mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
I'm on a boat!

Send a message via AIM to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

Transmission problem = great anger.

This may affect my castle attendance. If so, I shall rent if I have to.

Anyhow, as some of you know, my truck has been in desperate need of a transmission for...oh, a year or so now.

I finally decided to be nice to the poor thing and give it the whole deal: heavy duty transmission, rebuilt engine, headers, etc.

So, I ordered a transmission via the local auto parts store. I decided, the heavy duty transmission is fairly stout, so I could get a used one and be okay.
They had a used transmission that was billed as "inspected and tested":

From the company website:
"QUALITY: We are committed to providing customers with only the highest quality used parts. We require every part to be visually inspected and tested. We back our parts with a one-year unlimited mileage warranty."

I figured, a tested heavy-duty transmission for an occasional use truck should be more than adequate for my needs.

My first clue that there was a problem was when I received it; I moved it across the garage floor and a quart-and-a-half or so of gooey, oily, watery sludge dribbled out the dipstick hole.

I called the company and they told me to take the pan off, so I unwrapped the plastic and did so. These is the sequence of photographs from that:

It appears someone has been in this transmission before. Judging by the spray paint pattern, the company I bought it from did not go in here--note that this is a "through hole"--2 minutes with a welder or a drill would have this broken bolt out. And they didn't wait for the water to dry before spray painting it...it's fairly gooey, and my hands/jeans are silver now.

Oh! They DID include a dipstick! I think it's safe to say they never inspected this.

Note the missing bolt to the filter. I didn't check to see if that hole is stripped in the valve body...but I wonder if the bolt is in the transmission somewhere?

Yep, I don't like finding that in a filter. Mostly dirt, not metal, at least. Still, I'm not putting it in my truck. Maybe the test for termites? They sure don't seem to test for condition.

So, anyway, I told them I wanted a refund, and I want this stinking heap of turd out of my garage. They said they'd "make it right" and are telling me to "wait a few days and things will be taken care of". I suspect this means that they will send me another hunk of poo and not give me a refund.

I am most displeased. I have also been without the use of my truck for a week because of this. Argh!

Ben
Old 09-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Well what company did that? Where are you located, when I worked for LKQ they were pretty good with things like that. But it does look unchecked, clearly too by the dipstick being left with it. Any new news?
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Morbidly Sarcastic!

Send a message via AIM to Tescrash Send a message via Yahoo to Tescrash

God, that is horrible....just the filter alone is enough to get pissed about. What model of truck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Of A-5
I thought you were serious for a moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurtcow
I am. That's a dude that desperately wants to be a chick.
Tescrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

My father used to work at reconditioning plant many moons ago and has stories about similiar occurances. They most likely stripped it with some de-greaser and shot it with paint, slapped it on bench and spun it a few times and called it could. The best thing to do when buying a motor or tranny from the autoparts store is to either buy "New" or "Remanufactured" never used. Good luck.

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
I'm on a boat!

This is for a 1987 Ford F150 4x4, so it's not exactly a rare transmission; the C6 is pretty bulletproof so I figured it would be okay, especially with the guy spouting off about how thoroughly the transmission was inspected and tested.

I mean, the only things in these are the valve bodies, a vacuum modulator and the bands. They're indestructible, and I've got no doubt this one could be rebuilt quickly and easily. They use the same C6 behind the 7.3 turbo diesel and big block drag race cars as the heavy-duty transmisiion.

But, that's not the point.

The point is, they didn't even wait for the water they sprayed on (and IN!) it to dry before painting it. They cut the wires to the neutral start switch (which I don't care about) and broke the shift and downshift linkage off. I don't care about those either...except that it shows a level of disregard greater than those of my local salvage yard, who I didn't trust to give me the same transmission for half the price.

In other words, they lie about inspected and tested and up the warranty (local yokels are 90 day, these guys go a year) to sell the same junk with less regard for the consumer...me.

I'm not going to mention the names of the companies until the issue is resolved. Then I'll post about the overall experience, but at the moment it's not been too positive, although the customer service has been very cheery and (verbally) helpful.

We'll see how it turns out, but I'm hopping mad and I want a refund, not the transmission that they apparently shipped me when I first called about the thing being full of water--before I took the pan off and sent them photos.

I'll bet they wish they'd never asked me to take the pan off...I would have accepted the replacement transmission if I thought the first one had filled with water during shipping...for what it's worth, they didn't bother putting anything in the dipstick hole when they shipped.

Grrrr.

Ben
Old 09-18-2006, 12:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
I'm on a boat!

Well, that went better than expected.

The Customer Service person has sent a truck to pick up the offending transmission, and says that my pictures were sent to management for review and investigation.

Since I requested a refund, they will be giving me a receipt when they pick up the transmission; the auto parts store will give me a full refund.

I will post again when that happens. I'm not holding my breath, but this has been very smooth so far.

I still don't have a transmission, but I'm gonna try to get one today.

Ben
Old 09-18-2006, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Your best bet may be to go to the yard and try to find one that has not been removed from the donor with a sledge hammer

Otherwise that's a pretty crappy situation!

Good luck Bro!

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to SN toter

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I have had pretty good luck with junkyard trannys, find a reputable junkyard in your area and give them a call, it'll prbably save you a few bucks too. Good luck man
Old 09-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

I buy all my used parts from http://www.lkqcorp.com/home/home.asp mainly because I worked there and know that they trained me well and everyone who works their. Just a suggestion. Best of luck.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Summit's line of C6 transmissions.

Both B&M and TCI have excellent reputations.

HTRN
HTRN is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat