mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

prosthetics school

Im a senior this year in high school, I am a average student.
Im looking into going into a field making prosthetics for people.

I love helping people, and im a good people person, plus building things is cool :]

Is anyone in this field, that could help me with some info on it? I cant really even find very many school in florida that offer info on it...
Old 10-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Bio Medical engineering. Seriously. Follow up on it.

As to average student. Go to a community college where you can concetrate on school for two years and get all of the general crap out of the way (the general crap is usually the weedout course work at bigger schools) Build up a good GPA and show that you can handle college... then apply to a 4 year college. You may need to pick up a few extra classes for stuff that won't transfer over, but you will go in with a good attitude (you know how to be a student and not just an idiot set free on campus) and a good GPA.

Not saying you shouldn't have fun, but this gives you a good alternative to get into something that you may not have the grades to get into right off the bat.

Good luck to you!

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I have a couple of contacts who helped me in Guatemala. They live in Washington state. LMK if you want their info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
Because, ya know, health care reform is what Hitler and the Nazi's were known for.
Here is my feedback thread:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sugar Loaded Candy Cane!

Send a message via AIM to Mstrtal Send a message via Yahoo to Mstrtal

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post

As to average student. Go to a community college where you can concetrate on school for two years and get all of the general crap out of the way (the general crap is usually the weedout course work at bigger schools) Build up a good GPA and show that you can handle college... then apply to a 4 year college. You may need to pick up a few extra classes for stuff that won't transfer over, but you will go in with a good attitude (you know how to be a student and not just an idiot set free on campus) and a good GPA.

Not saying you shouldn't have fun, but this gives you a good alternative to get into something that you may not have the grades to get into right off the bat.

Good luck to you!

E
Not to mention this route generally cuts a fair amount off your student loan bill in the long run. Also check with your Community Colleges to see if they have an AA Transfer Program with local 4 year colleges. This way you can not only get your Gen Eds out of the way but you can focus on getting your GPA up while taking only those Gen Ed courses you need that Will transfer over to the 4 year University of your choice. A 4 year (or more) University that will allow you to Major in the field you desire.

Bedknobs and Boomsticks!

Originally Posted by commandoman
Kick back and enjoy the atmosphere, sexy girls at my school keep me sane through the worst lectures by the worst professors

Mstrtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Every Dog has its Day

Send a message via AIM to netsurferdude2 Send a message via Skype™ to netsurferdude2

If you like math go for it.
When I worked in the county prison, all my pals among the correctional officer staff were always talking about how they needed a large(r) caliber handgun in case they were confronted by someone on "PCP" or "Angel dust".

Now... all they talk about is zombies.
netsurferdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Shop Smart,Shop S-Mart

I understand there is a decided lack of skilled people just to fit prosthetics

One might find employ as a laborer in this field while working on a degree
doc Zox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post

Good luck to you!

E

I was tempted to go bio medical engineering route.... Unfortunately Bio medical is a masters degree at my university up here. So I am just a plain old BScME.

Good luck with whatever route you decide to go!
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Biomedical is one area that I'm looking at going into, just got into my engineering school too where its an undergrad degree
Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Blake, a girl I know is currently at PJC, and transferring down to some school in St. Petersburg next year to do a prosthetics program. I'm not sure which school it is, but she might have some insight for you.
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Corp Por, Kal Vas Flam

dukie hit the nail...

get a ME degree and then do your prostetic work in grad school
souz4402 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat