mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
we have gas and electric round these parts
Old 06-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

I can actually store them in the basement where the oil tank is. There is a window there that I can replace with a hatch/chute so that I can have a bin to drop bags (or bulk loose pellets) into.

Now I just need to get the tank out and disposed of.... of course that was wear I'd originally wanted to put the wood lathe

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Icognito Remiss Firebrand

Send a message via AIM to Eress Pnter

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
I can actually store them in the basement where the oil tank is. There is a window there that I can replace with a hatch/chute so that I can have a bin to drop bags (or bulk loose pellets) into.

Now I just need to get the tank out and disposed of.... of course that was wear I'd originally wanted to put the wood lathe

E
get bagged...
or turn your own pellets individually.

Eress Pnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Harb I have a gas powered boiler in the basement that generates steam to "feed" my radiator system. In theory it's an efficient system, but in practice at my house, which was built in 1926, it is far from it. It's very expensive to keep my house warm in the winter using the boiler.

I can't switch to hot air as installing ductwork would be damn near impossible.. so the next best bet is a stove and the installation of some vents in floors/ceilings and tops of walls to help move air up from the first floor to the second floor.

E
Old 06-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
Icognito Remiss Firebrand

Send a message via AIM to Eress Pnter

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
actually the next best bet is to install a coal or pellet boiler, and use the radiators with hot water, not steam. problem is it's about 6K+ in costs.

Eress Pnter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

That's ok... using the stove in the living room with vents will heat the two most used rooms in the house, seeing as the master bedroom is above the living room. Kitchen is warm when we are in their cooking.

E
Old 06-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Harb I have a gas powered boiler in the basement that generates steam to "feed" my radiator system. In theory it's an efficient system, but in practice at my house, which was built in 1926, it is far from it. It's very expensive to keep my house warm in the winter using the boiler.

I can't switch to hot air as installing ductwork would be damn near impossible.. so the next best bet is a stove and the installation of some vents in floors/ceilings and tops of walls to help move air up from the first floor to the second floor.

E
I hear rabbit fur will keep you warm.

One of these days when I get up north I will have to learn about all this.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Yeah we can't all just lay out in the sun to keep warm like you southerners... and 60 degrees isn't parka weather here either

Heat Mizer!
E
Old 06-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

I'll preface this with the statement that I don't own and have never used a pellet stove. I like wood stoves for a few simple reasons the primary being that it doesn't need electricity. If the power goes out I still have heat, I also have a ready supply of free wood so I don't have the expense of getting pellets.
Have you considered using it to do radiant floor heating? It sounds like you may need to re-do the entire heating system regardless of what you go with. you may be able to use the exisitng plumbing if it's not too bad. I hope it's been replaced since 1926 (my house was made in '24 but I have baseboard hot water).
Good luck, there has to be a HVAC guy on the board here somewhere.
Tug

Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE, APP and GI Sportz

Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email or call 203-906-9621.
Tugboater203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Yeah we can't all just lay out in the sun to keep warm like you southerners... and 60 degrees isn't parka weather here either

Heat Mizer!
E
I have never owned a Parka. Jax actually gets in the 30's during the winter which enabled me to wear one of my leather jackets. Here it will be 85 in the day and 30 over night, that gets cold because of the drastic change over a short period of time.

You could always bulk up and add some insulation.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat