mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:00 AM   #31 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Quote:
implementation of Sterling engines on cars as secondary power sources to drive accessories such as A/C
Will never work in a million years. Simply put, not enough heat, no would the engine hold up if enough heat was reached.
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:34 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rap4paintball View Post
Its a great idea, very smart. But it will never take off, maybe here and there in the UK, but the oil companies wouldnt stand for it in the U.S. There will be a big patriotic backlash, "Look at all the jobs it will take away from Americans." I would love to get a hold of a couple of them, they would make a pretty cool motorcycle.

EDIT: Look what I dug up:

http://www.engineair.com.au/index.htm

Its his website, animations and diagrams. I'm going to email them about getting some plans. And it only runs off of 1 PSI (well, starts on 1 psi)!

I doubt there would be a patriotic backlash, but the large companies would definatley try to kill it. Remember, most Americans are unhappy with the current oil situation, and our auto industry is already in ruins, so the average joe would probably embrace it. Go with the stereotype that has us hating on the Middle East instead of the one where we are against change in the auto industry, then you can't lose with a plan like this.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:26 AM   #33 (permalink)
World's Okayist Machinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
The reason you see cost of diesel engines as being as high as they are.... well it's an alternative and not a standard so they are going to hit the consumer for it. If demand is greater and they can seller greater quantities I can pretty much guarantee that the price would go down per vehicle.
The Cummins Diesel is the popular Consumer level Diesel in Light trucks - in some areas, it's installed up to half of all fullsize Dodge pickups sold. It accounts for almost 20 percent of all fullsize Dodge pickups nationwide.

It still costs $5 grand as an option.

It boils down to this: In order for the new diesels to reach emissions standards, they have to have some fairly exotic technology, like Catalytic converters(something brand new), IDI, aftercoolers, variable turbochargers, etc. This means it's never going to drop below a certain point, which unfortunately, is high enough to discourage buyers of small cars, which tend to be at the low end of the price spectrum. Also, like alot of people here seem to believe(falsely), that there's "magic tech" being suppressed by "big oil" so they can get rich(ever see a P/E ratio for them? Many here will be surprised), so they're enamored by things like Hybrids, which are by their nature, expensive to keep up - the batteries alone cost anywhere from $1-3K and have to be replaced near the 5 year mark. God forbid you suggest something as "primative" as a diesel.
HTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:29 AM   #34 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ray View Post
Will never work in a million years. Simply put, not enough heat, no would the engine hold up if enough heat was reached.
Not enough heat? Ever measure exhaust temperatures? The hot end of the Sterling would be in the exhaust path of the gas engine and the cold end would have outside air ducted to it. The Sterling wouldn't have to be terribly efficient since it would be running off of waste heat anyway. As for not holding up, why not? A sterling engine has less stress on it than an internal combustion engine does, and they seem to hold up fine.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:53 AM   #35 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Not enough heat? Ever measure exhaust temperatures? The hot end of the Sterling would be in the exhaust path of the gas engine and the cold end would have outside air ducted to it. The Sterling wouldn't have to be terribly efficient since it would be running off of waste heat anyway. As for not holding up, why not? A sterling engine has less stress on it than an internal combustion engine does, and they seem to hold up fine.

I think it could replace the alternator, and you could run your water pump, oil pump, and everything else electricly, and all the horses would be directed to the wheels. You could even run a vaccum pump from it, to run the power brakes. You'd essentialy be doing what drag racers do by mremoveing all of the stuff like water pumps, and power brakes and alternators etc. that rob horsepower.

The only problem I might see is you'd have to make certain you were using total waste heat, and not robbing any of the power, which may not be too hard given that so much is bled off as waste. Run it on a diesel, and use an electric supercharger rather than a turbo, and you'd not watse hardly any power from the engine. You may even be able to with the proper heating/cooling design be able to elliminate the whole radiator setup we have in an engine.

The really cool thing would be that the colder it got outside, the better the Sterling would work. Not sure how well it would work on a hot summer day.

I've been wanting to pout a sterling engine on my outside wood boiler for when the power goes out, it would run the pump, and the solenoid valves for my radiant heat. In the winter, the hot and cold would be pretty far apart in tepurature, so it would probably work really well, just mount the "hot" side in the chimney, and the "cold" side exposed to the outside air, I think I could generate the small bit of electriciy my pump and valves would need, no?

I wish there were more people making small sterlings out there for stuff like this.
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #36 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I'm trying to dig up a link but my google-fu is failing me. Either BMW or mercedez-benz is working on a diesel/sterling hybrid. The sterling replaces the alternator and provides all the juice the car needs to run the electronics and the AC.

Running out the door right now but I'll keep looking later.

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #37 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

Christian, thats pretty much exactly what I was thinking. We built small Sterling engines from scratch in one of my engineering classes a few years ago and it got me to thinking of all the applications out there for them. Basically anything that gives off waste heat could run a Sterling engine to recover some of the lost energy.

Darkstar, I'd love to see the hybrid that you are talking about. Thats awesome if a large company like BMW or Daimler Benz are developing the concept.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:35 PM   #38 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Ok here's something from BMW: http://www.gizmag.com/go/4936/ That's all I can find. I know I've read about it more recently than a year ago though (date of that article), and I'm almost positive Mercedez has a concept car based on a similar concept, but I've wasted enough time on this for now

-MR

edit: Ugg, it looks like this is 10 years out from production

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat