mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
The problems, in my opinion, are much deeper than food waste.

Walmart has the cheapest meat anywhere. If it gives it away, people aren't going to bother buying it.

And those that need it? For what? To subsidize their already subsidized living arrangements? The more you give to people, the less inclined they are to get it themselves. Don't propagate that problem.
alpha434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #22 (permalink)
Whats your boggle?

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog_TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oerllikon View Post
yeah. i heard on NPR about someone who did that. its a good idea, but its just frowned upon. id dislike walmart less if they gave the meat to people that could use it
Dumpster diving a good idea. Hmmm heres a better one, get a job and work for a living and stop depending on someone else for a hand out.
bulldog_TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Its not just walmart, all stores have to get rid of unsellable product.

Quote:
stunned them
Ive got a friend in the meat business. I once asked him how they kill the cows, he responded that they "use a stun gun" When I asked more about the stun gun, assuming it was an electronic device, he gave me this odd look, and then relised I thought the device was more complex than it was, so he showed it to me. Its a device that rams a metal spike through the back of the cows head Yeah Id say they'd be stunned allright
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oerllikon View Post
id dislike walmart less if they gave the meat to people that could use it
They couldn't.

Even if they made every sad excuse for a human being who came to take the free meat sign an iron-clad release and waiver of liability that said (in more precise language) "I promise not to sue if I am harmed by this meat"...

some ing bleeding heart jury somewhere would be allowed to listen to some plaintiff (and contingency fee) loving swine of a lawyer talk about "lack of bargaining power," "unconscionability," and the "strong public policy against enforcing contracts of adhesion." Then, Wal-Mart would have to pay $$$. Even if they settled such claims out of fear of juries awarding huge damages just because twelve hicks thought poor tiny tim deserved the money more than big bad Wal-Mart... still a very expensive process.

Amusingly, those potential jurors would probably, if you asked them, say "Of course Wal-Mart should be giving that meat to the hungry!" Bastards.

Disclosure: yes, I'm a member of the defense bar; yes, I'm deeply prejudiced against plaintiffs, more so against plaintiff's lawyers, and far, far and away more so against the jurors and class-action certifying judges that allow the system to be as laughable as it is now; but no, my firm doesn't represent Wal-Mart
Air Power Vector... a MAN's gun....... A gun with a report loud enough that lesser players will pee themselves in fright at the massive concussion wave emmited by the stout thick walled barrel of DOOM. A paintball gun fit for Arnold in the original Terminator movie. A gun that'll pump up those pect's of yours to where women will swoon at the raw muscles you'll soon have.

Air Power Vector, for the man that has climbed to the peak and wants to look down on the beaten and defeated opponents left in his wake.
John Satclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

Sad but true....the key word here is liability.
Back when I was in high school, I worked at McDonald's. The owner used to take the out of time food. (10 minute old burgers) and freeze it right away. At the end of that day or within a few days, the local food shelter would come pick it and the outdated buns up for the soup kitchen. Corporate caught wind of it and stomped it right out. It seems that good will does not weigh as heavily when you are looking down the barrel of a million dollar law suit.

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
mrwisker is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat