mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Borat movie

I’ve never bin a big fan of movies or TV shows that take advantage of people or trick them in a bad way. The new movie "Borat," really bothers me that so many are going to go see it. I’ve heard the argument that the people that go see don’t necessarily see it as something that is right or ok, but they just wanted to see something funny. But that’s a wrong way of thinking. What ever happened to common sense if you give your mind, money and time to something you are investing into that idea… agreeing with it in a sense. You can not sit thru something like that and not have your way of thinking effected. Trash in trash out, I’m rambling now…..anyhoo

pep

"When monkeys at the zoo run out of poop, they fling ICD guns."
-Risk Factor 2
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon now.

SOME of us have been watching and laughing at Borat on "Da Ali G Show" for YEARS already. All of a sudden he's this "new" guy according to the media shows.

"That's niiiice." [/Borat voice]
Old 11-14-2006, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
What way of thinking? Are you suggesting that I'm going to want to drink fermented goat urine after seeing this movie? or maybe I'll want to marry my sister? I do wish to visit this place called jewtown he speaks of so often, Seems like a nice place.

It's satire. He presents a very over the top presentation of reality, in order to bring attention to something that otherwise gets ignored. There's a tremendous amount of bigotry, racism, and sexism is this country. Cohen has chosen a wierd way to confront it, but he does. Have you ever seen his HBO show, The "Ali-G" Show? There are still plenty of down-home rednecks who actually agree with everything he says. Perhaps I should feal bad for them? I don't.

Or do you feal bad for the people who are in the movie? The people who signed release forms because their desire to be on the big screen out weighed their intelligence? Just like all the fools on Jerry Springer. I don't.

In my opionon it's about time someone besides Mel "The Anti-Semite" Gibson got some headlines for their movies.

-MR

edit: Darn you Brewtt, you snuck in while I was taking too long with my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

What I said and meant was very straight forward, what you put your money and time towards is your treasure. That can be applied to anything and is a universal truth that is not my opinion but a fact. Trash in trash out, how can that be defended?

pep

-Risk Factor 2
Old 11-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Needs new knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
What I said and meant was very straight forward, what you put your money and time towards is your treasure. That can be applied to anything and is a universal truth that is not my opinion but a fact. Trash in trash out, how can that be defended?

pep

The treasure I get from paying to see movies (any movie, stupid or intellectual sp?) Is forgetting the work worries, forgetting about the dishes/laundry/leaf raking at home. The treasure is that I laugh and leave laughing. Thats worth $7 to me. The fact is that once the movie starts, I focus on the movie and it helps clean out the cache in my brain. Its not trash if you enjoy it. Another mans trash is anothers treasure.

A question for you Pepper. Why does someone need to defend watching what they want to watch? We work for our own money, why shouldnt we spend it how we like?

Shane-O
Shane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

i have da ali g show on dvd

aqua_scummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

“Its not trash if you enjoy it. Another mans trash is another’s treasure”.
I understand that statement but it doesn’t apply here. Drugs are trash and people enjoy them…. as it kills them.

“A question for you Pepper. Why does someone need to defend watching what they want to watch? We work for our own money, why shouldn’t we spend it how we like?”
I could skirt around this but I won’t. There is a line of thought that says “I can do what ever I want and it wont effect anyone ells, do what feels good” ask a recovering addict’s family if that is true. I’m just saying wake up people, are you being an influence or are you being influenced.

-Risk Factor 2
Old 11-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

I thought it was hilarious.

And for those who want to call the character an anti-semite, which many people I know have done, the actor who portrays Borat (Sacha Baron Cohen) is jewish himself. I thought the movie was inappropriately hilarious, just as it was meant to be. Sure, it was racist...but it was racist to everyone. And as a "vanilla face", I'm fine with it. It was all in good fun...I mean, how many of you who dislike this movie, enjoy Chappelle's Show? They play on the same racist stereotypes, and make it funny.
t-son_15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Only "PART" Canadian

I never watched his show. Head about it, but I don't get those Fancy HBO channels, I just never watched them.
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

I agree with Pepper in a sense.

I think in a way Jerry Springer type shows and movies amplify, or increase the amount of the bad behaviour that is portrayed in them, and what used to be a rare not so much tlked about thing, has become the norm now.

How many kids tried to ride down hills in grocery carts before the movie Jackass for example?

How many school shottings with angry brats wearing black trenchcoats happened before Columbine, now, with all the hype, it became more common.

My dad remembers bringing guns to school and leaving them in the lockers so they could go hunting on thier way home from school. D you think that would fly today? Why do you think that is?

It is because of these types of shows, and media attention focusing exclusively on the negativity of our society which has made it become more prevalent.

Mr. Cohen is making lots of money by helping to destroy society.

Sad really.

Humans can be just like the mice with the electrodes in thier heads, trying to press the button with thier bloodies stumps of what was left of thier limbs after crossing the electrical grid to press the button that stimulates thier pleasure center.

Leave me alone, I enjoy this!

Just like kids..
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat