mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shartley View Post
I will also add that freedom of speech goes in both directions. For those who like something but don’t like others saying it is wrong, keep in mind that they have the right to say what they think as well.

And I agree with that, I don’t condone shutting him down because I disagree with him that would be wrong.

"When monkeys at the zoo run out of poop, they fling ICD guns."
-Risk Factor 2
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
These arguements are tenueous at best.

If a woman wears a short skirt and it turns me on; Is it her fault if I rape her? You seem to suggest that people are not responsible for their actions if it's been suggested to them that they should do it. Should short skirts be banned? Or Should you learn to keep your junk in your pants?

Every generation has a scapegoat for why society can't behave.

When I was growing up there was the huge scare regarding Dungeuns and Dragons. I played D&D for many years, Not once did I sacrifice a dog, Not once did I try to attack a neighbor with my Longsword of Dismembering (+5).

These are all excuses for weak minded children and bad (or non-existent) parental guidence.

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shartley View Post
I will also add that freedom of speech goes in both directions. For those who like something but don’t like others saying it is wrong, keep in mind that they have the right to say what they think as well.
As long as they present their opinions as such, Of Course. It's when opinions are presented as facts and shoved down your throat it becomes problematic.

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

“If a woman wears a short skirt and it turns me on; Is it her fault if I rape her? You seem to suggest that people are not responsible for their actions if it's been suggested to them that they should do it. Should short skirts be banned? Or should you learn to keep your junk in your pants?”

A man doesn’t get up one day and decide to rape a girl, he was moving down that road along time ago. It’s the same thing for a doctor, he dosnt just walk into the operating room and cut on someone, he was moving down that road along time ago.

“You seem to suggest that people are not responsible for their actions if it's been suggested to them that they should do it”

What’s sad is people have been using that as there defense in courts these days. “Mc Donalds made me fat”. What they are choosing to over look, is they did take the time to pump that stuff into there heads/guts. They were responsible for putting trash in there heads/mouths. Thrash in trash out, there fault.

-Risk Factor 2
Old 11-14-2006, 03:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Q: “If you are influenced by a movie then you weren't properly taught as child the difference between right and wrong”
A: “parents these days do not teach their kids the difference between right and wrong properly”

Q: “If you are influenced by a movie then you weren't properly taught as child the difference between right and wrong”
A: Or Coke, Pepsi, Tippmann, or every body out there who sells to the public, did there job. They influenced you.

It also follows the argument that music doesn’t affect a person; anyone ever put on romantic music or heard you and your wife’s “song”. Music can make an action scene or break it, why? Because music influences you….. Rabbit trail sorry
You sure have a strange way of thinking (to me at least). Buying a coke because of an ad, isnt really an issue is it? Killing someone because you seen it in a movie, thats an issue now isnt it. By your logic, its a bad thing that your parents influenced you as a child? Or to be influenced by your respective religion? Your saying that we should never be influenced? I dont see your logic here. We should teach our children that its ok to buy a coke, and not ok to imitate or try things in a movie or something they saw on TV. Theres a HUGE difference, at least in my opinion............

I guess it comes down to, if something influences you that its bad?????
Why would hearing the song from my wedding, and making me smile, be a bad thing? Thats what I am getting from you here, in a nutshell.

Shane-O
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to Striker9

I've seen Borat twice, does that mean double trouble for me? Although I do hate the Jerry Springer Show and the way our news stations have taken after it, I find nothing wrong with this movie. I've been playing video games since I was about 8 and there is nothing wrong with me, I'm an high school honors student. Video games, movies, and other types of media allow you to escape from the real world. If you bring any "trash" back with you something is wrong.

I agree with everything Darkstar has said.

EDIT:
Quote:
A man doesn’t get up one day and decide to rape a girl, he was moving down that road along time ago. It’s the same thing for a doctor, he dosnt just walk into the operating room and cut on someone, he was moving down that road along time ago.
Doesn't this go against what you were saying before? There is no doubt that a rapist has been moving down that road for a long time, but a short skirt could have been the last influential factor. It is the same with a movie or video game. If you go out and commit some violent or racist act it is not because of a movie or video game, you've been heading down that road.

Quote:
What’s sad is people have been using that as there defense in courts these days. “Mc Donalds made me fat”...
Haven't you been saying that entertainment like Borat will make us bad people or degrade society? What's the difference between people saying "Mc Donalds made me fat" and what you're saying?

This whole debate could be applied to paintball. Because we are simulating shooting people, we're eventually going to go do it for real.

Last edited by Striker9; 11-14-2006 at 04:13 PM.
Striker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

1. "You sure have a strange way of thinking (to me at least). Buying a coke because of an ad isn’t really an issue is it?"
No but it’s the same concept

2. "Killing someone because you seen it in a movie, that’s an issue now isn’t it."
I covered that in the previous post.

3. "By your logic, it’s a bad thing that your parents influenced you as a child?"
Never said that, re-read my post

4. "Or to be influenced by your respective religion?"

5. "You’re saying that we should never be influenced?"

6. "I don’t see your logic here. We should teach our children that its ok to buy a coke, and not ok to imitate or try things in a movie or something they saw on TV. There’s a HUGE difference, at least in my opinion............"
You are right and I agree, why would you let them see the movie in the first place if it’s wrong? Well nm you already said that parents are not parenting like they used to.

7. "I guess it comes down to, if something influences you that its bad?????"

8. "Why would hearing the song from my wedding, and making me smile, be a bad thing? "

Shane-O

-Risk Factor 2
Old 11-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
As long as they present their opinions as such, Of Course. It's when opinions are presented as facts and shoved down your throat it becomes problematic.

-MR
And I agree... but that also goes in both directions. I see a bit of it being done on both sides in this very thread.
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

"Originally Posted by Pepper
A man doesn’t get up one day and decide to rape a girl, he was moving down that road along time ago. It’s the same thing for a doctor, he dosnt just walk into the operating room and cut on someone, he was moving down that road along time ago."

Doesn't this go against what you were saying before? There is no doubt that a rapist has been moving down that road for a long time, but a short skirt could have been the last influential factor. It is the same with a movie or video game. If you go out and commit some violent or racist act it is not because of a movie or video game, you've been heading down that road."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Were have I contradicted myself?

"Quote:
What’s sad is people have been using that as there defense in courts these days. “Mc Donalds made me fat”...
Haven't you been saying that entertainment like Borat will make us bad people or degrade society? What's the difference between people saying "Mc Donalds made me fat" and what you're saying?"
---------------------------------------------------------------

You got to read my post, I pick my words carfully.

“Mc Donalds made me fat”. What they are choosing to over look, is "they" did take the time to pump that stuff into there heads/guts. "They" were responsible for putting trash in there heads/mouths. Thrash in trash out, there fault.”

Borat isn’t going to make me bad, but if I choose to sew trash into my life, I will reap it. That is a universal truth.

Were me and some others are disagreeing on is some believe that the world doesn’t have an effect on them, I say it does. I say one should guard what “they” (not the government) should let into there heads.

pep

-Risk Factor 2
Old 11-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
1. "You sure have a strange way of thinking (to me at least). Buying a coke because of an ad isn’t really an issue is it?"
No but it’s the same concept

Explain why the concept is bad then.

2. "Killing someone because you seen it in a movie, that’s an issue now isn’t it."
I covered that in the previous post.

Rhetorical question......

3. "By your logic, it’s a bad thing that your parents influenced you as a child?"

Not accusing you of saying it directly, its what I am reading into your statements. you agreeing or disagreeing?

4. "Or to be influenced by your respective religion?"

5. "You’re saying that we should never be influenced?"

I am trying to understand your logic, help me out here.

6. "I don’t see your logic here. We should teach our children that its ok to buy a coke, and not ok to imitate or try things in a movie or something they saw on TV. There’s a HUGE difference, at least in my opinion............"
You are right and I agree, why would you let them see the movie in the first place if it’s wrong? Well nm you already said that parents are not parenting like they used to.

7. "I guess it comes down to, if something influences you that its bad?????"

8. "Why would hearing the song from my wedding, and making me smile, be a bad thing? "

Shane-O
I am trying to understand your logic, But it seems that you cant explain it, or wont, I dont know which it is. Do you feel that a movie like Borat shouldnt be allowed to be made? Or just that no one should go see it? If it is your opinion that the movie is bad, then dont go see, or allow your children to see it, that I understand. What I dont understand is your blanket statement about being influenced. Can you explain it better for me?

Shane-O
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat