mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lazy Longballer

Send a message via AIM to Niterocker

Cigarette Brand Question

Greetings all.

I'll try to make a long story short... In an effort to curtail my smoking habit, I have been "switching down." This is a method of reducing/quitting smoking in which you slowly switch to cigarettes with lower nicotine and tar contents (and not smoke more to compensate). I thought up the idea myself, but it turns out that many other people have had the same idea. It may seem really absurd to some, but I am very pleased with the results. My estimated daily nicotine intake is less than 50% of what it was just a few months ago.

Anyway, the problem is that I am unable to locate a cigarette that is appropriate for my next "step" here in NJ. I googled (even though I think it's illegal to buy online cigs in NJ) but still couldn't find a place with the cigarettes that I need in stock - even though several sites claimed on their front page to have them.

So, long story short, does anyone know about either of these brands of cigarettes: "Triumph" or "Sterling"?

Thanks!

-Keith
(hajkowski@aol.com)

Note: Anyone wishing to make unnecessary posts about the evils of smoking and/or smokers, please start your own thread.

My wife said she felt nauseous. I told her not to be so hard on herself.
Niterocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

ah, no one likes a quitter...

but for health stakes, the switching method is about 40 years old or so.

the best way to quit is either cold turkey and "sweat" out the nicotine, or use a product lie Chantix which blocks nicotine from getting into the body.

but just quitting the smoking isn't going to work, as you need to break the "habit" of smoking. clean out your care, wiping down adn cleaning everything, to get the nicotine, as well as the smell out of your vehicle. don't wake up with the smoke and/or coffee(association is one of the biggest habits of smoking: coffee and cigarettes, driving and smoking, smoking after sex, etc and so forth), wait a half hour before lighting up, or taking a half hour before smoking after a meal can go a lot longer way to helping you quit, than just switching brands to lessen nicotine intake.

but buying over the internet isn't illegal in NJ. had a friend order in Russian Marlboros. they where good.
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Marathoner

I don't know where to find Triumph or Sterling, but here is a chart I just found (I don't know how accurate it is) that might be of particular help to you.
Nicotine, Tar, and CO Content of Menthol Cigarette Brands

I had been quitting for 14 years and finally just got over the habit, though I would still smoke at EMR and occasionally buy a pack every couple of months as a treat.

Good luck quitting! It's easy once you learn how. (Hint: you just don't smoke )
Old 12-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Five four three two one

Nite,

I read a study a while back indicating that people who switched down to lighter cigs didn't see any appreciable reduction in the amounts of nicotine and tar they were ingesting because the natural tendency is for people to just hit the lighter smokes harder to get the level of nicotine they were accustomed to.

After smoking on and off for almost 14 years I found Chantix to be a great way to quit.

Good luck.
onecaribou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
So wait, I can take this Chantix stuff and still smoke and I won't get any of the Nicotine? Sounds like a win-win situation to me... I still get to look cool without any of the addiction... unless you count looking cool as an addiction.
p8ntguykenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Ramenjames

you could dip or chew, granted you will get a stronger addiction to nicotine (the average sized dip kept in for 30 mins has 3 ciggs worth of nicotine, or so im told) and it allegedly causes cancer faster (or so im told) but atleast you will be able to breath and run well again!
NBA Hall of Famer-Karl Malone
Future Hall of Fame Baseball "Slugger" Barry Bonds (probably-anyway)
Jennifer Lopez-Hall of Fame Booty
& Ramenjames
Coincidence I think not
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
ramenjames won the race.... the human race.
'Nuff said
Ramenjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

If your down to the lites or ultra lites then it is time to start cutting back on the number of cigaretts themselves. Start by figuring how many a day you smoke and count out that many for each day. after a week take one away and just keep going till your done.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

I switched to American Spirits. They cost a little more, but I smoke fewer and they taste better. Not that smokes taste good, but its not as nasty as Marlboro reds.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Agg- What you need a Rag?

My dad did this when he was around
he did it as a new years resolution and whenever he had a craving he would have a tic tac or a lifesaver.
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
TANSTAAFL

CCM Fan
Do you have any idea how hard it is to light a tic tac? Seriously though, good luck, quitting was one of the hardest things I've done, and I still sneak one in when I'm overly stressed, but I used a method similar to what you're doing and it worked great.
"WHY is that guy licking Criticals pants?"
My Feedback
Critical is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat