mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

I need a new car, Jeep advice

I have a 97 saturn that is on it's last leg. So far the only car my wife and I agree on is a Wrangler. I'm looking for one anywhere from 90 and up, O and cheep, very cheap I have never owned a jeep and don't know much about them. It won't be an off road vehicle, at least not at first. What should I look for, or beware of?

Thanks,

Chris
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

I highly recommend taking a look at this site Jeep Forum - Jeep Enthusiast Network

I hope gas milage isnt a concern

The "YJ" was produced up to 95 has a leafspring suspension giving it a rougher ride.
The "TJ" was produced from 97 to 06 and has a coilspring suspension = smoother ride.

Quote:
I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryantuomi View Post
I always close both my eyes and use the force.
Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by 1996XJ; 11-12-2008 at 12:02 AM.
1996XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

ihave a freind that has a 00 TJ and has had nothing but problems like the saying it especially pertains to him

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
MTPyro07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Bitter Young Man

Acceleration is pretty bad on a Jeep Wrangler, gas milage is horrible, Noisy/rough ride, top speed is somewhere around 70 MPH, and everything is an option, even cassette players. The engine is a straight six and has lots of problems.
HyePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

The mileage sucks, the ride is terrible, the handling and acceleration are nothing to brag about, they can't carry or tow very much and whoever rides in the back is going to get cramps.

That said, the only thing I'd trade my 2K Wrangler for is a newer one. I love my Jeep to death. It's a blast to drive if you like the feel of one, it looks great, and, for a Chrysler, they're actually, for the most part, very reliable. Granted, that's mainly because Wranglers don't come with most of the things your average car does (They're basically a frame with some seats and a roll cage), and what it does have is reinforced to hell to handle driving off-road.

Top speed is well above 70 MPH, though, I've had mine up to 90+ with no problems and still had throttle left.

If you're looking for a family one, go for a TJ. There TJ (1997-2006) was a huge jump from the YJ (1987-1995/6) in terms of road manners. They're also the easiest to maintain, from a combination of availability of parts to simplicity of design (Anybody with opposable thumbs and a Haynes manual can fix pretty much anything on a Wrangler).

Also, define 'cheap'. Wranglers are the best domestic SUV in terms of holding their resale value (The only other SUV that holds value as well is the CR-V), but you can still pick up '97-ish TJs for a few thousand.

When looking for one, don't get modded ones for daily driving. Most people only sell their modded Jeeps because they want to build a new one-IE, the current one is getting pretty rough. A lot of them have been damaged and, while this is fine to overlook for a toy, I wouldn't want to rely on one to get you to work every day. Also, never, ever trust anybody who says 'I've never offroaded in it!' Look for wheel cupping, scraping on the transfer case skid, axel gearboxes, dirt on top of any skid plate and aftermarket sway bar links. If it's got any of those, chances are it's seen dirt. (The sway bar links alone aren't a sure thing, they have a nasty habit of going from regular driving, but if it's got quick-disconnect versions, it's definitely seen mud).

Also, I second browsing JeepForum.com. I'm on there under the same name and the people there are REALLY knowledgeable and helpful.

Also, don't listen to the Just Empty Every Pocket thing-that was coined because once you have a Jeep, you can't just leave it stock! Soon, you'll be drooling over lift kits and big tires and bumpers and winches and so on...I said I wasn't going to do anything to mine and I didn't even make it 2 months before I bought a lift!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyePower View Post
The engine is a straight six and has lots of problems.
WRONG. The AMC I6 is a fantastic engine, it's completely bulletproof. Most people report getting upwards of 300K miles on one with all stock parts. Maintain it properly, and it'll run you for years.

Glory, glory, what a hell of a way to die,
With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
S7G
MCB Member

While I have not had any wranglers i have had several Cherokees from 89-95.
Mine where all trouble free for the most part.
The 95 rusted out the drivers side floorboard.
My 89 has over 400K and all that was done to it is replacing the clutch once.
They go through snow like it isn't there.
The ride is okay.
the acceleration always seemed more then adequate. I have had them over 100mph.
The 4.0 is a excellent proven motor.
I like my old jeeps way better then the wenches expedition.
Mileage was about 14 in town and 17-19 on the road.

I loved my jeeps!

P-3

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.'

Bottom line is we never were angels...didn't try to
be. We were not related by blood, but we were brothers nevertheless...not in some sort of Hollywood way, but in a real life "no ****" kinda way.
William Walter AC-130 Gunner 2011
S7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

As everyone has mentioned, gas mileage is horrible. I had an old 87 YJ that had a crappy 4 cyl. engine. It leaked oil like there was no tomorrow. BUT I still loved her! There is just something special about driving down the road without doors by your side and no top above you.

Despite their shortcomings. They have come a long way!

I would go for a TJ in your case. Good on road ride and can be made into great off road rigs. You simply can't beat a coil spring suspension. I think you'll find driving one very very nice!

EDIT: Marauder Pilot...In all fairness some of the earlier Inline 6s were pieces of junk. The original 4.2ltrs had problems with leaks and poor power. Most of this has been refined over the years however. Esp. with the intro. of the 4.0 ltr. and better fuel delivery systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
Because, ya know, health care reform is what Hitler and the Nazi's were known for.
Here is my feedback thread:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Thrillin' Heroics

Oh, yeah, that reminds me-don't get the I4. It gets the same mileage as the I6, but with a LOT less power. It's just not big enough an engine to effectively move a Jeep.

And, yeah, crusing around, topless and doorless, is great fun.

EDIT: True, the 4.2 on the early YJs wasn't great. Not terrible, but the 4.0 on the later YJs and TJs was a huge improvement. Although I'd still love to see a Toyota I6 in the Wrangler. Or a diesel...*drool*

With a rifle in your hands and you're falling through the sky,
He ain't gonna jump no more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu View Post
Nothing says "violent and insane" like sharpening a shotgun.
Marauder_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Marauder Pilot: Just because you want a diesel Jeep, here you go. They also have Hemi powered models as well.

American Expedition Vehicles - Diesel TJ Wrangler Concept (RHD - Right Hand Drive)

And yes...these are Just Empty Every Pocket!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph View Post
Because, ya know, health care reform is what Hitler and the Nazi's were known for.
Here is my feedback thread:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyePower View Post
The engine is a straight six and has lots of problems.
Whats wrong with the 4.0L, it seems common for them to reach 300,000miles.
Aolt of ppl said they would buy the new JKs just becuase they switched to a V6.

Inline sixs are great for lowend torque which is why they put it in a wrangler origionally designed for OFFROAD CAPABILITY. But nowdays ppl in the city want them because they think they look cool or something and Chrysler continues to adapt to these "comfort" demands. Ppl who buy a wrangler shouldnt be worried about milage, ride comfort, noise, aceleration.

Quote:
I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryantuomi View Post
I always close both my eyes and use the force.
Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
1996XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat