mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

So apparently video games will damage your brain.

Quote:
She suggested that the extra dopamine - the chemical linked to drug dependency - produced in users could damage a part of the brain that is key to forming personality.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3828756.ece

Well I guess we should all stop having sex and eating too, since those activities also releases dopamine (actually, a lot of dopamine). In fact, for the betterment of our brains we should stop doing anything that is fun, since they all release dopamine.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Disposable Assassin

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
hmmmm, w/o dopamiene we will never be able to stop Venom from killing spiderman!

Stupid scientists and there "theories"
Old 04-28-2008, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rec Poster

So, fun is evil.

I still do not like the GTA games, I just found them redicilous (sp?) games. There is no point to them. I mean if I am going to be killing mindlessly I might as wel be killing zombies, or zombine, or something other then cops and hookers.
ravenlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

I think thats the point to it Raven. Just kill stuff mindlessly. The GTA series is so popular because it has such open-ended gameplay.

WoW needs to be banned. That game is worse than cocaine. At least cocaine addicts have some interesting stories to tell. WoW addicts just have a pile of MountainDew cans and bags of doritos to show off.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I bought Mario Kart for the Wii yesterday, and I can't get anything done at work today. I think my brain is damaged. Coincidence?

Seriously though, the new Mario Kart is AWESOME. I can race with groups of people all over the world, which is a big step up from racing my wife via split screen on the N64...
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sugar Loaded Candy Cane!

Send a message via AIM to Mstrtal Send a message via Yahoo to Mstrtal

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Ug it just won't end! Sorry my term paper is about video games. The detrimental effects of games aside they also have positive aspects as well. Unfortunately do to funding and often political considerations you almost never hear about those beneficial applications unless you dig for them yourself. (or are doing a term paper about video game effects)

All you hear about is the raised aggression and violent tendencies. You almost never hear about the increase in problem solving skills, the increased ability in regards to teamwork/building, cognitive development, retention and literacy just to list a very few.

Um sorry I just spent the last weekend virtually killing myself attempting to write a paper on this very subject. its fired my brain.

Bedknobs and Boomsticks!

Originally Posted by commandoman
Kick back and enjoy the atmosphere, sexy girls at my school keep me sane through the worst lectures by the worst professors

Mstrtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

I might have to look into that! I hang out with a bunch of people that like party games. The latest is "Audio Surf" We play the 2 player mode. 1 uses the keyboard on the laptop and the other uses the mouse and watches the screen on the TV. The game is awesome. Its like Tetris made a baby with guitar hero... using any music on your hard-drive and posting the scores to a global score-board.

Wow.. kinda OT...

So.. Dopamine is a thing that goes along with endorphins then? I don't feel like actually finding out for truth. But, if such is the case, then I am screwed.

the author of this article must have been Catholic. If it feels good, don't do it!

Its ok. I can say that... I'm Catholic. Remember, sin on Saturday, confess on Sunday.

Tal, you bring up a very good point! I have been playing video games for the better portion of my life, and I can safely say that it has not made me a violent person and has helped to keep my problem solving and hand-eye coordination skills sharp. I love puzzle games that make you focus and work as fast as your brain allows. Guitar hero and Audio Surf are 2 that I really like for that reason. That Magic Pen physics game was GREAT. I loved picking my way through those challenges.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Old 04-28-2008, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Sir Brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenlord View Post
So, fun is evil.

I still do not like the GTA games, I just found them redicilous (sp?) games. There is no point to them. I mean if I am going to be killing mindlessly I might as wel be killing zombies, or zombine, or something other then cops and hookers.
I'm the same way: I'd rather be killing real bad guys instead of hookers and cops. There's plenty of open-ended RPGs that allow all the hack & slash your violent mind could want but where you're slaying bad guys instead of being a crimminal yourself. Thus GTA is pointless in my mind. Gotta give the devs credit, though. They created a VERY successful game and are making ALOT of money off of it.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a may lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frink View Post
I just love being able to kill absolutely every living thing in a small room, including myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
We have a conscience, Carter be thy name.

Proud owner of:
Palmer's aluminum + brass...... two of 'em <3
Oh....and some mags too
Sir Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Inch of Gold

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
PBN Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier_Bill View Post
WoW needs to be banned. That game is worse than cocaine. At least cocaine addicts have some interesting stories to tell. WoW addicts just have a pile of MountainDew cans and bags of doritos to show off.
Don't forget their pixel crack (i.e. "super sweet" in game items with no intrinsic value that are given out as rewards for being a paying customer for X time or take a ridiculous amount of time to get by completing nigh-impossible game activities).

I started playing WoW back in January and I'm not very impressed so far with it's worth as a MMO. It's got Blizzard's usual sense of humor and the quest system is pretty well done, but otherwise it's just a level-grind with an F'ed up economy, like every other MMO I've played since the early days of UO. I'm hoping Age of Conan delivers on all its promises.
Mayvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

I can't play MMO's at all. I got to rank Captain Gold on BF2142 and got distracted by REAL LIFE so I stopped playing. I want to play again, but I don't see myself having much time for it. My computer time is spent foruming on my laptop wherever I may be. small puzzle games are what I like. Mind benders that my lappy can run!

Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat