mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Too bad you can't get some knitting needles made out of carbon fibre, and sneak 'em on taped against your spine, James Bond style. I'm sure American airlines aren't yet wise to the ways of covert knitting afectionado's.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

LOL
You know they make plastic and bamboo needles! I could try that... hummm Oh the possibilities!!! =)
Maybe just drag some of the smaller cross stitch. They said needles under three inches are good.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:27 AM   #23 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

My mom was able to take some huge knitting needles on the plane recently. She forgot to put them in her checked baggage and thought she was going to have to give them up at the security checkpoint but they told her that knitting needles were not one of the banned items (somehow a fingernail clipper file is more dangerous than an 18" knitting needle). Call the airline to make sure, but my mom was able to travel with them just last summer.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
I've porked many

I fly yearly to Japan, and the fifteen hours of flight time between my home and Narita,make for some boredom along the way sometime, no matter what. Books are good as well as portable dvd players, as you can get batteries that are good for ten hours. I always take earplugs as they tend to make the roar of the plane more bearable, as well as muffling all the other noise that is around you. Be prepared to take off your shoes when going through security. I always seem to get stuck behind someone who wants to wear linesmen's boots and takes a long time to unlace them. If you plan to amuse yourself, by annoying the other passengers, make sure you don't do it in away that gets you arrested. These people kind of found something to amuse themseves with during their flight, it just got them into a little bit of trouble. http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061114...t_061114235323 My personal recomendation for being annoying to the other passengers without getting arrested would be, go on an exclusive diet of deviled eggs, refried beans and beer for a week prior to departure.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
Shiny. Let's be bad guys

Send a message via AIM to Kindred Send a message via MSN to Kindred

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I'm jealous, Alaska has been on my list of places I want to backpack for about a decade now....just never quite pans out.

Keep in mind that I'm a serious techno-geeky-gadget kind of guy, so my in-flight list usually consists of redundant items all providing similar entertainment. I'm sure all these have been mentioned but....

BOOK - Usefull for bonking annoying neighbors on the plane

MP3Player -
Battery and music content should be more than enough to last the flight. (and airport delays)
Makes it easier to sleep/relax and tune out all the other passengers.
Plus I'm sure some of your buddies here on MCB might just 'accidentally' leave a 'back up copy' of our own music somewhere a little too accesable so you can hit the road w/ some new tunes.

LAPTOP - whole range of entertainment options. Music, DVD's, E-Books (which I prefer since I can dump them on my laptop or PDA which I'm already carrying anyway)

PORTABLE DVD PLAYER - Nice, and you can snag a decent one for the $100 range easily.....but it's another device to lug around and useless if your laptop plays dvd's anyway. I'd be more inclined to take that $100 and buy a 2nd high-capacity battery for my laptop!

(BTW, if your friend doesn't come through w/ an iPod for ya, I have a few non-ipod mp3 players lying around just waiting to go on ebay.....if you're willing to pick up the postage I'd be more than happy to send one out your way for a loaner)

Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:19 AM   #26 (permalink)

Drink plenty of water on the long flights. You WILL dry out fast. Though, if it didn't come on the airplane sealed don't drink it (no coffee or tea) and you can ask for the whole can of soda.
Bring good ear plugs (or noise canceling headsets). Certain seats on some airplanes are very noisy (the back of the MD-80/DC-9 series comes to mind)
If some fool uses your seat for leverage to get up hit the recline button. It will be the last time they do. Also avoid the last row of seats and the row of seats just ahead of the exit row. They don't recline. Bring food! No TSA rule about that. Also, airport food is expensive and the lines are long at the hubs. Some airlines serve food but unless you are in first class it will probably cost you. Headphones are a good idea too if you want to listen to whatever they are playing - those free ones they give out hurt. Also, AVOID the seat back pocket... Yeah, people are disgusting. If you have to go in there - just don't.
A neck pillow might not be a bad idea either (the inflatable one might provide better support). Last but not least try wear as little metal as possible it just makes dealing with the TSA bozos easier. Ughhh airlining sucks.
FLUNKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:49 AM   #27 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

I hope you brought lots of warm clothes Listessa. Right now is the coldest part of our year. At night Anchorage is getting down into the negative 20's.

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
I hope you brought lots of warm clothes Listessa. Right now is the coldest part of our year. At night Anchorage is getting down into the negative 20's.
Yep! That I am. Lots of warm stuff. Even if I don't feel it all that eaisly, yeah... don't want to cause damage to myself.

I did look at the website and they don't allow food that wasn't purchased AFTER the security check point, so I'll more likely just get reamed without all the politeness of even a, "Hey baby..." to give me something to munch on and drink. *growls*

I keep getting different things about knitting needles. I think it comes down to the preference of the checker guy at the first security point. (From what I gather) Since I'm going out of Boston, well, they'll be safely in checked luggage. I may bring cross stitching. Those little itty bitty needles are allowed and blunt scissors too.

Thanks a bunch for your offer Kindred! I did hear from my friend, and I'm picking up the iPod this weekend. You guys are all so nice!!!
I'm sort of sad tho, apparently in getting a new hard drive for the old computer, and later on switching over to the laptop I lost all of my Jonny Cash, Tom Waits, and some other cool stuff. Gotta get a copy of Slade doing "Run Runaway" anyway. Just a good song. I'll make sure to clip a video of me rocking out in the airport on the digi cam as well.
Lots of fun.

I'll behave with the security folks. I really will. That's why I have the wonderful zipper boots, and I'll be prepared. I've delt with enough officers to visit certain individuals over the past few years that I just want to get through and not deal with any crap therein.

I know I won't have as much fun as those people who got arrested. Remember, I'm flying alone and don't like making friends... hehe

I really am nuts to be going NORTH for winter. Oy.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
S7G
MCB Member

On Long flights one should drink,Watch DVDS, Read or just simply crash out.
I have never flown with out a Poncho liner.They are lightweight and warm. You can get them most anywhere.
Are you stopping over in anchorage? If you are and the plane breaks amke sure you say hi as the odds are I will be in the airport working.
Bring layers of clothes to stay warm.
Since it is nice and cold oif you get a clear night you will have a excellent chance at seeing some northern Lights.
Have a safe trip and stay warm.

P-3
S7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Listessa... three words:

Mile High Club

I'm sure there'll be someone on the plane who will accommodate you.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat