mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #21 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Harb... bulking up is hard to do since I have the metabolism of a rabid squirel.

Tug- radiant would be a possiblity for down stairs... but at this point we are years away from ripping out walls (plaster and lathe) and ceilings to install it up stairs. We have steel pipe insulated with asbestos for all of the steam system... and the radiators (and Al can attest to this) are big things that stand 3 feet tall with the covers over them that have the perforated tin fronts. I had to use a hand cart with a stack of boards on it to move the one in the foyer when we re-did the floor.. they are heavy bastards!

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Evil God of Nogoodniks

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
Harb... bulking up is hard to do since I have the metabolism of a rabid squirel.

E
It will eventually go away. I could try and mail you some nice hot humid sunshine.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

I would also suggest hot water boiler instead of steam. You can use the same radiators you have too, it ends up much cheaper to run that way, and safer too. Probably your biggest and best investment would be to upgrade your insulation.

Slow rise foam is both a good insulator, and infiltration stopper. Windows and doors, etc..

All that said, pellet stoves are nice for taking the chill off the house in the fall and spring, so you don't have to fire the main heat as early, or run it as late. You can keep your main thermostat much lower too, and keep your main room nice and warm.

Wood stoves, at least around here are very hard to get home owners insurance to cover you with. The creasote (sp) build up in the flue's and stuff adds up to alot of maintenence and fuss, and mess.

I'd go with the pellet stove if I had the money.

Sawdust will always be with us, that is the main ingredient. Most pellet stoves can also burn corn or peach pits, other things work as well.

They burn cleaner, and have much less maintenence.
The greatest want of the world is the want of men- men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by it's right name, men who's concience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Can't speak for supply & cost of pellets on the east coast, but let me relate to the west coasts issues.

Logging out west 10 or more years ago was a booming business, plenty of lumber being made for building homes, pulp wood for the paper mills and enough cull wood for chipping and pellet production.

In recent years the logging has been shut down to @ 20% of past years.
The cost per foot of marketable timber has gone threw the roof !!
Logs are so valuable these days they use EVERY part from bark to core wood (Peelers) as ways to maximize recap of $$$ for processing.
No longer is there much salvage (Chip timber) for pellet stove fuels, and the cost per bag of pellets has more than tripled in the past 5 years reflecting this trend.

While I would agree on EASE of USE with pellets, you are tied to the use of the actual processed pellet product for the stove to work ... either that or you can burn dog food or dried rabbit droppings

In a Wood stove you can BURN most anything combustible, wood, coal, corn husks, dried cow shi*, Old patio furniture ect.

Just food for thought .....
Old 06-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

For a different perspective, I supplement my heat with a wood / coal stove. I burn wood when it's warmer out, spring and fall, but whenever it's cold enough for a good draft I burn coal. Coal is cheap for the heat it gives out, and the new stoves are just as easy to use as pellet stoves. Some coal stoves burn so cleanly that you don't need to hook it up to a chimney, you can directly vent them outside. Seriously, coal is a really nice heating source, why do you think they were so popular back in the day when wood was even more abundant than it is now?

Check out this stove;

Link to product page

At least if you get a wood / coal stove you'll have options. You live near a coal producing region, call around and find out how much it is per ton, you'll be surprised.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

My parents had a pellet stove...It didn'tseem to heat the house up[ like the old wood stove did. You can't cook on a pellet stove either....but on a wood stove you can! Like said before, if the power goes out you're screwed with pellets....
E-Blazer #2567
Blazer #819
Typhoon #640
Cherry Pyre #38
2k Blazer #2114D
Lori Series Blazer #2129-SOLD
POG #1028
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to op4_camper Send a message via MSN to op4_camper Send a message via Yahoo to op4_camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
Also, pellet stoves can run on corn, so fuel really shouldn't be a problem. And iirc, they are less labor intensive to install, so the initial cost should be less. My inlaws have one in their house and two in their store, and they prefer them to their old wood stoves.

Some stoves run on both not all. You want one that runs on both. The nice thing about corn is its a renewable energy source.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #28 (permalink)
wes

Wood stove

I have a wood stove so I am somewhat partial; if you are willing to work at it you can get your wood for free. I just picked up a new (to me) EPA approved wood stove that I will be installing in my living room. I got a great deal from Craig’s list, only paid $250 for the stove and hearth pad. Pellets prices on the other hand will probably increase as demand and production costs rise. Take a look at this website, very informative. There are forums dealing with both wood and pellet stoves. There is also an energy calculator so you can compare different fuel sources.

Hearth.com - Information on Gas Fireplaces, Wood Stoves, Gas Logs, Pellet Stoves, Fireplaces, Chimneys and Hearth Products
Attached Images

wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Ive been meaning on looking into both of those, but i have a different issue.. Crappy fireplace, back of the house isnt heated well, and Heather likes the look of the fire going in the fireplace, soa wood stoive is kindof out for us.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
B
Retro grouch

Here is how I am looking at it wood pellets are from salvage and are quite easy to store. Wood on the other hand has to be found, cut, seasoned and sored. Storage of wood is a big deal as 3-4 cords of wood take up a lot of space. Pellets on the other hand are bough by the ton, one ton is one 48x 48 pallet. 3-4 tons can be store in less space than one cord of wood.

I am currently looking for a supplemental wood pellet boiler for my house . ( forced hot water)

New England Wood Pellet - Home Page

I think we are being hit by a tsunami of stupidity.
Paintball is a game of honor, play it that way!

Nelson Owners Group

RIP Grifyn
B is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat