mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Question Introducing a new dog...

I have a problem. My wife just called to tell me she is bringing home a stray dog that showed up at her school. It is going strait to the vet to get checked out, but I am assuming it will need to come stay with us at some point (perhaps as soon as tonight). I am very affraid that our existing dog is not going to like this. She is a very sweet dog, but has been very pushy to other dogs in the past, and is overly assertive in my oppinion. Any recommendations on avoiding a battle royal?

I have no desire to have two dogs, so if anyone wants to adopt one and is local, PM me. I will NOT willingly turn over any animal to the "Humane" Society, so please don't suggest that.

Also, any tips on breaking a wife of her desire to collect dogs? I specifically told her not to take the dog.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
New dog = new palmer's gun.... That should cure it.

As for the two dogs... Leashes, leashes, leashes... for both at least until you know.

CB
Sailing Blog - http://www.slightlycrewed.com
Old 06-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Maybe if your dog does get into a fight with the stray, it will convince your wife not to go picking up dogs off the street any more. But thats probably a bad way to fix that problem. As to preventing a fight, maybe just keep the stray in a completely different part of the house and fence it off or something. Or maybe have it sleep in the garage? I guess I can't really help you though since our dog stays outside all the time and gets along with mostly any dog that comes walking up our road.

Trust-MCB PBN
Old 06-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Best if they meet on neutral ground - your dog will be less defensive. Try meeting your wife & other dog on a walk. Just walk within 20' or so for a while - give the dogs a chance to smell & observe eachother from a short distance before getting close. Take your time and don't rush it. Leashes are key, but be sure that they are loose - Tension in the leash changes the dog's body language and could incite a fight.

I understand your reluctance to bring the dog to a shelter, but in most places the law is that you need to contact animal control - Even if the dog appears to be a stray, it may be someone's lost pet. Even a dog without a collar could have slipped his head out. Whatever you decide to do, ask the vet to scan the dog to see if he's microchipped.

Good luck!

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12439

My other passion: http://www.cameroncanine.com
Old 06-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Slayer of Care Bears

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
just takes time, your dog will get over it
Old 06-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Yeah, I'd think keeping them seperated would be a good deal. You've said that your dog has shown some aggression towards other dogs, but the new one might have the same tendencies too. Also even if it's had a clean medical checkout I'm sure watching it for a bit might be prudent. No need having a dogfight on your hands when you're just trying to do a good deed for a stray.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Also, if your wife wants to help strays, there are lots of shelters and rescues that could use volunteers - everything including fostering, feeding, walking, transport, PR work, and of course, cleaning. She could help a lot more animals thay way, while keeping your home from turning into an animal sanctuary.

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12439

My other passion: http://www.cameroncanine.com

Last edited by Dave Cameron; 06-17-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
I've been asking around the office, and someone knows somebody that does animal rescue. I'd much rather the dog be handled by them, I don't want to sound mean, but I want nothing to do with it.

I thought about the animal control / someone's lost pet side of this, but this dog was picked up in the Detroit "not so nice zone" and is very malnurished from what I hear. The likelyhood that anyone cares is very slim.

It was found last Friday hanging around the school all day and would not leave. A teacher (not my wife) took it home and has had it until today. Aparantly her cats didn't like it and somehow it ended up with my wife today. I don't how this happened, but thinking about it is starting to piss me off.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Not in the picture

The suggestion for having them meet on neutral ground is spot on for starters. Ideally this could happen a couple times, but since it sounds like you don't have that option, when you get them home, take them in one at a time and close your current dog in a room for a little while, while letting the new dog wander around and get its scent on things (I don't mean let it pee on anything, just transfer scent by presence). Then, close up the new dog in another room and let your current dog out to experience the new scent/presence at home. Ideally, repeat once or twice, then have leashed introductions in the house, moving up to supervised time off the leash if it seems appropriate. Feed them separately, and give each a place for water. From there the rest depends on the personalities of the dogs.
www.knightstalkerspaintball.com
www.oxcc.com
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat