mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #51 (permalink)

talk about hysteria.

How many here really know anything about police training - or actually, lack thereof? Not their fault, they are under-budgeted.

How many here have actually been in situations that they believed to have been life-threatening and can actually say that they never ever made even the slightest mistake in judgement during said circumstance?

How many here can say that they can accurately identify every single firearm, lookalike or gun-like object, in the dark, in the rain, when out of breath and in circumstances that training has led you to believe requires extreme caution and is extemely dangerous?

To illustrate the above: highly trained military aviators with all kinds of high-tech assistance have more than once shot up their own or an allies hardware and people.

The causes of this particular issue are legion: lack of proper training for law enforcement, lack of responsibility by real and fake gun owners, deliberately manufacture of 1-to-1 replicas by people out to make a fast buck, differences in laws - both within the US and trans-national, poor education regarding firearms because of pre-existing firearms hysteria in this country, poor training on the part of citizens when dealing with the police (I've been pulled on three times in my life and I'm still here - none of those were deserved but they happened anyway) and etc. ad infinitum.

If it were illegal to manufacture, distribute, sell, own or posess a non-firearm look-alike - be it a water pistol, airsoft gun or paintball marker, the need for this law would be seriously under question. If brandishing or using a gun-like object in a threatening or gun-like manner were punishable across the board in the same way as using a real firearm, this proposal would be in serious question. But, it still would not eliminate cases of mistaken identity completely. As it stands, the number of 'fake' weapons being brandished and used in illegal manners is on the increase and needs to be addressed.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:10 PM   #52 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Satclaire View Post
Outside some fairly well defined circumstances, running from the cops is not, by itself, a crime. Driving over the speed limit for any reason is, of course, illegal. I'm talking about someone who has not committed a crime responding to the sight of a cop by taking off on foot down a public street.

As for the DP, getting into a discussion of what's faster and can actually be implemented in accordance with the Due Process clause seems... well, this is pretty clearly not the place for that

I should be more clear then.

In a situation where the dude did commit a crime and ran from the police, then yadda yadda. I made my statement with that assumption, that the police were chasing him for a specific reason (such as he killed somebody, stole something, etc.).

Okay I can see what you are talking about now. If a police officer happens to stroll into your vicinity for whatever reason then "running from the police" or even just walking in a different direction or what have you is of no concern to me. That situation is absolutely different from what I was addressing on the case mentioned about the guy pulling up his pants and running.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #53 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
I should be more clear then.

In a situation where the dude did commit a crime and ran from the police, then yadda yadda. I made my statement with that assumption, that the police were chasing him for a specific reason (such as he killed somebody, stole something, etc.).

Okay I can see what you are talking about now. If a police officer happens to stroll into your vicinity for whatever reason then "running from the police" or even just walking in a different direction or what have you is of no concern to me. That situation is absolutely different from what I was addressing on the case mentioned about the guy pulling up his pants and running.
Now that we're on the same page about how running from the cops is itself not an offense, please explain why someone who, say, committed the non-violent offense of stealing a pair of Nikes from the local Foot Locker and then ran from the cops should be shot in the back as he's running away. We'll stick to your hypothetical here, arms out and clearly non-theatening, rather than deal with the "pulling up his visibly sagging pants" context. I look forward to seeing the explaination after I get back to my desk from the gym
Air Power Vector... a MAN's gun....... A gun with a report loud enough that lesser players will pee themselves in fright at the massive concussion wave emmited by the stout thick walled barrel of DOOM. A paintball gun fit for Arnold in the original Terminator movie. A gun that'll pump up those pect's of yours to where women will swoon at the raw muscles you'll soon have.

Air Power Vector, for the man that has climbed to the peak and wants to look down on the beaten and defeated opponents left in his wake.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #54 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
****er stole the shoes. That's punishable by death. Can't have Chinese slave labor children if all of our shoes get stolen. Gotta keep the economy rollin.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #55 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
er stole the shoes. That's punishable by death. Can't have Chinese slave labor children if all of our shoes get stolen. Gotta keep the economy rollin.
Touche, sir, touche.
Air Power Vector... a MAN's gun....... A gun with a report loud enough that lesser players will pee themselves in fright at the massive concussion wave emmited by the stout thick walled barrel of DOOM. A paintball gun fit for Arnold in the original Terminator movie. A gun that'll pump up those pect's of yours to where women will swoon at the raw muscles you'll soon have.

Air Power Vector, for the man that has climbed to the peak and wants to look down on the beaten and defeated opponents left in his wake.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #56 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
This has gone off topic and I think it is time to let it die.
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat