mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Advice for an 18 year old about military service

My son, Joe, is tthinking about joining up. He is looking mostly at Navy and CG, and since I wasn't in the service I can't really advise him.

What do you guys think about those two branches, pro and con?

How many years does he have to sign up for on a first enlistment?

Is the mechanical tech job aboard ship decent training for civilian work?

What other jobs are good training for a trade/career?

He is an average student, handy with mechanics and in decent shape physically.

Both Jan and I are fine with him joining up, I'd just like to get him as much good information as possible while he thinks it over.

thanks in advance
Peter
Old 10-20-2006, 01:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
I'm on a boat!

Send a message via AIM to Greywolf Send a message via Yahoo to Greywolf

Tell him to look into the Merchant Marine as well...good opportunities there. If he's into ships, it can be excellent. Look at Maine and Mass Maritime, SUNY Maritime, Texas A&M, and Cal Maritime.

I'd be happy to answer questions about it, and I'm sure Tugboater would, too.

The Navy and CG will be happy to take him from one of the maritime schools if he was still interested--and help pay for them--and he'd be getting in as an officer, too.

Ben
Old 10-20-2006, 02:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Loin Falcon Palin

Send a message via AIM to paintjunque

Peter, I'm a nuke electrician. Been doing it for over 18yrs in the submarine force. Very technical training taking over 2 yrs before you actually go to sea. Because of the time involved a commitment of 6 years is required in the nuclear field. Nukes are in high demand in the work force and not only in nuclear fields but alot of other technical fields. I have friends getting snatched up left and right as soon as they leave the service. I even was offered a job supervising 5 maintenence teams in the Sacramento area earlier this year.

I may be biased since I love my job so much but the Navy Nuclear Field is an attractive option. There is a need and the Navy is throwing out lots of bonus money to get people in that field and keep them there. Reenlistment bonuses anywhere for 45-60K, its crazy, even better if you reenlist in a war zone since its tax free.

Its not easy, lots of studying, exams and qualifying but its all worth it in the end IMHO. If Joe has any questions feel free to ask me, call me whatever.

My Junq Sale
paintjunque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

My best friend (Landon) is in the Navy, so while I can't provide any firsthand experience, I can definitly tell you a lot.

He's in the first responder firefireghter area, meaning if anything goes wrong, he's the first there to stop the problem (not so much medical stuff). When something isn't going wrong, he's constantly maintaining the ship's 4 diesel engines, each the size of a schoolbus, with cylinders the size of garden trash cans. He also works in the machine shop, getting first hand training on making/engineering replacement parts and tools that work.

The navy paid him to get firefighter training better than the training he would get if he paid a school. While he gets less theory and textbook training in the machine shop, the real world training he gets will be invaluable, he can't tell you the tensile strength of chromoly, but he make something happen.

My friend was in average shape before he left. Tiny little belly. He is now very... cut. Not bulky muscular, when he's wearing a shirt he just looks fit, but when he takes it off, it's like hes mainly just muscle without the bodybuilder look. So what I am saying is you don't need to be in shape, thats what the 6 weeks of basic is for.

I think Lando signed up for 4 or 5 years... we graduted in 04, and I think he had 2 years left as of june or july. He left for basic in I think august 04, perhaps a month off. Last month was the first time he really left on a major trip. It's an estimated 6-8 months before he gets back, and when he does get back, he only gets 6-8 days to visit us. Lucky for us, he lives close enough where he can swing by on a few of the weekends he gets off, but for the most part, it's 1 visit day for every month he is out to sea.

He got lucky, and is stationed in Santa Barbara, CA (one of the most beautiful Southern California beach towns). They went on basic "test runs" to canada and hawaii, but he didn't actually start a tour until a few months ago. Pay is decent, it's a salary, they pay your housing and food on top of it, and when you're out to sea, you get extra money, as well as the bonus of not being able to spend it, which will help your son save for the future.

Also, if your son gets married, he gets even more bonus pay when he's away from his family.

The navy and coast guard are great options. Your son will get to see many areas of the world that most people dream of, and on the government's tab. he will learn basic things like prioritizing work, getting jobs done properly, self-pride in his work, as well as career specific knowledge. Your son will also have a great bonus on his resumé, servicemen are known to be respectful, obedient, and responsible people.

Note, with any branch, there will be some mild hazing. Warn your son, it's just part of the acceptance. My other friend is in the air force academy, Lando won't mention what they did to him "it's kinda secret, like, you have to be part of it to discuss it", so some airforce stories are having to stand at attention all night in their boxers, in the hallway, while higher up students watch them. If anyone falters, a few light punches to the gut (no facial bruises=no evidence). Or having to take the blame for higher up student's mistakes. The latter is well known about by teachers and stuff, but it teaches recruits to not argue with superiors, regardless of the situation. Take the criticism, accept it, and even though it's not your mistake, learn from what your elder teach you about it.

Safetywise, there isn't much better than the navy or the airforce. I do worry more about Lando though, because he is in the firefighting and stuff

Theres a lot more, but I am tired and have an essay to write

aqua_scummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
My son, Joe, is tthinking about joining up. He is looking mostly at Navy and CG, and since I wasn't in the service I can't really advise him.

What do you guys think about those two branches, pro and con?

How many years does he have to sign up for on a first enlistment?

Is the mechanical tech job aboard ship decent training for civilian work?

What other jobs are good training for a trade/career?

He is an average student, handy with mechanics and in decent shape physically.

Both Jan and I are fine with him joining up, I'd just like to get him as much good information as possible while he thinks it over.

thanks in advance
Peter
I can only give advise on the AF but most will apply to all branches. I am currently active duty in the AF...

I had a friend in basic whose brother was in the CG and said his bro was able to make rank VERY fast. He had been in for 6 years and was an E-6!

The Air Force these days will deploy every 15 months for 6 months. For the AF this means going over to "the sand box" where we are currently being attacked or are curently attacking. The CG usually doesnt go very far from the U.S. and will either patrol US waters or those nearby. My brother is in the Army and was fresh out of Basic/tech school and is now serving a 18 month deployment in Iraq.

Tracy would be able to tell you a great deal about the Navy as he is currently serving on a fast attack sub.

As far as enlistments go he will be offered a deal...sign for 6 years and come out of tech school as an E-3(normally starting as an E-1) normal enlistments are 4 years. Make sure he signs up for the GI bill even if he does'nt plan to use it...he may down the road. He'll be able to use it up to 10 years after he gets out. Most maintanence jobs are going to be worthless on the outside...as my father is realizing as a 23 year jet engine mechanic in the AF. I do Gov level contracing in the AF which will fetch a decent amount on the outside...so needless to say some jobs are lucritive on the outside.

My one and only word of advise would be DO NOT join the service for education, money or just something to do... because reality will set once he realizes that he has signed his LIFE away to defend his country. He must be willing to make the "ultimate sacrifice" no matter what!

I hope all this jibberish helps...

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

I should note, my friend Landon doesn't really like it, but sees it like college, an oppurtunity to learn, grow, get some money, and put in his time before he is set to start a career.

aqua_scummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

What are his intentions? Is it just for the chance to serve his country, gains $ for college, does he wants to be a lifer?

I'd make the suggestion of looking into Naval ROTC as an option. Just be prepared for an engineering major.
Shiba-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
I've porked many

I'm a former Navy Gunner's mate, and the electronics, hydraulics and pneumatics schools I had did equate to me finding a job afterwords. The term you will have to get used to in the Navy is haze grey and under way.
The Coast Guard generally makes rank faster depending on what rate you choose but sometimes will not guarranty a school prior to enlistment.. The Merchant Marine is an excellent suggestion as well. As far as what rate to choose when going to meps and speaking to your recruiter, don't allow them to talk you into something that you have no interest in. Stay away from the apprenticeship programs. They will equal much painting, chipping and crap work. As an e-1 you get to do that anyway, but get a guarranteed school to cut down on that . Some of the schools translate better to employment after the military than others. If I had to go in again and start over I would personally look into going to airtraffic controller school. The FAA is always hiring and it pays well if you can deal with the stress. If your son takes a technical rating, make sure he asks about the advancement opportunites in that field. Some rates advance quickly for indemand jobs, while some like corpman, used to not advance. Speak to the recruiters in the other branches as well, it can't hurt. My recruiter did not try to snow me or give me some B.S., and I enjoyed myself for the most part while I was in. I even got to live on a tropical Island (Guam) for three years and they have paintball there as well.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

humm....keep it coming guys (im 17 and will be going into the army) so im enjoying hearing about this! because it's food for tought.

JT
CrazyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

I joined the Army National Guard after my first year of college. It's a harsh reality knowing that you'll never graduate from college if you have to pay for it yourself unless you find an opportunity like that.

I went into a light infantry unit and loved it. Actually, I spent the majority of my time in the guard shooting on my state rifle team and teaching marksmanship skills. The extra pay, bonus, and GI Bill is what got me through and graduated without owing anyone a penny!

Since I was in college, I joined with rank and was able to advance rapidly. Provided you are willing to go to the appropriate leadership schools as the time comes and your unit has slots available, you can advance almost a rank a year up until an E-6 ranking. I actually miss being in, but in today's world of "too much cat poo in the sandbox" and "so-and-so's firecrackers are too big" makes it a risky business for a husband and soon to be father with a stable career. But, given the chance to do it over again, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

I know Active Duty isn't the same as NG or Reserves, but that might be another option for him to have something to fall back on if being a "lifer" doesn't pan out.

Anonym

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat