mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:16 PM   #31 (permalink)
Z50
Seasoned Member

The rule is based on vowel sounds, in every case I can think of, a word that starts with a vowel also starts with a vowel sound, but as you cited there are words that do not start with vowels that do start with vowel sounds. Also, I am not an English major but as is the case with most other rules there is probably an exception.

If the person posting is making an attempt to use proper English then it is in bad taste to knock on them, my issue is when the person just doesn't care. That seems to be the case of most people around here.
Z50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:36 PM   #32 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier_Bill View Post

Not only has our written language become lazy, but so has our spoekn language.

Case in point: I'd've, which is supposed to be I'd have or I would've or I would have. To make things worse (worse and worst- that's another one), many people seem to write I'd of.

Deadfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:51 AM   #33 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z50 View Post
The rule is based on vowel sounds, in every case I can think of, a word that starts with a vowel also starts with a vowel sound, but as you cited there are words that do not start with vowels that do start with vowel sounds. Also, I am not an English major but as is the case with most other rules there is probably an exception.
There are exceptions... but you are correct.

Quote:
A or An?

Brought to you by the Purdue University Online Writing Lab

"A" goes before all words that begin with consonants.

* a cat
* a dog
* a purple onion
* a buffalo
* a big apple

with one exception: Use an before unsounded h.

* an honorable peace
* an honest error

"An" goes before all words that begin with vowels:

* an apricot
* an egg
* an Indian
* an orbit
* an uprising

with two exceptions: When u makes the same sound as the y in you, or o makes the same sound as w in won, then a is used.

* a union
* a united front
* a unicorn
* a used napkin
* a U.S. ship
* a one-legged man

Note: The choice of article is actually based upon the phonetic (sound) quality of the first letter in a word, not on the orthographic (written) representation of the letter. If the first letter makes a vowel-type sound, you use "an"; if the first letter would makes a consonant-type sound, you use "a." So, if you consider the rule from a phonetic perspective, there aren't any exceptions. Since the 'h' hasn't any phonetic representation, no audible sound, in the first exception, the sound that follows the article is a vowel; consequently, 'an' is used. In the second exception, the word-initial 'y' sound (unicorn) is actually a glide [j] phonetically, which has consonantal properties; consequently, it is treated as a consonant, requiring 'a'.
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/esl/esliart.html

[rant]

Everyone should attempt to use proper grammar! AT ALL TIMES!

This includes capitalizing I!!! None of this "i play paintball lol" crap. "I" is CAPITALIZED!

[/rant]
Old 10-20-2006, 01:12 AM   #34 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

Did you major in English?
You seem to be quite the stickler for this stuff!

I can agree with proper grammar though...
But, if you start to complain about stuff like comma spliced sentences...

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:13 AM   #35 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier_Bill View Post
Did you major in English?
You seem to be quite the stickler for this stuff!
No... just a college educated human who is fed up with today's lack of on-line discipline and the general stupidity/apathy of people today. It really makes me sad and concerned for our future.

I swear... half the time I post here I'm roaring drunk(like right now )... but you just don't see me making spelling and grammar mistakes willy-nilly.

#1 I'm proud of my education and my ability to speak and write the English language.

#2 I find it insulting that people expect me to just put up with their pathetic on-line discipline. Bad spelling and lack of capitalization and use proper grammar are acts of laziness and apathy! Absolutely pathetic and shameful.

#3 I PROOFREAD ALL OF MY POSTS! A simple and easy way to make sure my posts are worthy.

#4 Did I mention I find it insulting when I see blatant misspellings and grammatical errors? WHERE IS YOUR PEOPLE'S PRIDE?!?!

#5 I'm not PERFECT and I let some mistakes slip by now and then. But some of you are truly shameful and I dread to think you are my fellow Americans(for the most part).

To answer your initial question: No... I didn't major in English. But I know how to communicate on-line with respect for my fellow forumers and would never expect them to put up with any lack of posting discipline on MY part.
The fact that so many other people on-line(here and elsewhere) seem to believe that it IS OK to subject others to their blatant laziness and apathy is truly sad and a sure sign that education and respect are both lacking in the U.S. today.

Yes... I AM a stickler on "this stuff."
I do what I can to let people know that is it NOT acceptable to be an uncaring moron.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:30 PM   #36 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Just some thoughts for you Brewtt. Some people honestly cant help spelling and grammar errors, Im one of them. Part of it is the experimental education that I was put through as a young child (we we actualt taught to spel without silent letters, ie baseball was splet as basbal) and part is my thought process. I was even told my mistakes are signs of genious by one teacher (and no it was not sarcasm) I do proff read things, but I still dont catch hardly any mistakes. I also tend to think a whole lot faster than I can write or type and I rember what I have written down subconsiously (which is partly why proofreding doesnt help me as much as it should) often times my brain will procces.... well heres an example First the correct way "The example is super neat" If I dont think very hard on the subject as I am writing it comes out "Th example i super neat" or The ample is uper neat" Once Ive writen it down its nearly impossible for me to catch the error. Then when I do slow down enough to think then write/type a 12 page essay becomes a paragraph long, becuase I natualy summerise things/ engineer things to be simple. BAck in school my teachers would tell me that my rough drafs were GREAT wi the exception of all the errors and ask me why I cut everything out of the fianl version. I do it automaticly. It got better when I got a computer as spell chech cathes a lot of things.

At this point I am stopping to proof read this draft, I will attempt to only edit spelling

I cuaght two errors One was a typo (I tend to catch those okay) It was the word spelling and I had it as spellign. the other was summerise which I had as suumerise , which is an example of me knowing subconsiouly that there is a doulbed letter in there but picking the wrong one subconsioulsy.

Just so you know I and others do in fact try, its the ones that dont even try that eritate me like "Gun for sale" as "gat 4 sale!!!!!!!!"
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat