mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Judo

So, I'm very interested in taking a combat sport (I guess that's what you could call them), and exploring Chinese martial arts (i.e. kung-fu), basic karate, taekwondo and even fencing, I've pretty much effectively settled on judo. I figure it's best for my size (I'm 6'3" and 270 lbs.), and the sport aspect of it seems very down to Earth and gritty. Your objective is to slam the opponent's body into the ground (or just subdue). No sugar-coating. I like that.

But I really don't know where I'm gonna find a dojo (is that the right word?) to learn it in. I don't know how to find a reputable instructor, or just how to start. Now, I know there's a few guys here that do judo, so I was hoping for a little insight. Maybe some thoughts on the subject. Thanks for any tips!

Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Never know what you will find on You tube!

This inspire you?
711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

To make the post, yes. But I've been interested in judo for a long time. It is, however, a huge commitment, so I don't want to start wrong...

Old 08-20-2008, 03:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bruins World Order

AKA Fan
I fight MMA style, and I find for me (Light heavywight class) the following are most fun, and effective:

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Muay Thai
Russian Sambo
Taekwondo
Judo
Aikido

Personally, I like Sambo and Muay Thai more than the others, but that's also because they both have very practical uses

if it matters im 5'10 and ~195 on a daily basis and drop to ~177 for weigh-in
Seconded. Hence forth this is to be the official nomenclature of marker sales. Violators will be violated.

Last edited by StJimmy666; 08-20-2008 at 03:35 AM.
StJimmy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

The USJA (US Judo Association) and AAU probably both have contact info on their web sights. See if you can find a local option through those sources.

Local law enforcement is also a good place to look for opinions. I don't know of a police force that doesn't have at least a few guys who keep up some sort of martial arts training.

feedback

http://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

The AAU didn't have a Gulf region contact (I'm in Houston, TX), and I couldn't find any info on USJA's site. I know a few guys in blue. I'll have to ask them next time I see them.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
All bleeding stops...

Go to the Judoinfo.com and then to there forum and ask on there. they will recommend who would be good in the area for you.
I Goggled judo in Houston and there are a lot of choices.
After seeing who is who there , go to a few of them and see who fits.
I have two DOJO's within about a mile or so, but I drive 10 miles 3 times a week to help teach and practice at my favorite Sensei's DOJO.
I teach for 1.5 hrs and then work out for 1.5-2 hrs.
The key is finding someone who fits your style.
One of the reasons I do Judo is because it does not cost $150 a month like most other martial arts. All but one dojo in town is basicly free.
Find a DOJO,Join the USJA/USJF/USA org, Start out slow and Enjoy!
If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

P-3

"The two most abundant things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity" - Harlan Ellison

"The trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed." - CS Lewis
P3sWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Old but still dangerous!

You should check out Aikido as well it is a pinical of MA if you ask me, all defense and all about body mechanics, fun fun stuff, not enough dojos around me to keep taking it though.

http://www.edmontonpaintball.com/for...-fan-club.html
SnowDawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

Send a message via AIM to d4rksabre

inexpensive eh? sounds like my kind of martial arts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

I went to a school affiliated with the Nanka Yudanshakai & also the USJF. Both organizations provide a backbone of support for their member clubs. Things like systematic testing & sportive rules and other logistical help to foster the sport/art of Judo.

As it pertains to the students and their membership money... Like any umbrella organization, hopefully the members are provided with qualified instruction and a means of support to grow their level of expertise in any direction they might pursue (competition, fitness, kata, coaching, etc.)

Just from my past experiences: I was very happy with the USJF. I felt the organization cultivated opportunities for all members. From children to seniors. From those looking to compete at the highest levels (international competitions) to those basically looking for a social outlet centered around a martial art.

BTW: The USJF is holding a contest right now. They're looking for a name for their mascot.

Link:
http://nankajudo.com/files/2008Event...n_for_USJF.jpg
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat