mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Use to be here a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog_TT View Post
Thats the way its always been, and probably always will be. Paramedics and EMTs are looked at as just "ambulance drivers"
That is one plus side for high gas prices is that alot of citys are looking at ways to cut fuel costs and and doing away with the double response is an easy one. Like I said the system in Vernal where all three are seperate and independent works awsome, way better than any other I've seen. I'm really hoping it starts to catch on and spread.
bryceeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #22 (permalink)
Whats your boggle?

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog_TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceeden View Post
That is one plus side for high gas prices is that alot of citys are looking at ways to cut fuel costs and and doing away with the double response is an easy one. Like I said the system in Vernal where all three are seperate and independent works awsome, way better than any other I've seen. I'm really hoping it starts to catch on and spread.
Where i live at now it funny you will a amb go on a call with a engine and a squad right behind them. All for just a regular medical call. I only worked one place that had the dual response that worked well and it was only because it was a very rural area, transport times were around 35 min. That was to the closest hospital, so it was nice to have the extra hands if we needed.
bulldog_TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Speaking of gas...my town is bone dry....nada
RealtorTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
BEES BEES BEES

Send a message via MSN to Harbinger[TG]

Fan of EMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealtorTommy View Post
Speaking of gas...my town is bone dry....nada
For real.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog_TT View Post
Not every amb carries a defib!? Do you mean your BLS trucks or ALS units as well?
I mean Both. As our fleet isn't up to par with it's requirements with the county . We need in reserve a certain amount and we're not close to that. And on top of that, we won't have enough defibs for each truck going on medical calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddish9999 View Post
If it hits the Tampa area wish me luck! I can't believe people are running from a TS hell I would gladly play in a TS as well as a cat 1 maybe a cat 2...You just gotta get an apex and be sure you hook it right
I'll be waiting for that call for a guy with a tree stuck on top of him, but we'll have to wait, as dispatch I'm sure will tell us he's "armed" and we'll need sheriffs assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceeden View Post
We really tend to get crapped on everywhere don't we. It seems like nationwide EMS gets screwed everywhere it can. Here we are it, the fire dept has no EMS and doesn't respond to anything if it isn't on fire if someone calls 911 they get us and it works so much better that way I don't think I could go back to being the Fire Dept's . But most places EMS gets paid next to nothing so I can see why people would go to Fire instead. I really think EMS should have its own identity and pay us like the public service we are. Shoot, a cop with 3 months in the acadamy starts at $18 per hour fire is comparable where as a Paramedic with a year of school and training gets $12 so we are always short on staff, I average about 70 hours a week. Pay us the same $18 and people would come and we'd be good to go. As it is we're alot like you now, so many open positions and noone to come help if we need it.

Here in Utah there is a group pushing to take the lights and sirens off the ambulances all together, they feel we don't need them.

Same story, anything major happens(like the huge eathquake we're suppost to get in the next few years) and we're toast. The multiple causualty insidents I've been on have all been a disaster because there arn't enough people and alot of those who do come go into hero mode(the number one patient killer) and don't listen to the insident commander because they are going to save the day instead.

Good luck, I hope you don't get hit.
EMTs are getting $9.27 an hour in this county, starting medics are getting $11. Not bad putting yourself through an entire year of school, pharmacology, and over 220+ hours of ride time for a whopping $2 more an hour. I like but I don't like the system down here, as we are the FDs . God forbid we have an MCI or something along those lines, this county won't know what to do, as they can't even plan out for a TS coming not even close to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
In Miami the Fire Dept has EMT's, they are usually referred to as Fire Rescue and are free.
Our FDs have EMTs as well, but they are FF-EMTs, same name as well, but it's not free.

And on top of that, I got activated for a 72 hour shift starting tomorrow at 06:00, what fun it's going to be.

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...=4751&f=855201 < Radio Ad
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
The Furry Tailed One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I'll be waiting for that call for a guy with a tree stuck on top of him, but we'll have to wait, as dispatch I'm sure will tell us he's "armed" and we'll need sheriffs assistance.
If by tree you mean a large supply of wood...and by wood you mean stockpile of kp2's then yes....yes it will be me...I have uncovered a mysterious stash of kp2's and I will be armed to the teeth defending them from frink and c6 as well as others...Damn people trying to steal when a storm comes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaluvr View Post
Skiddish is an Elliot Spitzer, if you will.
Most people don't know that skittish is the proper spelling for "jittery". Don't believe me... Look it up.
skiddish9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

I have no school tomorrow
BIG-AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #28 (permalink)
Use to be here a lot

Quote:
I mean Both. As our fleet isn't up to par with it's requirements with the county . We need in reserve a certain amount and we're not close to that. And on top of that, we won't have enough defibs for each truck going on medical calls.
Man, that sucks. Fortunatly here we have supplys and equipment for double the number of employees we have in case of a MCI, including a several extra defibs just incase(we use the life pack 12 so they aren't super fancy, but they do the job) I've only been on a few where we roll the MCI trailer, but its nice to have too much gear as opposed to the opposite. Our problem is a massive shortage of people, we've got plenty of gear.

Quote:
I like but I don't like the system down here, as we are the FDs . God forbid we have an MCI or something along those lines, this county won't know what to do, as they can't even plan out for a TS coming not even close to us.
I don't think I could put up with a Fire Dept anymore, not after working without one for so long. Seriously along with all the healthcare reform everyone is screaming for they really need to reform EMS and kick fire out of it. Everywhere I go they seem to do more harm then good and they serve no purpose other than wasting money, EMS paramedics can handle everything thiers can and usually more.

Our county spends a crazy amount of time prepping for MCIs and disasters we even do atleast one full blown surprise practice run everyyear where a call goes out and everyone is activated without knowing its a drill untill we get there. We run stuff like plane and bus crashes, bombs, school shootings, everything with everyone(EMS, Police, fire) responding. We usually get a legit EMS "all call" afew times a year as we get some pretty major mishaps that the oncall crews alone aren't sufficient to handle, so the practice is definatly worth it.

Quote:
And on top of that, I got activated for a 72 hour shift starting tomorrow at 06:00, what fun it's going to be.

I know that feeling real well, have fun(just for saying that we'll probably have something break loose here and I'll be on for a marathon shift now). My record is 96 hours strait, then I got 12 hours off and back to another 72 hour shift. That week sucked(Why does it always hit the fan Christmas week?)
Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

The worst part is that we get no extra pay. Just the wonderful $8.50 an hour.

Here's out "training video" on youtube

YouTube - 12 Lead Transmission Training Video - Pinellas County EMS

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...=4751&f=855201 < Radio Ad
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
Use to be here a lot

Seriously? You guys don't get overtime pay? I'm never going to complain about my marathon shifts again. Wow, that sucks.

We usually just use a 4 lead, our transport times are pretty short and we just tell the hospitle what rythem we have over the radio along with our patient report. No transmitting abilitys from the equipment, just radios and cell phones. We get a ton of Rythem training though, so the docs tend to trust us when we tell them what we have. Actually we have alot of freedom out here, our medical control is awsome and trusts us big time.

Last edited by bryceeden; 08-18-2008 at 07:02 PM.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat