mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rec Poster

New Mavericks and upgrades make me upset!

Does anybody other than me have split feelings about the reintroduction of mavericks and maverick upgrades? I am happy that more people will get to enjoy this gun and have it readily available, I am also happy that there is a possibility for new upgrades never seen before for the maverick. The other side of me wishes that the maverick remained in the past. I myself have a very unique maverick and I naively wish that I am to be the only one with such gun. At my field I am pretty much the lone pumper and I get a good amount of respect for it (also a lot of questions). I know it is selfish to think such a thing, but I really don't want mavericks to become like phantoms. There are so many upgrades available and so many people have them that a truly unique phantom (as in not just anno, but sheer parts as well) is extremely hard to come by (not here though as most owners of very unique phantoms post here or on phog or on scp). Anyways, leave your thoughts or experiences if this has happened to any other marker.
Maverick313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

There's one thing you'll always have that they won't: Age. Theirs will be new versions, yours is the old version.

Does it really matter what other people think about your gun? Does that make your gun any better or worse? Play. Have fun. Don't worry what others think or say. It's what you're holding in your hands and head that counts.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Frankly, I would love it if Sheridan (whomever owns it) would re-introduce their KP's modified with modern things such as a safety that works and a real velocity adjuster that don't require drilling, tapping, or have me take the damn thing apart to cut some silly spring...

I have no doubt though, the classic owners would see less a demand for their model since the new model would be, well NEW...

We all saw this when AGD "reintroduced" their sydarm and sold a bunch of them to the public... Prices of the original models that were being sold here on MCB and elsewhere, had to be priced downward because the new ones were less then what the original models were being sold for at the time.

Now who (besides the real pbcollector) is going to pay $500-$600 (or more) for a NIB Original KP-3 when, let's say they do re-introduce the kp's again, a "NEW" KP-3 goes for, say $400 or less?

And yes they did re-introduce other older pbguns to the modern market... The PGP2k1 comes to mind off the top of my head. Except the they were, for the most part, CRAP!

I've already replaced the speedloader thingie 3 times (and now need to buy more of them plastic POS's) and my first pgp2k1's valve crapped out on me after about 50 shots through it.

To compare, my 18yr old Sheridan Long Barrel still has some original o-rings and cup seal and such. If they do re-introduce older guns to the modern market, I hope they stop going the cheap route and have them last a bit longer then 50 rds. Not that I am saying the new mavericks were made using the el cheapo route.
mike31c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Are you afraid of your old gun loosing more of the waning value they have anyhow? I own 2 personal mav's, and 20 rental maverick/trracers.

Honestly, im nterested what upgrades they might have... a sliding metal trigger would be nice.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rec Poster

im not too worried about the resale value because i really dont plan on selling it. it shoots nicer than a phantom imo but anyways. The main reason is like this:
Everybody has phantoms in virtually any setup possible, really cool rare ones are hard to come by (off the top of my head: 90 framed phantom, that one blue one with the guaged lever drop out, etc.). I consider my maverick to be one of the rarest/best set-ups that you can make / buy. An influx of new mavericks will make mine obsolete and way less cool. Im realizing now im just selfish.. whatever i still like to be unique.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Im realizing now im just selfish.. whatever i still like to be unique.
I can see where you are going with this... Absolutly nothing wrong with being selfish. Besides, I sincerly doubt you have anything to worry about... Even if more and more people started to play pump games (either new semi-converts or previous pump players), only those really serious about having something unique are going to be spending $$$ on frivolous upgrades.

Just look at the sheer number of Spyder (heck even Tippmann) aftermarket stuff that's out there... Now compare that to the number of people who will actually put together something that stands out...

I see mostly stock Tippmann's and mostly stock Spyders and heck, even mostly "stock" fancy e-shooters in the hands of them twibs on the fields that I go to.

One more thing: Even if someone shows up at your field with a pbgun similar to yours... Are they going to be any "good" with it?

Last edited by mike31c; 10-11-2006 at 04:44 PM.
mike31c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
a sliding metal trigger would be nice.

I could do without the sliding, but a metal trigger would be a great innovation. I had a couple ex-rentals at one point in time that I had to part out because that dinky little plate on the trigger wore out. I pursued the idea of having a metal trigger made by Doc or Punisher, but neither ever replied to my e-mails...

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
I'm on a boat!

Send a message via AIM to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycke View Post
I could do without the sliding, but a metal trigger would be a great innovation. I had a couple ex-rentals at one point in time that I had to part out because that dinky little plate on the trigger wore out. I pursued the idea of having a metal trigger made by Doc or Punisher, but neither ever replied to my e-mails...
Aha! Another little piece to add to my list of random stuff for machining... remind me of this in November as I am getting off the ship.

Ben
Old 10-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
B
Retro grouch

To upgrade a Mav dial CCI and get a Phantom

I think we are being hit by a tsunami of stupidity.
Paintball is a game of honor, play it that way!

Nelson Owners Group

RIP Grifyn
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
To upgrade a Mav dial CCI and get a Phantom
lol for most that is very true, for mine i will pass. my maverick is lighter, more accurate, more efficiant (way more), and has a smoother pump stroke. I just wish I could get a clear handle lol.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat