mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

9mm, so many choices but which is right for the desert?

Help me out Brothas...

I have been told I can accept the standard issue Baretta or BYOG.
DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Does it have to be a 9mm?

Glock?

Sig.... that would be what I would go with if it had to be a 9mm.

Unless you wanted to go and were allowed to have a single action... then maybe a Browning High Power.

If you can go with an alternate caliber I would get a colt .45 acp 1911A1.

THose are my thoughts..... oh and beretta wouldn't be my last choice but it wouldn't be my top choice.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Don't know from experience but I'm pretty sure he is limited to 9MM, I'm sure the army doesn't like stocking different calibers?

That is all I have to say about that though. . . sorry I can't help you more DSA!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a Sig and have not been happy with it. It is not reliable in my opinion and overpriced. My 9mm Glock 17 and 19 have yet to fail or have any malfunctions and shoot excellent.

Also if you hunt around the net you can find those ridiculous stress tests of Glocks where they drop them out of planes, bury them, shoot them and they still work- had me sold.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
If you wanna go expensive you can go Walther P99, my grandfather had one for a short time and I loved the thing. Uses 9x19s.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

As much as I hate Glocks they do make a durable hi-cap 9mm. If you don't have to go with 9mm I would have to agree with Schmitti, 1911 based 45acp. More stopping power. Good luck in your search.
JTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
Sig.... that would be what I would go with if it had to be a 9mm.
+1 on the Sig. I have a P226 and I'll never ever need another 9mm. I Love it. I have a couple friends (who happen to be military police, not that it matters) who also own the P226 model for their personal use. Another friend of mine recently picked up a Sig P229 which he likes but I don't have an impression on it yet.

Someone mentioned the Walther P99 which, based on things I've heard, might not be the way to go. Two friends of mine bought them when they came out (in .40 S&W, 9mm might work out better). One guy HATED his because it was often breaking some internal part, the other guy didn't have as many outright failures, but he likes his Sig better I think.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
I don't know about the long term on the P99, only had access to it for about a year before it was sold for cash so he could get another long gun w/o my grandmother killing him. It shot fine for me as a target gun, but I was thinking about something else too, for DSA it might lack the long range stopping power he would need in a defense situation. I would recommend the previously suggested Browning or the Glock based on personal preference.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Just another thing on the sig over the glock.....

The sig is all metal and has a positive safety... not the little dinky trigger safety.

Personally I would rather go for the metal gun that can withsatand a metric butt load of abuse and has an external safety that is on/off when I tell it not by something touching the trigger.

Just more of my thoughts.

I have a friend who just recently gone through federal training with the sig... liked it a lot (single/double action).

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

Go with a Micro Uzi, its been desert proven by the Israelis. In all seriousness though, its pretty hard to beat Glock's reliability record. I've heard good things about the Springfield XD's as well, they have passed many crazy torture tests to prove they are just as reliable as Glocks. Best thing to do would be to take out several different guns and shoot them to see which one "feels" the best. If it were up to me I'd bring a Glock 17 or 19 and skip the Beretta.

Too bad they got rid of the 1911's instead of updating them. Even after nearly 100 years they still kick arse.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat