mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:27 AM   #61 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrrpie-CT View Post
Interesting. I hadn't come across that before especially in regard to the MK23. I love my Hi-Power; it fits like a glove. Probably not the best choice today.
The Mk 23 is a heavy(38 ounce, alot for a polymer framed gun), expensive pistol that has about the same reliability as a good custom shop 1911.. At about twice the cost and with a horrible trigger and rotten ergonomics to boot. A steel framed Springfield Operator will do the same thing the Mk23 does.. For a thousand dollars LESS, and with a much better trigger and grip.

God help me, but their handguns suck. They have the ergonomics of the black bird statue in "The Maltese Falcon" big, black, heavy and awkward. As one Special Forces heavyweight told me, the only know useage of the H-K SOCOM .45 gun, which, in fact, weighs the same as a 1962 Volkswagen, is in Bruce Willis movies. "Sucker needs wheels!" he told me. The high bore line in most H-K pistols makes them a bitch to shoot it took Tom Cruise 30,000 live rounds to get up to speed for that speed rock sequence in "Collateral." A 1911, 500 rounds and California LEO instructor Mike Dalton could have done the trick in an afternoon. ~link

HTRN
Old 11-18-2006, 04:55 AM   #62 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

On the self destructing Glocks--the ones that are more prone to blowing up are .40 (.40 HK USP's like to blow up too), 10mm, and .45 calibers due to several factors, including the fact that the chamber doesn't fully support the cartridge case. 9mm Glocks aren't affected. As far as I know, there have been only 2 documented cases of 9mm Glocks exploding, and thats statistically far less than other handgun designs.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #63 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Hee hee hee..

When in doubt, go with a JMB design -

9mm Para: Browning Hipower
10mm, 45ACP, 45 Super: 1911.

HTRN
Old 11-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #64 (permalink)
DCB
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to DCB

.45 does not need a supported chamber. Not enough pressure to make a difference. Shoot... I would even load a split .45 case one more time before I would trash it when I was competing.
CPPA #1092
Pump Gun Pimp #80
LPPC #164
Spec Ops Pump User#86
Pump Player Clan
http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54098
Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...html#post78710
Gallery
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/...er=184&cat=500
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #65 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB View Post
.45 does not need a supported chamber. Not enough pressure to make a difference. Shoot... I would even load a split .45 case one more time before I would trash it when I was competing.
This is true with good ammo, but most kabooms are caused by reloaded/remanufactured (sometimes even brand new factory) ammo that is significantly overpressure. With a fully supported chamber you probably wouldn't notice anything but a little extra recoil, but without it there's a nice weak spot for the gases to blow out.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #66 (permalink)
DCB
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to DCB

True with most... but .45, even with a double charge is not to bad. Been there and done that. It is very forgiving!
CPPA #1092
Pump Gun Pimp #80
LPPC #164
Spec Ops Pump User#86
Pump Player Clan
http://www.techpb.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54098
Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...html#post78710
Gallery
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/...er=184&cat=500
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:22 PM   #67 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

If I owned a 1911 today(which sadly I do not, Eff you, "Mayor Mike"!), I wouldn't set it up for .45ACP unless it's for shooting "class" competition.

Instead, I would set it up for .45 Super - Much higher pressures, but same external case dimensions means you can shoot both ACP AND Super. The differences are internal case construction.

HTRN
Old 11-20-2006, 02:10 AM   #68 (permalink)
Morbidly Sarcastic!

Send a message via AIM to Tescrash Send a message via Yahoo to Tescrash

I've always liked the Browning Hi-Powers myself. Barring that, maybe a Sig, or a Ruger P-89(they're ugly as hell, but they shoot, & shoot, & shoot, & shoot....)

But for style, it's gotta be the P-08 Luger or the Broomhandle Mauser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Of A-5
I thought you were serious for a moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurtcow
I am. That's a dude that desperately wants to be a chick.
Tescrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #69 (permalink)
Nocturnal

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
Wow...it's like the Yankees fans vs the Red Sox fans in here. Sig or Glock.

Well, I've carried the sig 2340 and 226 chambered in 40 as my duty firearms. I personally own a sig 226 chambered in 9. I do like Sigs, although I can't honestly say I've been throughly indoctrinated into Glock use.

If you can still acquire .45 ball from your supply channels, I'd say you can't beat an old Colt 1911. I carried it as a driver during my first 2 years in, before we switched to the M9.

Parts and service are definitely factors....there's always the option of private-purchasing a Beretta, since you could be sure it's new and not a military rehab, and you could make sure it gets a reasonable performance tuning before shipping out. And, it's a real-deal beretta, not a lowest-bid, give-the-design-to-another-mass production-manufacturer copy. And, there will be parts in-theatre should you need them.

Of course, I still love the old police issue S&W .357's. Chambers .38 or .357.Simplicity, reliability, fewer moving parts, and a hearty, wholesome bang with definitive stopping power. But, I'm sure the ammo would be difficult to come by overseas.

My MCB feedback
LUKE is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat