mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Post Whore

I thought Friday the 13th was yesterday.

Just a vent, here. One of those days and I have to get stuff out.

We're remodeling the frame shop at work. So nothing's where it's supposed to be, they outsourced the remodel plans to a cross-eyed monkey with moderate head trauma, and we uncovered every speck of dust that had landed in the shop in the last ten years.

Black mats and clean glass are magnets for dust. Half my work is recleaning it.

Management dumps all the hanging, moving, and breaking stuff onto the guys--IE: me. So I'm doing twice the work as most of the people there, getting half the credit they do for putting stickers up, and having to tell them at every turn that I put stuff up how the planners did, that they're wrong.

And in the midst of all the work, I still get shoved onto the counter to help customers, instead of the other two able-bodied workers.

My lunch break was delayed an hour and a half. Couldn't even read my book--page 214 went on to 119, went on for fifty pages, and picked back up on 285.

So! I fight traffic for twenty minutes after work to get to Barnes and Noble. I know where the book is, I'm on may way back--five minutes in the store, max--and hear a crash and screaming from the cafe. Gods know I can't leave well enough alone, went running to see if I need to tackle someone or run, and there's a lady on the ground in the midst of--in my limited judgment of such--a stroke. A seizure of some sort, at least. Jerking on the floor, one arm stiff, foaming at the mouth and gurgling.

One guy had the wits to call 911, but was just ignoring everything else. One of the women rolled the lady on her side, but was pressing her head up to her shoulder resting it on her knee. And the few people that weren't standing around with their mouthes open were yelling useless advice. "Is she breathing? Is she breathing?", "Start CPR!' and "get her some water!" without actually doing anything.

No one else is actualy checking, so guess who gets to play medic. I end up having to shove through a crowd, kneel next to a puddle of spilled coffee and urine, and dodge flying spittle to check a spasming woman's pulse and breathing, tell some other random woman to stop bending her damn neck, make sure she's not choking on her drool or tongue, and make sure the woman holding her keeps her concious--dunno if that applies to strokes, but you're not supposed to sleep after head trauma, I think--so I can yell and shoulder my way through a crowd to keep the doors open for paramedics.

Who then had to yell and casually toss people out of the way so they could get a stretcher to the woman.

The EMT's and paramedics here, I salute you. Wasn't you this far into Brandon, was it, Titus?

She was breathing, on oxygen, and partially concious when they wheeled her out.

During this ordeal, I realized just how seldom I actually panic. Adrenaline kicks in, autopilot goes on, and what needs to get done gets effing done.

And what actually made me laugh, at the end? I remember, bright and clear, checking her breathing, looking at her foaming lips and thinking "god dammit I hope I don't have to do CPR."

I need a week off from the damned world.

Rant: over. Sorry for the TLDR.
My MCB Feedback
My eBay Feedback
Moriearty Hobby Supply on eBay and Facebook.

Last edited by Deus Machina; 06-15-2008 at 04:13 AM.
Deus Machina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well... My Friday the 13th turned out leading to my Redux showing up
Old 06-15-2008, 03:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs View Post
Well... My Friday the 13th turned out leading to my Redux showing up
See, that just goes to show the universe has something personal.
My MCB Feedback
My eBay Feedback
Old 06-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lions, Tigers, and Bears...

Talking

You need to play pump paintball next saturday at CFP in Lakeland man.
Be there at 9:00
going_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

If you thought Friday the 13th was bad, just wait until Saturday the 14th.
comovartia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus Machina View Post
During this ordeal, I realized just how seldom I actually panic. Adrenaline kicks in, autopilot goes on, and what needs to get done gets effing done.
that is when you know you are properly trained i kinda like watching the people who run around like chickens with their heads cut off when something goes wrong...... as long as there is someone else there to help or its something i can handle myself. kicking into autopilot feels good when you dont think you just do and know everything is going to work out.

feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot to thrill View Post
I have no idea what you just said, my pbn translator is broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurtCow View Post
Do fish vaginas smell like people?
hummerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Well bravo to you sir!

Just goes to show you the amount of uneducated who don't know anything about personal health out there, but you my friend do, bravo!

I wasn't on call, thank god, but I've had calls like that. Just be thankful that someone in the crowd wasn't asking if she's going to die and the cries, personally I hate that, because it's a knee jerk reaction. Then everyone starts panicking!

Always remember ABCs when it comes to any medical issue. It always falls under ABC.

Airway- Make sure the airway is open and flowing
Breathing- Make sure air is entering and exiting freely
Circulation- Making sure blood is flowing properly by checking pulse cap refill etc.

And it honestly amazes me to hear about and see people automatic response when someone falls down CPR!!!!

I just want to hit people when they think that. If the chest is going up and down then no CPR is needed.

For the seizure patient, you did great. Placing your hand under the womans head is well painful, but it helps lessen the impact and or brain damage. And if no head trauma is present IE she fell and whacked her head directly on the curb then seized, tilt her whole body to one side so she doesn't swallow her tongue or drown.

But Deus, great job buddy.

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...=4751&f=855201 < Radio Ad
Titus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

I wouldn't consider it training. All the 'official' training I ever got was boy scouts and the limited crap we get in health class at school.

I think it comes from a childhood of nearly drowning and weekends of getting shot at.

And I really have no idea of what, specifically, to do under any such situation. I figure just about anything of the sort gets rolled on their side for shock, neck gets held straight and a check for pulse and breath.

A mouthful of spit and a crooked neck doesn't help that, stupid woman. I was worried because she had dropped a drink when she spazzed, and I was hoping she didn't inhale it.

Didn't know if she whacked her head, but I figure any sort of head trauma gets advice to keep her concious. The lady did close her eyes and 'snore' for a minute, but it may have been the woman telling her "Concentrate on breathing." after I told her to keep her awake.

I'm just glad I didn't have to give CPR. I was not up to sticking my fingers in a woman's mouth and using my shirt to wipe off drool.

And, yes, that was everyone's first reaction. She's on the floor! CPR! CPR! But does anyone actually try it? No. One guy was quieting those yells down.

And rumors started in the five minutes I was still in that place! Some guy actually told me in line "I heard she got stabbed." "No, she just had some kind of seizure." "Well, how do you know? Did you see it?" "Yes. I was checking her pulse, jackass."
My MCB Feedback
My eBay Feedback
Old 06-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Never put your fingers in a seizure patients mouth.

God forbid anything like that happens again while you're around, but remember not to do that, as you won't have any fingers if the patients mouth closes.

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...=4751&f=855201 < Radio Ad
Titus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Kinda figured that, but I still think of it as: risk loosing my fingers or let her choke?

I'd rather risk a finger than let her choke. I don't think the paramedics were there fast enough to start CPR if she needed it right then and there.
My MCB Feedback
My eBay Feedback

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat