mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Well, I have not flew since before 911 (have not had a reason to) but Ive been told that security has gotten real bad. I suggest taking off your boots if they contain any metal, and sending them through the scanner thingy. I guess the food on flights sucks more than ever now ( theres something I thought wasnt possible, airline food being any worse than it was to begin with) So you might want to buy some food after you've passed through security. Get to the airport way way early, like 2 hours early in some areas

As far as making things less boring, just sleep and If you got a window seat, look out the window. Honestly its neat from up there, even more so at night. Watch the in flight move if its any good. You could bring a book, or hope the person next to you has a sense of humor as its fun to laugh at all the junk in the airline magazines. Honestly just relax, take a well needed break. Oh and be shure your seatback and traytable are in the upright possision.

Al
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Portable dvd player with your favorite TV series is a good choice.
Laptop is good but battery power could cut that time short.
books, magazines, whips, chains, and other assorted toys.
Be sure to eat a lot of garlic, beans, cabbage, and hotwings. Be sure to wash it all down with apple cider and beer. (just to make it that much more interesting) Every now and again, look out the window and say very loudly, What the hell was that? Then just before landing, whip out a plate of cookies and walk around asking everybody if they would like one.

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
mrwisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboater203 View Post
If you don't know him the entertainment can be driveing the guy next to you insane. Try doing you toe nails while he's eating (clip, grind, buff, polish don't forget to dig that stuff out from under the nails.) You'll have to improvise since you can't bring nail clippers on the plane.

Tug
Why is it, I can just about picture Listessa sitting on the seat barefoot and gnawing on her toenails?

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
mrwisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwisker View Post
Why is it, I can just about picture Listessa sitting on the seat barefoot and gnawing on her toenails?
Truthfully I can do that too. I just choose not to.

Really, I know I'll be ok with books and a notebook to write in. Fiddle with organizing stuff on the 'puter. Attempt to ignore the person next to me. All that good stuff. Envision me running through Chicago and Seattle making my connections too.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

If you plan on sleeping at all, be sure to bring your own pillow, the seats and pillows on the plane seem to be designed specifically to give you neck pain if you try to sleep.

What you going to do up here? I go to school up here in Fairbanks so if you have any questions I can try to answer them (JTurtle works up here too). Just make sure you bring plenty of warm clothing, it was -27*F the other day, its warmed up a bit though, today it was only -7*F. Bring a hat and gloves for sure, exposed skin is bad news now that its starting to get windy out.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Yeah I heard it was cold up there- I guess someone's taking me to the hot springs up there, I get to see the hockey game (YAY HOCKEY!!!), go sledding, play around after Thanksgiving shopping, do Thanksgiving dinner with a very nice family. Then just play around a couple days before I have to leave.

I have no idea if my Nextel will get service up there, but drop me a message here since the hotel has wireless.

As for JTurtle, yeah, I know he's kicking around up there.

NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Old 11-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

Awesome, Chena Hotsprings is a lot of fun, especially when its cold out. The 20 yard mad dash from the nice warm building to the nice warm hotsprings is always a challenge since you're wearing a bathing suit and its 30 below out. You can do crazy hair sculptures too, get your head wet and then hold your hair in a position until it freezes that way. My girlfriend has long hair so we had a 3 foot spike going straight up off her head . Hopefully there wont be a Japanese tour group there when you are, they consider it good luck to conceive a child under the northern lights and they aren't shy about going about it in the hotsprings, even with other people around. Hockey is fun up here too, its our main sport since we don't have college football and our basketball team isn't division 1.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Well football sucks, basketball is boring, and baseball is ok. Hockey is the One True Sport when it comes to hardcore team competitions. hehehehe =) Remember, I went to UMaine!

Yeah- I heard good stuff about Chena Hotsprings! Same warnings. Joe was saying that I guess it's January or February that the Japanese tourists show up. I'm sure my hair will get tormented! I've enough of it after all. Whole thing sounds like a heck of a time. Besides, the holidays are all about spending time with people you care for. =) That's where it's all good.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Ray View Post
Well, I have not flew since before 911 (have not had a reason to) but Ive been told that security has gotten real bad. I suggest taking off your boots if they contain any metal, and sending them through the scanner thingy. I guess the food on flights sucks more than ever now ( theres something I thought wasnt possible, airline food being any worse than it was to begin with) So you might want to buy some food after you've passed through security. Get to the airport way way early, like 2 hours early in some areas

Al
they're already goinna make her take off her boots, they do it to everyone now, not just random people.
the food's not really worse, it's pretty much gone. you get a soda and a bag of penuts (or a cookie if you're lucky, a dry cardboard-like cookie)

I bring my laptop (good headphones are a must, at altitude the cheap ones won't be loud enough to overcome your ears being plugged) a book or 2 and a GBA with a handful of games (i hear final fantasy 6 is coming out on it soon) to occupy me durring flights. i also sleep durring take off and landing since i can't have any electronics on then.

hopefully you've got a non stop flight. i've done the seattle to chicago and chicago to seattle flight quite a few times in the past year and since i was dirt poor when i did it, i had to settle for the cheapest flight which often had bizzar stopovers like chicago to dallas ft. worth to seattle, or seattle to orange county to chicago...turned the flight into like a 7 hour flight. one of which i was crammed into the isle seat of an overstuffed plane to the point i was litterally leaning into the center isle because the seats have gotten even smaller (and i'm not a big guy) the flight attendent smacked me in the head with her *** so many times durring the flight, i didn't know if i should complain, or slip her a $20.
Amoryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Yeah- I know the shoe thing, hence the boots with zippers. Not to mention they are hella comfy.
As for food, I'm cranky enough about the whole "no outside food past checkpoints" Which means I gamble when I get the good candy and all to bring as a thank you gift for some friends. Thank goodness for ziplock baggies. *shrug* At least sensible intellegent folks understand why the goodies may look squished or icky.

I know everyone suggests sleeping, but unless I stay up a LOT (which if I go through that rout would be bad since it virtually makes me narcoleptic and I guarantee I'd fall asleep on my feet in the airport and miss a connection), I will in no way be able to sleep on the plane. I hardly can fall asleep in my own bed or room when I'm comfortable. It is even more difficult to sleep with people around me.

I absolutely can't do video games. I haven't owned a game system since the Super Nintendo came out back in the day. Unless I resurrect the old game boy (yes the REAL one) and play Tetris again for a marathon 8 hours, I think I'll just read and all. =)
Video games raise the probability of bad things happing to others around me. Seriously. I'm so awful at them they enrage me. Bah. I'm strange.

I scored window seats on all the planes, so I can sort of curl up with my notebook, books to read, and laptop (I have some spreadsheets to really work up and can find my adobe photoshop so I can do some fun artsie stuff in the mean time). *shrug* Fewer people to deal with the better.

Too bad it's questionable as to weather or weather not I will be able to bring knitting needles. They go in checked baggage. Otherwise I'd be quite the content traveler.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat