mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

Hamachi is a centrally-managed zero-configuration virtual private networking (VPN) freeware application capable of establishing direct links between computers that are both NATed without requiring NAT reconfiguration in most cases. Currently available as a beta version for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc Zox View Post
Hamachi is a centrally-managed zero-configuration virtual private networking (VPN) freeware application capable of establishing direct links between computers that are both NATed without requiring NAT reconfiguration in most cases. Currently available as a beta version for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi
I've heard good things, but have no personal experience with this product.

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to eric

wait are we trying to share from computer to computer or are we just trying to make people mad at the office?

if its #2 and the computers are networked
go to the start menu click run and then type
shutdown -i you have to uncheck the box that says warn users
of action

i use this at school on the teacher all the time shes never caught on haha
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Walrus

Well, I have used some of these and here you go on some details. I personally use LogMeIn on my home computers and work computers for almost 2 years now. Easy setup and it is free if you just need remote access. It works through port 80 (http port) on all firewalls. My work doesn't allow visible external IP's due to HIPAA compliance and customer confidentiality (basically we can get out, but no one gets in). This was the only way to meed our security needs and still get remote access from home without the use of a VPN. I believe that GoToMyPC works the same or has the same functionality, but I am not for certain. If you have a VPN setup for your network, Microsoft Remote Desktop or VNC works well to connect to workstations. I have used WinVNC/RealVNC for a while and recently changed over to Ultra VNC. Works better and has more features. RealVNC/WinVNC and any other VNC or Remote Desktop will only work if you are on the same network. If you are not part of the network either locally or remotely via VNC, then these won't work unless you have a public IP which may expose security risks. Feel free to ask me questions, I don't mind.

My Gallery

History: Line SI Bushmaster; PMI-3; VMX; '97 Autococker; KP-3; Enforcer 2(possible SWARM); Spyder Sonix; Monteneel Z-1; PGP 2K; BBT Typhoon; 2k1 SP Impulse; SP MiniMag; another PMI-3; VM-Magnum; Blazer #153; Pump MiniMag; Thrasher ULE Emag; Cool Camo Micromag; '94-'95(?) Evolution Minicocker; '95 Evolution Autococker; Blazer #710; CNC X-Mag; Gold Rush Micromag; Jungle Sunset Micromag; Wild Tiger Micromag
Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supernatural Anaesthetist

Send a message via AIM to Wycke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Everyone gets a public IP? And is directly on the net? seriously? Day0 attacks must be heinous, or maybe Imisunderstood.
No, you understood. Yes, each and every "client" machine has a public, class C (I think...I can never remember) IP. That's probably one of the main reasons that 50-100 student machines get comp'd & booted off the network. Of course, that's not really my problem anymore.

On a related note, our university finally approved a major in Computer & Network Security....time to change my major (again).

s'ok...I'm takin' it back...

My Feedback Thread
Wycke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycke View Post
Yes, each and every "client" machine has a public, class C
Yowsa! I am shocked. That's so... 80's. Come to think of it, I love it!!!
Lrrpie-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
I'm on a boat!

Send a message via AIM to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

We use "Net Op Remote Control" for our remote viewing application on the ship. It's so the IT guys can see what's happening on various computers, as well as remote assistance.

I'm rather fond of logging into someone's computer and watching them play a video game during working hours...just gently nudging my mouse at critical moments

It's my game, seeing how long I can screw them up before they realize I'm messing with them, and call me to ask me to stop.

Ben
Old 10-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycke View Post
No, you understood. Yes, each and every "client" machine has a public, class C (I think...I can never remember) IP. That's probably one of the main reasons that 50-100 student machines get comp'd & booted off the network. Of course, that's not really my problem anymore.

On a related note, our university finally approved a major in Computer & Network Security....time to change my major (again).
Crazy You work for Drexel, Yes?

Gotta love a system where Major universities have more IP's allocated to them than most countries

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.

Last edited by DarkStar; 10-16-2006 at 11:15 PM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I second.. third.. umm.. yeah, Remote desktop through VPN works great using it now for work, but I find I work more at home now...
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Shiny. Let's be bad guys

Send a message via AIM to Kindred Send a message via MSN to Kindred

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
It's possible to work around NAT'ing for RemoteDesktop.

There are lots of 3rd party firewall products that allow you to maintain a list of remotely accessible machines. THis works very well for users who should only be allowed to RDP to their own workstation. (not so well for sa types who need to remote to any number of workstations/servers/devices across the network)

Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat