mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Bikes (The Peddle Kind)

Until about a week ago, I hadnít ridden a bike in a good 7 years or so. I think my old bike is toast since it was in my momís garage when it flooded with over a foot of water two or three years ago now, so it honestly wouldnít be worth shipping plus the cost of getting it all fixed. That one was a Trek that I really enjoyed and loved to ride.

Iím currently searching for a new bike- not a motorcycle, the quiet kind to be used under peddle power. Apparently I am either really out of touch with bike offerings or pricing or something now. So far Iíve mostly found either the lower end heavy framed Walmart/Fred Meyers specials or the super high prices brands like Kona, and Trek.

The other day I came across a place selling Giant bikes for fairly reasonable prices. Have any of you guys heard of these? Are they any good? The one thing I wasnít too crazy about was the sort of weird frame design. The design the girl showed me last night looks very similar to the traditional woman style bike, which just isnít comfortable as I tend to whack my knee on the bent part of the frame while peddling.

Used bikes in the area arenít very plentiful (disadvantage of living in Alaska). The choices are pretty limited to either the super high end ones going for more than a month of rent or someone reselling last yearís Walmart special for $50.

Am I insane to look for a decent quality mountain (type) bike for $200-$300? Iím not doing any super heavy riding; I donít need disc breaks or a zillion different speeds. This isnít for plummeting down the side of a rocky mountain, just some light trail riding and dealing with a lot of bumpy terrain with loose gravel.

So, are there thoughts or recommendations from the bikers out there? Any thoughts on what I should be looking for? I hate to end up wasting $100 on something cheep, ending up hating it, and buying a good one next year. It just seems like a waste.

Thank you for your opinions. I think I have all I need to find a bike in state with the options I am interested in, that won't cost me more than my rent.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3

Last edited by Listessa; 05-11-2008 at 04:12 AM. Reason: sick and tired of people not reading what I posted and telling me stuff that doesn't apply.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listessa View Post
The other day I came across a place selling Giant bikes for fairly reasonable prices. Have any of you guys heard of these? Are they any good? The one thing I wasn’t too crazy about was the sort of weird frame design. The design the girl showed me last night looks very similar to the traditional woman style bike, which just isn’t comfortable as I tend to whack my knee on the bent part of the frame while peddling.

Used bikes in the area aren’t very plentiful (disadvantage of living in Alaska). The choices are pretty limited to either the super high end ones going for more than a month of rent or someone reselling last year’s Walmart special for $50.
It has been several years since I have bought a bike, but there have been four Giants in my family. My original one was probably purchased something like 18 years ago now (dang, I'm getting old) and is still in service. They were very good quality bikes at the time and quite light. If they haven't sold out like some manufacturers (schwinn), I would highly recommend a Giant.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Giant was a good frame in the 80-90's, have not seen what they make lately.
Check your local bike shop for tradeins.There are always people wanting the latest toy.Other than the seat, flooding should not have hurt your old trek.
RJ
Old 05-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The Giant should be fine. They haven't been that hot recently in the high-end market but in the $2-300 range there shouldn't be much difference between what they offer and what the competition offers.
Do you know the model you are looking at?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. View Post
Giant was a good frame in the 80-90's, have not seen what they make lately.
Check your local bike shop for tradeins.There are always people wanting the latest toy.Other than the seat, flooding should not have hurt your old trek.
RJ
All of the trade ins they have are either the super high end stuff or last year's Walmart special.

Honestly, it isn't feasable to ship a bike that hasn't been touched 7 years which needs tuning and who knows what else from NH to Alaska. Between a tune up and shipping I'd be paying about as much as just getting something decent at this rate, and I wouldn't have to wait all summer for my mother to take time to send it to me.

NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Old 05-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surestick View Post
The Giant should be fine. They haven't been that hot recently in the high-end market but in the $2-300 range there shouldn't be much difference between what they offer and what the competition offers.
Do you know the model you are looking at?
Nope- not really, I just don't remember at the moment. One of the moderate ones with an aluminium frame rather than the steel.
So far the only thing I've found in town in the $200-$300 range was those Giants.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Quote:
Other than the seat, flooding should not have hurt your old trek.
She might need to repack/lube/service the bearings of the crank and clean the chain. But other than it should be okay... unless it was a steel frame that rotted from the inside out.

E
Old 05-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

See if these guys ship or have a store near your end of the world

Dick's Sporting Goods - Action Sports: Mountain Biking
Ive responded to a few of your posts mentioning bikes recently.
The diamond backs are good but not listed yet, the mongoose isnt too shabby and the new hybrid style look good also. Its a mountain bike with shocks etc, but wide profile tires with street treads not knobbys
Old 05-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Nope. No Dicks up here. Sportsman's Warehouse doesn't carry bikes (checked on a whim last night).
Honestly, I wasn't really impressed with the mongoose brand that I saw up here. They seemed overly heavy and not of great quality.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Chief Waffle Stomper

Send a message via Skype™ to MadCat

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
I saw something about lubricating a crank and Dicks. what the heck are you talking about
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat