mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Formerly lancecst

CCM Fan
I usually opt to not respond to the stupid email requests that I’ve already answered.

FOR SALE
BLachance75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

My job is actually to make the manual on how to build the various circuit board and completed assemblies at my work. I spend hours (sometimes days) making them. You can only imagine my level of frustration when soneone questions something or just flat out does it wrong when I have clearly stated what to do with redundancy added in.

I have only blown up on one person to her face when she came up to me just complaining and waisting my time instead of actually making an assembly alteration request like a normal person. I guess word got around quick after that to get to the point without waisting time if you need something.

Last edited by paintzapper; 11-07-2017 at 10:26 PM.
paintzapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
paintball designs

I guess this required special equipment (flat rack or open top)?

I worked at a maritime shipping company for five years, and though responses like that are annoying, it also has to do with liability. If you as the cargo owner claim that the shipment is in gauge, but in actuality it's out of gauge, then the shipping company is justified in charging you the extra cost for being out of gauge.

If you just provide them a dims sheet of the cargo and they quote a price as being in gauge, but it turns out it's out of gauge, then there's something of a gray area where you may be able to hold them to the original quotation.

Now assuming the PDF you showed them includes how the cargo will be blocked/braced (i.e. strapped down to prevent it from moving in the container) then the question of being in gauge or not should be pretty straightforward.
apoc4lypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Story of my life. Give a student directions orally, and have a written copy provided in front of them. Walk around a bit, see some are not doing anything. "Why haven't you started on the project?" Kid - "How are we supposed to do this, again?" Everyday, at least 20 times a day.
bellicose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #15 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsGunShow View Post
Excuse my schadenfreude, but I'm totally waiting for the follow up post from when the shipment actually arrives there, and the receiving dept has ALL.THE.SAME.QUESTIONS.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
dude you have no idea. its going to vietnam and apparently the customs people over there are have absolutely nothing to do but ask dumb questions. my favorite so far was: " Are these pieces or sets?" ( the 3 pieces noted would make up a set). you tell them its a set, then they ask "how many pieces in a set?" Really genius?????? Why the **** did you care if it was pieces or sets then??

I'm waiting for them to ask me how many sets are in a piece next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc4lypse View Post
I guess this required special equipment (flat rack or open top)?

I worked at a maritime shipping company for five years, and though responses like that are annoying, it also has to do with liability. If you as the cargo owner claim that the shipment is in gauge, but in actuality it's out of gauge, then the shipping company is justified in charging you the extra cost for being out of gauge.

If you just provide them a dims sheet of the cargo and they quote a price as being in gauge, but it turns out it's out of gauge, then there's something of a gray area where you may be able to hold them to the original quotation.

Now assuming the PDF you showed them includes how the cargo will be blocked/braced (i.e. strapped down to prevent it from moving in the container) then the question of being in gauge or not should be pretty straightforward.
Its open top and it is the 3rd shipment of exactly the same equipment. the drawing shows the physical layout of all components with clearance for bracing, skids and straps. its a physical layout of the container with exactly what goes in each container and where with the associated dims and weights for each item. With the container shown around it and fully enclosing it.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass and Wood Fan
PPS Fan
This is precisely why we have so many derogatory acronyms in IT. If people would just RTFM then they wouldn't have so many PEBKAC errors and it wouldn't make me think that they're a complete ID10T.
My Feedback Thread
JonM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

My wife keeps inviting her friend over because they "don't have TV since the flood". I thought their TV got soaked. They don't really need an excuse to come over, but this story was getting old.

Then I'm thinking that they probably had more than one TV (upstairs out of the water), and I saw one at the rent house. Turns out that they saved all of their TVs. They just don't know where they packed their remotes and didn't know there was such a thing as a programmable remote. It's hard to sympathize with that.

I work in a global organization and the opportunity for such things runs as deep as the number of people that have no time to drive while they are on the pavement in Houston. I'm getting accustomed to it very slowly. I may be ready for management by the time I retire. Or not.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I think all international shippers and customs are that way. I have items I am exporting to Israel. Emailed the same exporter I used last time to ship to this exact same location the weights and dims of the new shipment. They asked a total unrelated question, then turned around and asked for the weights and dims and pickup/dropoff locations that are in the first email of the chain.

My other favorite one they do every time is when I email for a quote and let them know the shipment is ready for pickup, then they turn around and ask when it will be ready for pickup. Every time, without fail.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Have MSG View Post
My other favorite one they do every time is when I email for a quote and let them know the shipment is ready for pickup, then they turn around and ask when it will be ready for pickup. Every time, without fail.
they are doing the same thing to me. I old them ready for pickup last friday, load friday and monday.... they started getting quotes yesterday. Now I have 30 tons of equipment covering 90% of the shop and nowhere to put new equipment.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post
Give a student directions orally, and have a written copy provided in front of them.
Hey hey hey. I at least bug my teachers because they're actually unclear.
IE Do I upload this assignment or do I print it out and hand it to you? It's an online assignment in the first place, why do I need to print it out again? How do I hand it to you if the assignment says it's due Sunday 10:00PM and class is only on Tuesdays?

You marked me off a couple of points for using the wrong format, is the assignment online that YOU uploaded in the correct format this time?

This syllabus has all the wrong dates and some of these assignments aren't described online. When will you tell us how what the requirements for this 15 page essay are?

MCB Feedback
YBBPI is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat