mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to quick.spyder Send a message via Yahoo to quick.spyder

Motorcycle Beginner Tips?

I've been interested in getting a bike and I finally asked my parents and they gave me the okay. I'm going to take the beginner's safety course so I can learn a little and go ahead and get the driving test out of the way.
I plan on getting either a Traditional or a Dual-Purpose bike, something light.
But anyway, I know what I'm getting myself into and I was wondering if anybody has any tips or advice for a motorcycle newbie.
quick.spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick.spyder View Post
II'm going to take the beginner's safety course.
you already did the right thing.

OH!, don't brake hard and try to turn at the same time
sheered the foot peg right off!
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Lucky! My mom worked in the ER as a nurse, saw a lot of road pizza, that meant no moto for me.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Official DSG Fanboy

Are you going crotch rocket, touring or dual purpose? Between those three is quite a difference. Best thing you could get yourself is a BRAND name helmet and leathers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsr View Post
"So there I was, sitting at the keyboard one handed, and I said to myself, 'that really looks like you're wife'..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolRogue View Post
Thing's lucky it scampered off because I would have skulled it to death if I'd managed to get my hands on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Moosepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
WGP whore

A traditional bike will be the easyest to ride. Especially as a beginner. Dual sports are a little taller but are nice if you have to, or want to go off road.
Get something light, easy to maneuver, and that if it hits the ground you won't be overly upset. After a year on it, then trade up to something more.
On that note, I have a sweet drag harley that I want to sell.

Had it been a blind body and not blue I would of jumped on it like an eithiopian on a steak dinner.

My Ex-Wife is ungrateful She Never Used the Wedding present I bought her......A COFFIN

http://www.myspace.com/baconfiend

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...ht=jesterbuilt
Jesterbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Buy something you're not afraid to lay down. And watch out for mini-vans; they are the most dangerous vehicle on the road!

Seriously though, buy and wear a good helmet!

Riverraider90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
For gits and shiggles

To those who do ride, I know a guy who's looking to get into riding. He's thinking something along the lines of a suzuki sv650s; a 650cc sportbike. My first reaction was "oh hey, he's a dead man" .. am I out of line, or he is on a fast track to the other side ?

.. it's worth noting that the extent of his knowledge thus far on motorcycles is a wikipedia article outlining how they are not as dangerous as the statistics say they are.
hank_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to quick.spyder Send a message via Yahoo to quick.spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
OH!, don't brake hard and try to turn at the same time
sheered the foot peg right off!
Ew, yea, I'm actually seeing myself messing up while turning.

But I think I am pretty lucky to be able to get one considering my mom is a nurse too.

Anyway, I'm leaning more towards an older/smaller framed cruiser or a dual-purpose. Either way, I have a feeling it may hit the ground a couple of times so I'm definitely buying a used bike.

About the helmets, I willing to buy up to a $100 helmet. Any suggestions? Should I invest more?
quick.spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
WGP whore

Yeahhhh, don't believe everything that you read on Wikipedia.... An SV650 isn't something that I would consider as a crazy man's bike. However I still think that if you are new to riding, take the safety class.
Now someone who is starting out and buys an R-1 or a Ducatti, etc. I would say they are worthy of road pizza!

Had it been a blind body and not blue I would of jumped on it like an eithiopian on a steak dinner.

My Ex-Wife is ungrateful She Never Used the Wedding present I bought her......A COFFIN

Old 03-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
WGP whore

Invest more! Spend a couple hundred bucks if necessary. (I'm hiding my brain bucket as we speak.)

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat