mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:34 AM   #21 (permalink)
MCB Member

I got a ticket two days ago for parking on the side walk. My wheels were about 2 inches over the crack, on a road that is really narrow. I was trying to be safe and I'll pay $35 for the pleasure.

Tickets like mine and yours are not the logical result of a just system, they are the thoughtless victimization of people by the system's representatives. Fight the hell out of it.

I am

The idea that I should just pay it and shut up is bogus.

The only incentive we can provide for the unfair system to change is to speak up. At least that way it costs them more to make me pay than they get from me.

No Baaaaa -
P
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

....... further notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking_Target
while i agree with shartley to a point, i don't think that blindly paying a fine that you may not have deserved is a good thing. I would go back to that park today (preferably with a camera) and take pictures, and look for any notices around main entrances about it being closed after a certain point.
I had to bring focus to this because it looks as if you disagree with me, or that I said something I didn’t say. I never said to blindly pay a ticket you may not deserve. Heck, I didn’t even come close to saying that. This is what I said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shartley
As for always fighting tickets…. If the ticket is valid, PAY IT. If the ticket is not, FIGHT IT. Seems pretty simple to me. When you fight a ticket that you deserved (or was legal) you are only wasting more taxpayer’s money. And yes, I have fought a ticket before.
This is not contrary to what you are now saying. In fact, unless you disagree with something other than what you just posted, we AGREE… not to a point, but simply agree.

I was commenting on the fact that it was being advised to always fight a ticket. And why? Because if you do and the officer is not there you may very well get away with whatever you did. That in my opinion is just wrong, and again, a misuse of resources and the system. But if you think, or KNOW the ticket is not valid (either by law or by the spirit of the law) by all means fight it. Do your research, take your pictures, make your case. But that was not what was being advocated. What was being advocated ( and is done time and time again ) is to try to squeak through a loop hole in the law to get away with doing whatever you did.
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:38 AM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat
I got a ticket two days ago for parking on the side walk. My wheels were about 2 inches over the crack, on a road that is really narrow. I was trying to be safe and I'll pay $35 for the pleasure.

Tickets like mine and yours are not the logical result of a just system, they are the thoughtless victimization of people by the system's representatives. Fight the hell out of it.

I am

The idea that I should just pay it and shut up is bogus.

The only incentive we can provide for the unfair system to change is to speak up. At least that way it costs them more to make me pay than they get from me.

No Baaaaa -
P
Please read my comments above.

You are showing extremes. And like it or not, you nor I, know if the ticket in THIS thread is such an extreme. I know you WANT to think it is, and that is fine. But it does not make it so.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rec Poster

Location: Ewing NJ (find Trenton, then run North as fast as you can)

Admittedly this may be naive, but the way I look at it is that it evens out over time. I've had incidents where a cop was just being an arse plain and simple, but then again I've also had situations where I was CLEARLY in the wrong and they were cool about it and let me go.

Knowing a few cops I can say one thing - they DONT always know your intentions in any given situation. If they feel threatened or unsure, the hard-*** side may kick in. It's not meant to degrade you, it just a sort of defense mechanism I guess you can say. You would not believe the "people" that cops have to deal with on a daily basis and of course they all are ALWAYS "doing nothing wrong" etc etc.
Dont sweat it. The way he acted was immaterial, you just have to determine whether the ticket was warranted or not and fight it if you feel that it was.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

I just cant believe the price!!!! Sure we were trespassing ok, I personally Im not from that area my town is sort of connected to southbury (middlebury) they arent big towns. I play tennis at the park all the time, so we had just finished eating chinese food, and my buddy says want to go to community and play some freesbi? I called my mom and told her I was going to community, we go there one lights on. Everyone can see us playing freesbi, I didnt think anything of it. My friends big assumtion is that because we are from middlebury that thats why we werent given a warning.

Im not against the law, Im against the price of the ticket, and why we werent given a warning? I didnt do anything wrong it was pitch black how could we see the signs? I could see if we blatently flipped the cops off and trashed his cruiser but I mean he scared us half to death and he was doing it on purpose. I mean the worst thing any of us in the group did was DJ had a speeding ticket. I mean it was a park, at 10:00 pm. He was a local cop, I think they dont get the double homocides here so they get bored and pass out tickets left and right.

My parents dont want me going to court, lets let that $92 dollars just fly out of my wallet.....
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

I fully understand. Like I said though, many times you will not have to pay the cost of the ticket if you are a juvenile or of limited income. Community service works wonders. Have you tried to contact the court about this and see if you can work something out without even going to court? Many times that is an option as well. It would certainly be worth a try….
Old 04-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #27 (permalink)

Well I think that I shouldnt do anything, it wasnt a dangerous crime. It was just a game of freesbi, I could see if we were having an illegal something but I mean we were just in the park playing freesbi.... A warning should have been sufficeint....
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Doesn't matter at this point what you think unless you can form it into a coherrent well spoken thought and present it to your local law enforcement or judge.

If you don't want to pay the fine then go to court or contact the court and in as nice a way possible let them know that you feel the fine was excessive and is there another option for you.

Also if you spell FRISBEE incorrectly one more time, I'm going to make you write it on the board 1000 times until you get it correct.

Spelling it FREESBI sounds like you may deserve that $92 fine.

E

PS - if you can not see the inherrent sarcasm in that...well then I'm sorry...sort of.
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer
Well I think that I shouldnt do anything, it wasnt a dangerous crime. It was just a game of freesbi, I could see if we were having an illegal something but I mean we were just in the park playing freesbi.... A warning should have been sufficeint....
And you know what? If you contact the court and talk to them they may just drop it. It all depends on how you approach it. Like I said, calling and discussing it with them costs you nothing but could save you much…. Both in time and money.

I fully understand that you don’t think you should have been given anything more than a warning, but the fact is that you did get more. Now you can either complain about it, or try to do something about it. I am not saying this to be rude, but to hopefully help you get what you want given the situation as it stands now. You can’t go back and do it again. And the officer has already written the ticket. You can only go forward now. The ball is in your court.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Sam, the ticket was extreme. Three unarmed teenagers, no drugs, no alcohol, no stolen property, are found in a public place at night. They offer no resistance, don't insult the officer and are going to be fined almost $100 apiece for a minor infraction of a curfew law.

That's an extreme overreaction, ask anybody.

If a police officer can't interview teenagers without being scared by them, loosing his temper at them, yelling at them (and not making sense) and generally showing them that cops are jerks, he is an incompetent fool.

I pity his family if he comes on a real bad guy in a situation like this, because he was clearly not in control of himself or the others present.

I taught all my kids that the cops and firemen are your friends, and that you can ask them for help when you are in trouble. Lots of people do, and this guy and others like him work to undo that when they grow older.

There are good and bad cops, judges, etc. It only takes one bad one to undo the trust built by many others. The idea that we should blindly accept our punishments doesn't go with me. When I am treated unfairly I speak up.

Peter
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat