mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Vehicle title questions

What does one have to do to get a title for a vehicle that has none?

1st case, I have 2 Suzuki GS500E's. One titled and on the road, the other wrecked about 3 years ago, title gone, and have a bill of sale for it. (Worse comes to worse, its a parts bike)

2nd case, my wife wants a scooter for the 2 mile commute to the trolley stop and small runs to the grocery store in town. Ive found 2 scooters, titles lost, and both have been used as bikes around campsites. 1 guy has a bill of sale from the fellow he bought it from.

Any ideas folks?
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
i'll talk to my father in law, he owns a notary in PA, give me a day or so

"Do you smell a skunk?"
-really?!? You had to be there

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
bmann61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Best to contact your DMV/secretary of state office. It does vary quite a bit by state, and they should be able to tell you exactly what to do. It might even be on your state website somewhere if you dig deep enough.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was told that here in PA you have to send out for a new title in a state that will accept a bill of sale, then transfer it to PA. Another possibility would be to take the whole bike apart, photograph it and take it to the DMV and re-title it as a reconstructed bike. It has been a while, so I may be remembering these incorrectly.
pintbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Here in Ga you go down and do a title search. Find out who the old (titled) owner was and usually the easiest thing to do is to obtain a signature from that individual. In cases where all I had was a bill of sale, unless the vehicle was older than I want to say 12 years, then I had to go through that process.
There is also an abandonment law here that allows for obtaining a title on a vehigle left on your property for "x" legth of time, but I am unsure of what that entails.
punkncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
My brother did this with a crotch rocket he built. We found it at a garage sale, a frame and 3 boxes of parts. When he finnally pieced it together he went to get a Salvage title for it. However, when they looked up the VIN number it still had a good title, but in a previous owners name. Not the guy he bought it from, someone before that, and the contact info wasn't any good anymore. So here's the trouble. Since my brother didn't even have a bill of sale the title holder could still claim the bike was his. We couldn't contact the guy since he had moved somewhere. The DMV told my brother he'd have to hold on to the bike for 3 or 4 years (can't remember the exact number of years, sorry) before the title would clear. It eventually did though.

Nunquam emere potes facere
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Buy your wife a friggin' car man. Scooters are even less useful and about 10x as dangerous as a motorcycle.

Pony up the money for gas and a little steel around her and maybe you will save a life.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I still don't get that.
Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
ok azzy here is the info,

you need to apply for a lost title. you need to head to a local notary with your bill of sales and let them know what you need, pay some fees (the reissue of a title and the fee to the notary) and presto a few weeks later you have a title from the keystone state.

although i must concur with Drum

"Do you smell a skunk?"
-really?!? You had to be there

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
bmann61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
Buy your wife a friggin' car man. Scooters are even less useful and about 10x as dangerous as a motorcycle.

Pony up the money for gas and a little steel around her and maybe you will save a life.

D
She has a car, my saturn... and the explorer.

I understand your bias, but even she wants out of the cage every once and a while.

And being she is more paranoid than I and is going to be wearing more gear than most guys on full size bikes do, Im not as worried. Just wait, with gas prices like these and climbing, your going to see a lot of areas start to look like Europe and Asia when it comes to scooters, bicycles and motorcycles (and those goofy smart cars..). More bikes on the road and less big cars makes for a safer enviroment for riding.

Now if only we can get a legal cell phone jammer, thats gonna make more people safe than if we all drove foam cars at 5mph.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Slayer of Care Bears

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Magic carpets don't need titles!

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat