mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hoarder not Whore

Its that time-o-year

Gas up the generator and stock up on water.

Fey doesn't look like it will be too bad up here in north east florida ( Jax.)
Wer'e in for a lot of rain and winds being on the east side of the circulation.

The sooner it hits land and starts to dissapate the better for us up here, of course it would be worse for the folks down sate if it goes into tampa bay really shallow and no elevation will lead to lots of flooding.

Keep your heads down folks and check in when its over!
Dave-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Yea it's sad to see people running from a TS.

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...=4751&f=855201 < Radio Ad
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Furry Tailed One

If it hits the Tampa area wish me luck! I can't believe people are running from a TS hell I would gladly play in a TS as well as a cat 1 maybe a cat 2...You just gotta get an apex and be sure you hook it right

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaluvr View Post
Skiddish is an Elliot Spitzer, if you will.
Most people don't know that skittish is the proper spelling for "jittery". Don't believe me... Look it up.
skiddish9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-D View Post
Gas up the generator and stock up on water.

Fey doesn't look like it will be too bad up here in north east florida ( Jax.)
Wer'e in for a lot of rain and winds being on the east side of the circulation.

The sooner it hits land and starts to dissapate the better for us up here, of course it would be worse for the folks down sate if it goes into tampa bay really shallow and no elevation will lead to lots of flooding.

Keep your heads down folks and check in when its over!
Where in Jax are you? We have a few other people here.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Whats your boggle?

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog_TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Yes and on the flip side of that, law suits. We've had some crappy news lately, but now not being able to run codes with the wind and bad weather, on top of not every ambulance carrying a life pack defib, it's going to be fun to say the least.
Not every amb carries a defib!? Do you mean your BLS trucks or ALS units as well?
bulldog_TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Use to be here a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
It's funny working for EMS in this county and sitting in meetings like we did today and NO ONE knew what was going on. This whole county is screwed if it hits us and here's why.

EMS in this county is divided by two things, Fire and EMS. Fire pulled rank and told commissioners that they need more people incase of anything going wrong and seeing as how it's county rules that an ambulance is not allowed to run hot when the wind is gusting over 40MPH, must EMPs will be grounded.

So with that being said, most of the EMS guys went over to Fire, double time pay, and it'll be an easy day for them.

Now for the medical side, we're screwed, as all those people who went from EMS to fire, now left all those positions open, and since we're the ONLY EMS provider for this entire county, we have no one to fill those positions.

Needless to say it's going to suck if my county gets hit.

We really tend to get crapped on everywhere don't we. It seems like nationwide EMS gets screwed everywhere it can. Here we are it, the fire dept has no EMS and doesn't respond to anything if it isn't on fire if someone calls 911 they get us and it works so much better that way I don't think I could go back to being the Fire Dept's . But most places EMS gets paid next to nothing so I can see why people would go to Fire instead. I really think EMS should have its own identity and pay us like the public service we are. Shoot, a cop with 3 months in the acadamy starts at $18 per hour fire is comparable where as a Paramedic with a year of school and training gets $12 so we are always short on staff, I average about 70 hours a week. Pay us the same $18 and people would come and we'd be good to go. As it is we're alot like you now, so many open positions and noone to come help if we need it.

Here in Utah there is a group pushing to take the lights and sirens off the ambulances all together, they feel we don't need them.

Same story, anything major happens(like the huge eathquake we're suppost to get in the next few years) and we're toast. The multiple causualty insidents I've been on have all been a disaster because there arn't enough people and alot of those who do come go into hero mode(the number one patient killer) and don't listen to the insident commander because they are going to save the day instead.

Good luck, I hope you don't get hit.
bryceeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
In Miami the Fired Dept has EMT's, they are usually referred to as Fire Rescue and are free.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #18 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by going_home View Post
Like a bad penny, they just keep coming back
You mean hurricanes...or people?

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Use to be here a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
In Miami the Fired Dept has EMT's, they are usually referred to as Fire Rescue and are free.
They arn't free, they are paid for by tax money.

[rant]In my opinion this is how all EMS should be, a public service paid for by tax money. But I think it should be its own thing, Police, EMS, and Fire. All three are very different and very nessessary. In alot of citys for some reason someone once decided that it would be a good waste of money to roll Fire on medical calls. See, the Ambulance is seperate and thier Paramedics are usually better but when 911 gets called the Fire Dept Paramedics and Fire fighters roll in a fire truck then dispatch calls for an Ambulance. On scene the Fire dept medics are usually jerks to the ambulance medics and treat them like crap, however fire's intrest and skills are usually low and poor, they don't train near as much as EMS does and generally don't care as much. The Ambulance medics(who are usually much better trained and skilled) however have to put up with it because fire is in charge and frequently the fire medics decide to ride into the hospitle in the Ambulance reducing the EMS medics to handing them gear or doing buisy work. However if something goes wrong 9 times out of 10 its the Ambulance company who gets sued. Does this system make any scense to anyone? It sure doesn't to me. I've shocked alot of people and yet to have one combust, there is no need whatsoever for fire to be there on medical calls. Here in Vernal we are how it should be nation wide; if its a crime police go, if its on fire or HAZMAT fire goes, if its a medical call we go and we work together when multiple fields are needed. This saves the city A TON of money as fire isn't wasting gas going to the lady with chest pain. It also works better and the people get better care as the we don't have people trying to be Firefighters and Paramedics at the same time so they can focus strictly on skills of a medic or a firefighter. In TEMS the saying is "one person one job" and thats true, as a medic I can't arrest someone its not something I worry about, I couldn't effectivly be a medic and a rear guard, it just wouldn't work, there is no way I could effectivly do both. Nation wide EMS is kind of the bastard step child of emergency services and noone agrees on how to do it; private services, fire depts, police, city EMS, we have no national identity and because of that we get pushed wherever they want to stick us. We are paid next to nothing because we aren't health care so we aren't paid like nurses(an RN isn't in school much longer than a Paramedic) we aren't public safty so we aren't paid like Police or Firemen, noone really knows or agrees on what we are so we are paid like unskilled labor. Government needs to decide what EMS is and make it that, stop sticking us in the corner and ignoring us. Think about how bad it would be if we all just dissapeared, we do a pretty freaking important job. [/rant]

Last edited by bryceeden; 08-18-2008 at 01:09 PM.
bryceeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Whats your boggle?

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog_TT

Quote:
I've shocked alot of people and yet to have one combust

Quote:
In alot of citys for some reason someone once decided that it would be a good waste of money to roll Fire on medical calls.
Its all about funding, with the normal role of fire depts being on the downward trend they have to justify their budgets. And a lot of times fire depts only start to run a ambulance is to keep or increase their budgets.

I have never been a fan of a two tiered response plan, just for the reasons you have said.

Quote:
Nation wide EMS is kind of the bastard step child of emergency services and noone agrees on how to do it; private services, fire depts, police, city EMS, we have no national identity and because of that we get pushed wherever they want to stick us.
Thats the way its always been, and probably always will be. Paramedics and EMTs are looked at as just "ambulance drivers"
bulldog_TT is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat