mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Brass View Post
I'm the same way: I'd rather be killing real bad guys instead of hookers and cops. There's plenty of open-ended RPGs that allow all the hack & slash your violent mind could want but where you're slaying bad guys instead of being a crimminal yourself. Thus GTA is pointless in my mind. Gotta give the devs credit, though. They created a VERY successful game and are making ALOT of money off of it.
There are plenty of "real bad guys" to kill in GTA....

I guess I'm one of the minorities but I took GTA:SA and gladly played it to the end because of the main character. At the beginning of the game he was actually trying to stop being a criminal, only to be thrusted back into crime by crooked cops. I know there are plenty of good cops out there, but I do appreciate the game for acknowledging the existence of those who become criminals not because they want to but because of forces beyond their control. (kids threatened by gang members to either join or their families will be killed, etc)
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TrojanMan

I think that's all well and good so long as you realize that the games are equally as ridiculous as the movies they emulate.

Let's face it - GTA is 110% parody/tribute. It creates no original ideas of its own. Not to say that there isn't value in collaboration, imitation and the collection of ideas, mind you. I think at best, GTA imitates pop culture and certainly not the other way around.

GTA3 was Goodfellas
GTA3:VC was Scarface
GTA3:SA was Training Day

All have elements of many other movies and pop culture references, too, of course.

I'm wondering if GTA4 is going to mimic 15 Minutes or if it's going to break from the movie tribute formua.
TrojanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

I've never even heard of Training Day, nor 15 Minutes. Time to rent'm....

I agree GTA's are more like parodies making fun of how ridiculous ourselves are. I still remember their car radio commercials, about diamond rings, divorce, etc.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sailor by choice

Send a message via AIM to shoot to thrill

Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
I've never even heard of Training Day, nor 15 Minutes. Time to rent'm....

I agree GTA's are more like parodies making fun of how ridiculous ourselves are. I still remember their car radio commercials, about diamond rings, divorce, etc.
training day is one of my favorite movies.....defiantly rent it!

gta:sa........yeah I just like blowing stuff up, that and flying the planes, its a time killer.

MCB Feedback

New England Waterman, a nautical life

New England Waterman Photography
shoot to thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Old but still dangerous!

Hey dope kills, everyone knows that, Just Say NO!

http://www.edmontonpaintball.com/for...-fan-club.html
SnowDawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think for those few, like myself, who were extremely violent to begin with , they can provide a relatively harmless channel for what was already there to begin with.

The game I have found the most addictive is a little known simulator called 'Steel Beasts' for tanks(I was a tank crewman in the army). Steel beasts also happens to be the simulator program used by most of the armies of NATO. A great quote from the old forum was when a player complained that his french troops dismounted their personnel from the Armored PC and had no anti-tank rockets, "could those be added?". The mod responded that the french troops in the game had the weaponry specified in their contract with THE GOVERNMENT OF FRANCE and it couldn't be changed, unless the player took over france. When you discover some new twist in the game, it can theoretically save real lives as at least one of your opponents is most likely to be active duty military.

Rob

agentSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
Critics are afraid of the new, claims man behind Grand Theft Auto computer game - Times Online

Well I guess we should all stop having sex and eating too, since those activities also releases dopamine (actually, a lot of dopamine). In fact, for the betterment of our brains we should stop doing anything that is fun, since they all release dopamine.
Don't forget video games can also cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Some forms of sex can also, from what I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenlord View Post
So, evil is fun.
Fixed.

custar
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by custar View Post
Don't forget video games can also cause carpal tunnel syndrome. Some forms of sex can also, from what I hear.

custar
probably the most fun forms.

so I played GTA4.

it's awesome! but it's also very "content rich"

like, I was going to punch some guy when I accidentally hit both him and an old lady walking by. The old lady fell to the ground, picked herself up, and slowly limped away, miserably yelling "help! somebody help an old lady!"

I think that's the first time I felt sorry for hitting a minor video game character, to the point that I'll probably leave the old women alone for the rest of the game from now on lol.

On the other hand I saw someone die when he got rear ended. he just rested on the steering wheel and when I opened the door he fell to the ground.

oh, and try hitting a brick wall really fast.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by custar View Post
Use a pillow...Problem solved
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

I remember reading a thing a while back about a study showing that a game such as Myst actually induced more violent tendencies in younger gamers than playing Quake or Doom would.

But I don't remember where the hell I read it or any of the fine points other than Myst pisses people off and blowing things up can be relaxing.
y0da900 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat