mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jack Wagon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaan View Post
Take a tire, throw it on the camera, and set it on fire thereby destroying the film. That's what other victimized citizens are doing in the U.K. ...

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm
lol crazy brits. i bet the same thing would happen here though if they started doing that. but i bet we'd do a better job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be4life182 View Post
ill gats pwn nubs n give mE pwners?
d4rksabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
World's Okayist Machinist

Yeah, crazy is right - I'd be willing to bet that there's no film or digital storage at all - just a data line, so attacking the camera after the fact is too late.

My brother once did a contract installing a coupla them here in NY, they cost over a hundred grand EACH, including installation.

It takes less than a month for them to pay for themselves, and they actually INCREASE accidents, because most Cities shorten the yellow(which is illegal, BTW) in order to enhance revenue.

My advice? If you're gonna fight it, go and film a coupla light cycles - the yellow is supposed to be 1 second for every 10mph of the speed limit. If it isn't and you paniced stopped, you can possibly beat it.

And yeah, I hate the goddamn things, they're not for safety, they're just another way to get money out of you.

HTRN
HTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cupofnoodles

so if the speed limit was 35, the yellow light should of been at least 3.5 sec?

-v
cupofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

Yup, just another revenue source for cities. I'm glad we don't have them up here yet. If we do get them, I don't see them lasting very long, people will probably either shoot them or burn them like the Brits do.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to cupofnoodles

i kidda wish i can argue this in court, make for a nice exsperience if i can win.
cupofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #16 (permalink)
Working on it!!!

I lived in LA for sometime and have only got a ticket from a Camera 1 time. I have had the same experience that you did and never received a ticket. I believe that cannot write you a ticket unless you actually run the light. And the picture did show my vehicle in the middle of the intersection when i was issued a ticket. It's highly unlikely that they got your license plate, and even if they did, it's a still picture so they won't have any idea how fast you were going. Hope this helps. Oh, one more thing, my ticket took ~90 days to arrive at my house and cost me $375. Probably didn't want to hear that, but that's good old California. Later.

Noxx
noxx55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
World's Okayist Machinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofnoodles View Post
so if the speed limit was 35, the yellow light should of been at least 3.5 sec?

-v
Yup. But that's federal regulations, better check the state statutes to see if they exempt themselves from those regulations.

And this only works if you blow through a changing light - you blow through a standing red signal, and it isn't going to work.

HTRN
HTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Shiny. Let's be bad guys

Send a message via AIM to Kindred Send a message via MSN to Kindred

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
You're probably fine.
Most jurisdictions are using these nausiating, appauling, vile devices (oops, might have slipped some editorializing between the lines) out of a blatently lazy form of fund raising.

They probably wont bother unless you're WELL within the intersection, they can't be bothered actually having to ARGUE for their $100 from drivers who were merely cutting it close and may be inclined to appeal. So much easier to grab the easy $$ from the drivers who were way over the line.

Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rksabre View Post
lol crazy brits. i bet the same thing would happen here though if they started doing that. but i bet we'd do a better job
Haha, you're from the Buffalo area as well, and I was just thinking the same thing.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Haha, you're from the Buffalo area as well, and I was just thinking the same thing.
I beg to differ. If it happened to Buffalo, we'd just roll over. Like we've been rolling over for years. Ever since the Bills lost their last Super Bowl.
BlindeSeher is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat