this is a good mix between sitting up high and kneeling on the floor

https://www.campmor.com/c/wenonah-dr...UaApsiEALw_wcB
No one is judge/jury/executioner here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I must have missed that memo

Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

When I was young, I had an old wood/canvas canoe. My Dad and his father who was in his late eighties rolled it a couple times fly fishing one afternoon. My Grandpa wasn't too steady, but could work a fly rod like nobody's business.
Undeterred, my Dad jerry-rigged an outrigger for it that secured to the canoe with large wing-nuts. It was made from wood from the lumber yard, and two innertubes.
My Grandpa, who wasn't free with compliments told my Dad, "Nice job Walter, let's go fishing".
Old 07-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thrill Me!

Location: looking through the knotholes in granny's wooden leg

always wear life vest no matter how good a swimmer you are, hard to swim with concussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I honestly can barely stand most of the mods here, and don't even get me started on the f***ing Canadian ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaD View Post
Asking for brass on MCB is like going to the grocery and saying "Looking for food, you guys have any"?
My Feedback

Stuff I want or need evenually
snaparen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Harbinger the void

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaparen View Post
always wear life vest no matter how good a swimmer you are, hard to swim with concussion.
Good plan. While flipping, kayaks seem to catch me in the back of the head a lot.
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat