mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Reminder...gun safety

Mass. boy dies after accidentally shooting himself

2 hrs 30 mins agoWESTFIELD, Mass. An 8-year-old boy has died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision in western Massachusetts.

Police Lt. Lawrence Valliere says the boy lost control of the weapon while firing it Sunday at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club. Police say the force of the weapon made it "travel up and back" to the boy's head.

The victim was taken to Baystate Medical Center where he died.

His name was not immediately released.

Law enforcement officials say although the incident appears to be an accident, police and the Hampden District Attorney's office are investigating.

Efforts to reach officials with the private club were not immediately successful.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Uh... who thelets an 8 year old kid fire a full auto weapon? The owners of the gun and the club should be brought up on man slaughter charges...
Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
What a stupid move.

My heart goes out to the boys parents, what a horrible loss.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Old 10-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Good God, that's terrible. I can't begin to imagine the pain inflicted on the family.

Incidents like this are why people are afraid of guns, ignoring the fact that some moron made the decision to hand it to an 8-year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Actually, incidents like this are what makes me afraid to have children in the first place.

Damn things are fragile as hell, clumsy and hella prone to such tragedy.

Recently, a mother of a toddler in our area noticed a yard sale and pulled over to investigate a baby seat that was for sale. After deciding that the $40 price was too high, she returned to her car and, as she was backing out of her parking space, her toddler fell out of the car and the car rolled over his/her head causing immediate death.

How would you like to live the rest of your life with the guilt of having handed this kid an Uzi or skimped on a $40 car seat?

Better not to risk it at all and just stay childless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I still don't get that.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs View Post
Uh... who thelets an 8 year old kid fire a full auto weapon? The owners of the gun and the club should be brought up on man slaughter charges...
While I agree that an adult made a very poor decision in this case, it is a tragic accident. I fail to see how throwing additional retribution and damnation around is going to make anything better for anyone.

I'm quite certain anyone involved with the incident is already suffering far worse punishment than some crusading ******* will accomplish by leveling charges over the incident. Just imagining the horror and anguish at the gruesome scene makes me sick, and my heart goes out to anyone there and especially to that boy and his family.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Locally, we have a place where you can rent guns and then shoot them at the range. It is a favorite stop of drunken college kids...

The range part was a dimly lit room that had more lighting in the target well and not so much where the shooters stood.

The second time I was there, the manager came into the shooting range and flipped on a set of overhead lights that revealed the whole room. I was so shocked by all the bullet holes in the ceiling and walls that I never went back.

Apparently, they rented SMGs as well. All you needed was a driver's license and a fistful of cash (two things that almost all drunken college students seem to have.)

I am surprised they don't have a demolition derby place where you could rent a junker and then crash into your frat buddies until the wheels fall off.

Those guys would love it.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
I still don't get that.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
I am surprised they don't have a demolition derby place where you could rent a junker and then crash into your frat buddies until the wheels fall off.

Those guys would love it.

D

What's the problem? We're badly in need of ways for stupid people to removed themselves from the gene pool without harming innocent bystanders.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilD View Post
While I agree that an adult made a very poor decision in this case, it is a tragic accident. I fail to see how throwing additional retribution and damnation around is going to make anything better for anyone.

I'm quite certain anyone involved with the incident is already suffering far worse punishment than some crusading ******* will accomplish by leveling charges over the incident. Just imagining the horror and anguish at the gruesome scene makes me sick, and my heart goes out to anyone there and especially to that boy and his family.
i agree. no point in bringing up charges. they have been punished enough. my heart goes out to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA View Post
Ok choochie, the duck is not troubled, it's dated. The technology is old, it's like 8mm stop motion film reels, nothing will ever replace them, they are nostalgic one of a kind but for today's youth the expectations are CGI.
my feedback
Old 10-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
2 Infinity and Beyond!

How sad. I have a two year old and I think he should learn to shoot someday. I would never imagine giving him anything other than a heavy semi resting on sandbags, until I felt comfortable with anything else.

Unfortunately things like this do happen and they often overshadow the lives that are saved by a private citizen defending themselves or others.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat