mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Some cool info on shipping tanks in priority mail

So I called the post office and then the other post office and then had a lengthy conversation with a postmaster about mailing regulations.

What it boils down to is this. If you can show that what you are shipping is not dangerous, has not had dangerous stuff in it, and can not be pressurized in shipping (i.e. you have removed a burst disk) you can ship it via air mail or priority mailing methods. Best thing to do is take the open package to the post office counter show it to the clerk, seal it up and then ship it.

Just thought I would pass that along. Any input?
Mat
matteusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I don't understand why showing it to the clerk at the post office would make any difference. They wouldn't treat the package any differently than if they never knew what was inside? And as long as it's not going across the boarder it should definitely not be opened.

I just find that I usually know more about shipping than post office clerks.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Are you talking about customs? I don't even talk with the USPS, I just pop it on the APC machine scale and ship it out.

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...=4751&f=855201 < Radio Ad
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

You are making a very big assumption that the postal clerk will know enough about paintball to understand that they are safe.

Unfortunetly, I've heard the exact opposite from postal clerks. They tell me that you can not mail any "pressurized container". Ie hairspray, 12grams, etc.. The only way to ensure that its 100% empty is for the valve to be completely removed. Guages, or screwed on ASAs, or removed burst disks are not enough for many postal workers.

Which is always the big headache when dealing with the USPS. Every postoffice seems to interpret the rules differently. For example, the my local post office is super strict. So I now drive 2 towns over to a very liberal post office.

nick

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frink View Post
I don't understand why showing it to the clerk at the post office would make any difference. They wouldn't treat the package any differently than if they never knew what was inside? And as long as it's not going across the boarder it should definitely not be opened.

I just find that I usually know more about shipping than post office clerks.
Apparently once you get a decent understanding of things they make you start answering phone calls from guys like me. Come to think of it I often find the postal clerks under informed as well.

The difference it makes is that it is hand stamped and so the other under informed postal workers become more liberal in there assumption the package is not dangerous. I am pretty sure I can convince almost all the my local postal clerks that a canister is empty and can't be filled. Just explain the burst disk is like the lid on a jar. No lid no air. If they don't get that
maybe we should all learn to ship like Titus. Of course that is what I usually do to but just with a cheap digital scale and online services.
matteusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I didn't realize there was a problem. I never tell the clerks there are metal cylinders in the box, but they have never asked. They are always empty, but I don't remove the valve.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
is in the left gate...

Send a message via AIM to jwigum

I had someone ship me a full CO2 tank one time... I was surprised it got here.

*shrug* guess they don't catch them all.
jwigum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Damage Inc.

I always get the standard question "does it contain anything liquid, perishable or potentially hazardous"? I answer no with a clear conscience.

The term hazardous spans a wide spectrum but I still don't think an empty co2 cylinder in a taped close box is hazardous during shipment.

Jeffrey
Old 05-09-2008, 12:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to hvacman250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeshift View Post
I always get the standard question "does it contain anything liquid, perishable or potentially hazardous"? I answer no with a clear conscience.

The term hazardous spans a wide spectrum but I still don't think an empty co2 cylinder in a taped close box is hazardous during shipment.

Jeffrey
You forgot "fragile" LOL

Ive shipped HPA bottles with 3000+ psi in them Priority mail and they arrived on time. Just play dumb, use CLick and Ship service online, and drop it off.

Al I have left for sale PB related is pump related headbands and tshirts.
hvacman250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
No harm, no foul, no worries.....why bother?
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat