mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Even more nuclear reactors that are breaking ground are going to affect the price. It will come down. That said, I am looking into DIY solar heat collection for this winter. Before that, I hav to make sure my house is super insulated. I was workign on that before the oil hike, just because I am a cheapskate, and hate seeing waste. This price going up has slowed my progress, since I don't have the money to do more at a time.
The greatest want of the world is the want of men- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by it's right name, men who's concience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
If you're for this petition, it seems like to be consistent you should be in favor of nationalizing our oil industry or at least making sure the government isn't signing away royalties to oil companies that drill on public land.
This is easily handled by the rental agreement with the land, maybe a percentage of the sale price or something? This should offset any problem of them selling to other nations without nationalizing, or fixing prices.

Why do people just jump at the chance to nationalize, or fix prices when there are so many other options that will keep the free market free, and still not give away the farm?
The greatest want of the world is the want of men- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by it's right name, men who's concience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

Send a message via AIM to d4rksabre

As much as I hate the price of gas now, this oil crisis needs to happen. This kind of thing is the catalyst for change and will really push automotive companies to find other ways to power cars. We're going to need this technology at some point anyways, it's just too bad that it takes stuff like this to really push the advancements forward. I'll pay the price now if it means that we'll have alternative fuel cars sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
Isn't it the case that because of the global market for oil, there's no guarantee that oil that is produced domestically will end up in the USA market? That is, oil could be pumped out of ANWR and shipped directly to China and India where the economies are growing and oil consumption is increasing dramatically (as opposed to falling as it is hear and in the EU). I heard on an hour-long call-in program last week that the estimates for increasing domestic oil production would be a drop in the bucket (~2% of global production IIRC).

If you're for this petition, it seems like to be consistent you should be in favor of nationalizing our oil industry or at least making sure the government isn't signing away royalties to oil companies that drill on public land.
We Import almost 10 times what export
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../print/us.html

Oil - production:
8.322 million bbl/day (2005 est.)
Oil - consumption:
20.8 million bbl/day (2005 est.)
Oil - exports:
1.048 million bbl/day (2004)
Oil - imports:
13.15 million bbl/day (2004)
Oil - proved reserves:
21.76 billion bbl (1 January 2006 est.)

China's government run oil company is the worlds first trillion dollar company. I don't see us exporting to them or India.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
aren't the reserves for times of peril like war? what do we use in a war if we use those up now?

IMO the source of the oil factor in less than the big oil companies. they are making record profits. wasn't that the reason for a hearing a short time ago? In that case we should do something about the CEO's not the locations.
You'll notice most large oil companies are publicly traded. You're free to buy their stock if you don't mind the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
So what if they have record profits? Are we supposed to laud over failing businesses, and demonize anyone who has the "gall" to make a profit?
It's true, other industries are applauded for turning a profit. No one seems to mind a 200% markup on an ipod or banks turning record profits year after year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdawg View Post
BAD IDEA! A nationalized program will lead to horrible inefficiencies in expl oration and development. It would turn into another government run gong show where the lazy thrive.

People don't realize that:

1. Oil companies purchase the mineral right from the government in an open bidding process. Currently for oil plays this can be $3000+ per hectare and lead to millions of dollars for a drilling spacing unit. Think of it like ebay for oil rights, except its a sealed bidding process.

2. Oil Companies then shoulder all the exploration risk. Seismic work, geologly, drilling etc If the well doesn't work you get nothing back

3. If Oil companies do find Hydrocabons, they then pay a percentage of the profits (call Royalties) to the government. In Canada, this can range from 20% to 40%.

So what's this mean? The government gets money to give people the opportunity to explore, they don't have to take any risk or spend any money developing the resource, and they get a large chunk of the profit. Alberta's royalties scheme recently went through a review/update to adjust for high market prices. The higher the price of oil and gas (natural gas) goes, the higher the % of Royalties.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Moderating in Moderation

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rksabre View Post
As much as I hate the price of gas now, this oil crisis needs to happen. This kind of thing is the catalyst for change and will really push automotive companies to find other ways to power cars. We're going to need this technology at some point anyways, it's just too bad that it takes stuff like this to really push the advancements forward. I'll pay the price now if it means that we'll have alternative fuel cars sooner rather than later.

that's been said during every single gas crisis

gee - there's something for us baby boomers - we've lived through every gas crisis.

and might I add -
Name:  motivator8926184.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  81.8 KB
Politically, Socially and Aerodynamically Incorrect
Everything I have ever loved is immoral or illegal
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.
stewart potter common sense, elephant and duck tests
Force this into a gaussian distributed parabolic curve!

Last edited by oldschool; 06-12-2008 at 11:04 AM.
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

Send a message via AIM to d4rksabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post

that's been said during every single gas crisis

gee - there's something for us baby boomers - we've lived through every gas crisis.

and might I add -
Attachment 4470
lol as funny as the picture is, i still believe it's a good idea to search out alternatives to oil for fuel. Unfortunately it never gets the strong backing it needs until we're in situations like this. Oil WILL run out eventually, we just keep delaying the inevitable every time we go through one of these crises. If this whole thing gets resolved you'll see alternative fuel research drop off drastically until we see another crisis 20 years from now. Then everyone will be sitting here wondering why we stopped researching it.

We can't put it off any longer or else one of these days we're really going to screw ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Sir Brass

Saying this gas crisis is going to speed up alternative fuel programs is like trying to draw blood from a turnip......ain't going to happen.

This is when idealism refuses to see that it's hit a brick wall and that reality isn't budging. The problem is finding a more economicly viable source of fuel that has as much potential energy per unit volume for combustion that petroleum fuels (gasoline, diesal, jet fuel, etc.) have. Ethanol sure doesn't and it's far more expensive to produce and in doing so robs the populace of valuable foodstuffs. Hydrogen isn't dense enough and the risk of it in pressurized storage form is very high....one spark and BLAMMO, mini-hindenberg. Gasoline burns. Hydrogen fuel explodes. Hmmm. And, those are the two real possibilities. Electric cars lack the range (and unless large battery tech takes a massive leap forward, it's going to stay that way) and the power to really drive anything other than featherweight cars and novelty college projects.

So, yeah right this crisis needed to happen.

I'm all for ceasing oil speculation. That'll take that 30% of the price right out of the equation. People are getting filthy rich off of falsely inflating the idea that oil is super scarce (a myth), and we're all paying them. I hope this supposed bubble bursts soon, b/c it's getting to the point where I may just have to suck it up and start taking a longer commute to work by using the slower and inefficient Phoenix bus system, b/c though it may be slow and inefficient it would certainly cost LESS to travel on than it would to drive.

And, about export: at this current time, I'm of the opinion that US oil is for Americans and no one else, thus not a barrel of OUR oil should be going overseas. Not when our current economy is hurting for oil. Even if its a small amount, more barrels of oil in the US market the more the supply and speculation be damned.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a may lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frink View Post
I just love being able to kill absolutely every living thing in a small room, including myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
We have a conscience, Carter be thy name.

Proud owner of:
Palmer's aluminum + brass...... two of 'em <3
Oh....and some mags too
Sir Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Brass View Post
And, about export: at this current time, I'm of the opinion that US oil is for Americans and no one else, thus not a barrel of OUR oil should be going overseas.
How do you stop a company that drills oil out of public land, or private land, fo r that matter, from selling to whomever they want?

MCB Feedback
sdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Sir Brass

Export regulations. Make it not worth their while to sell overseas.

With that said, though, nationalization is a baaaaaad idea. But it's just not right that while we're suffering from disgustingly high gas prices that we're selling to anyone but our own people.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a may lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frink View Post
I just love being able to kill absolutely every living thing in a small room, including myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
We have a conscience, Carter be thy name.

Proud owner of:
Palmer's aluminum + brass...... two of 'em <3
Oh....and some mags too
Sir Brass is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat