mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to quick.spyder Send a message via Yahoo to quick.spyder

Okay, I guess that means I'm going to have to work for a little bit more money to keep my head in one piece.
quick.spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
S7G
MCB Member

A dual sport is a nice starter bike and beyond. They will out manuver anything on the raod for responsiveness. I have ridden every kind of bike out there at one time or another and always seem to come back to a dual. Right now I ride a decked KLR650.
Taking a beginner course is the right start. If you take a ABATE one they can sign off your test and road test as well when you pass.
Remember to always drive defensively or you will become road kill. I have seen several friends get seriously hurt as well as killed because they where not on there toes.One I watched as a Palm tree decapitated him in my mirror while on Okinawa.
Treat every other vehicle as if it is trying to kill you and ride accordingly.
Intersections and stop lights will turn on your invisibility shield. Always leave room to get the heck out of the way in those two places.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.'

Bottom line is we never were angels...didn't try to
be. We were not related by blood, but we were brothers nevertheless...not in some sort of Hollywood way, but in a real life "no ****" kinda way.
William Walter AC-130 Gunner 2011
S7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lee
loose nut

The best advice I can give you is be constantly on the watch for other vehicles.People just don't see motorcycles.I got run off the road twice last year by someone shifting into the passing lane and not seeing me.Take your time with your bike and learn what both you and it are capable of.
Have fun and keep the sticky side down .
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
For gits and shiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterbuilt View Post
Yeahhhh, don't believe everything that you read on Wikipedia.... An SV650 isn't something that I would consider as a crazy man's bike. However I still think that if you are new to riding, take the safety class.
Now someone who is starting out and buys an R-1 or a Ducatti, etc. I would say they are worthy of road pizza!
My thoughts exactly, but once he gets an idea in his head, however foolish, it is what is to him; FANTASTIC.

What scares me is that he doesn't know the clutch from the shifter from the rear brake from the front brake from the headlight switch. He was sure that there was no way you could drive a manual transmission car with any more than one hand on the wheel .. ever ..

Quick.spyder: helmets for bikes are like masks for paintball, worth every penny to be sure you get the most comfortable and safest.
hank_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks, guys. Sadly, the course I'm taking doesn't sign off on the writing part.
From what ya'll have said, staying aware is the most important. So, I'll do that for sure.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Flying Bunker Tagger

As stated, spend the cash on the safety gear.

Remember- Loud pipes save lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
Sharks watch "Super-Cameron Week"
super-cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Old 'n Slow

Don't forget to put your feet on the ground when the bike is not moving.

Don't get a bike that is too large for you both in size and power.
My first bike was a Yamaha Virago 500. Then I purchased a Yamaha XT350 street/trail.

I was always scaning traffic when I rode and anticpated that the car next to me was going to cut me off ( happens more than I cared for).

I was military at the time and they required that we wear reflective belts when we rode.
I had a neon yellow/pink/black jacket that I wore also.
Make yourself as visible as possible. Dark colors are harder to see.

Its an enjoyable sport, but avoid the temptation to break the sound barrier.

Dan
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'll spend the extra dough on the helmet then.

I've read up a lot on shifting, the clutch, and braking; so I think I know what do to when I get on the bike. Also, my dad has had bikes for most of his life so he's teaching me too. I'm 17 by the way, if that makes a difference.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Needs new knees

On the street, 90% of your braking should be done with the front brake, sounds weird I know, but thats the fastest way to to stop. In dirt loose gravel, its about 50/50 front and back. And I am like the others, dont worry about what your doing as much as what everyone else is doing. You have a great starter bike, take it off road and on gravel roads, you will learn alot on limited traction surfaces.
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

I rode motorcyles for about 20 years, and hope to ride again.

I am going to give you one piece of advice that I wish I had stuck to.

NEVER EVER DRINK AND RIDE EVER NOT EVEN ONE BEER>!!!!!
I was not even legally drunk, was less than safe, crashed my bike after 20 years of experiance and lost my left foot below the knee as part of the result of my accident. I could easily have avoided the accident by not drinking and driving. I almost died, and worse than that what I put my family and friends through five weeks in the hospital.
DO NOT DRINK AND RIDE!

Beyond that, watch out for other people, they will kill you. Be careful, use your common sense and taking a driver course it a smart move. Don't move into too big a bike too soon. Take your time. Always wear a good quality full faced helmet. It saved my life.
And the last thing. The day that you no longer respect the machine you ride on is the day you need to quit riding.

Have fun in the wind.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat