mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-17-2006, 06:18 PM   #31 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

Most Wolf ammo has nearly no brass or copper in it though. Its steel cased and the bullet is steel jacketed and "copper washed" so that it has a very thin coating of copper. The price increase is due to high demand and little supply, I've heard a dozen different theories as to why the supply is so low ranging from the war in Iraq, to Russian mafia longshoremen delaying shipments, to crazy conspiracy theories.

For those of you who reload, what kind of press do you use/recommend? My dad has an old press from when he reloaded back in the 80's but now that he's retired I was thinking of setting him up with something more modern like one of the Dillon presses.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:01 AM   #32 (permalink)
Shiny. Let's be bad guys

Send a message via AIM to Kindred Send a message via MSN to Kindred

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I never did much pistol reloading, oney-wise I found that I had to do a LOT more shooting for the cost/effort ratio to work out.

However, I did do a lot of 30-06 reloading when I was shooting on the state team. Mostly for consistency's sake though. Most of us found that we only hit the break-even point after about a season-and-a-half. The payoff in more consistent rounds was pretty immediate though.

Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #33 (permalink)

I use a RCBS Rockchucker which is adequate for my needs. Everyone has a preference but I haven't heard many bad things about RCBS Presses.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:32 AM   #34 (permalink)
Gun Hoarder

Send a message via AIM to pwpaintball

I use a Dillon 650. Dillon is like Tippmann with there warranty 2nd to nun and there staff are very helpful. I didnít have the ďfriendĒ to help me when I started loading (Iím NOT an expert at it, Iím still new to it). The people at Dillon were helpful with set up and some neat tricks I didnít know about.
The thing I like about a Dillon and others that have multiple stations, is every time you pull the lever you get a completed round. And it is nice that you can stop at any time with out having to finish the batch that you started. You only have 5 rounds that need to be finished.
I reload mostly 9mm, 40sw, and 45acp. I know you can get really cheap 9mm but with the Dillon it is fun to load, it has some savings, my press came with the dies, and I found a load that works for me. I just find I have more time to load ammo then I do to shoot it. But when I do go shooting I donít have to worry about stopping and getting ammo.
My Sale

My Feedback
pwpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:29 AM   #35 (permalink)
MCB Member

I've got a Dillon Square Deal B and love it. Paul is correct that Dillon has amazing customer service. I bought my whole setup used, and have called several times with questions and even a few order requests. Each time I ended up with the answer or the part I needed free of charge and within a few days. Great people there, and no issue at all that it was used goods. Be sure if you decide to reload that you also budget for all the other stuff besides the press and dies you need like a brass tumbler, powder scale, caliper, case gauge, etc.

SSniper13
SSniper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:40 AM   #36 (permalink)
World's Okayist Machinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Lesson?

Shoot a 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
no Azzy.. the lesson is to shoot large bore airguns

E
No, the "lesson" is to shoot cast lead, which approachs "free" in terms of cost of materials.

And Schmitti, I've been toying with the idea of a really, really large bore airgun.. Using an ER Shaw rifled 12 gauge barrel, and a lyman slug mold(which really looks like a giant pellet. Basically, the idea is to use a scaled up Sheridan style valve system, and have the top tube have a bolt action arrangement with a feed port.

And man, will it eat C02.

HTRN
HTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:48 AM   #37 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTRN View Post
And Schmitti, I've been toying with the idea of a really, really large bore airgun.. Using an ER Shaw rifled 12 gauge barrel, and a lyman slug mold(which really looks like a giant pellet. Basically, the idea is to use a scaled up Sheridan style valve system, and have the top tube have a bolt action arrangement with a feed port.

And man, will it eat C02.

HTRN
Yes! If you do this please post pics for us to drool over. I was just reading about Lewis & Clark's large bore air gun that they had on their expedition in National Rifleman, very interesting.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:46 AM   #38 (permalink)
Sh*t, I'm a mod?

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
this one?
http://www.beemans.net/Lewis%20&%20Clark%20Airgun.htm

There are some 40 or 50 cal airguns to be had form china and africa, as well as at least one shotgun in a caliber iirc was .410
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
TeamADW.com - Maker of Jeep ThingsOld Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:24 PM   #39 (permalink)
World's Okayist Machinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarMonkey View Post
Yes! If you do this please post pics for us to drool over..
If it works right, I plan to sell them - "Airtillery.com".

HTRN
HTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #40 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
this one?
http://www.beemans.net/Lewis%20&%20Clark%20Airgun.htm

There are some 40 or 50 cal airguns to be had form china and africa, as well as at least one shotgun in a caliber iirc was .410
Same site, but this is the one National Rifleman had the writeup on:
http://www.beemans.net/lewis%20assault%20rifle.htm

It's got a 22 ball side feed on it and runs off of an air reservoir that serves as a buttstock, sounds almost like a modern Palmer's paintball gun.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat