mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Flying Reccommendations

Ok. First off I haven't flown since I went to Florida back in spring of 1999 with my highschool band.

I'm headed to Alaska next week. (WOW! Hard to believe I leave so soon already!) I've looked at the TSA website on what I can and can't bring in carry on, and seen what my airlines are allowing for checked luggage.

What do you all recommend for a really long flight? Any tips on making travel easier? I'm going to wear my paintball boots (maybe shine them so they don't look so rough) since they are easy on and off with the side zippers and comfy as anything I own. Just to give you an idea I fly out of Boston on the 21st and arrive in Fairbanks around midnight on the 22nd.

Looks like I can have two checked bags, a carry on bag, and a "personal" item (ie purse, laptop or briefcase). So I think I can get away with the laptop case as a "personal" item cram the purse into the backpack as my carry on and call it sweet. (I HATE carrying a purse, and would die without laptop).

Any suggestions on how to deal with long flights that won't make the guy sitting next to me insane? I try to behave, but when I get bored, well, sometimes bad things happen.
Granted, I've flown to Australia before so this won't be SO bad, but I'm a little nervous/excited about getting there too.

Finally: Yes there shall be lots of pictures as I take them (when I'm there and when I get back. Hotel's got wireless!!!! WOOOO!!!!!)

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Your laptop battery will only last a couple hours. If you're a gaming sort, it might be a good idea to grab some kind of handheld system for the flight.

I also won't go on any plane without a book. Preferably something nice and long.

Laptop, book and pillow and you're set.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

If you don't know him the entertainment can be driveing the guy next to you insane. Try doing you toe nails while he's eating (clip, grind, buff, polish don't forget to dig that stuff out from under the nails.) You'll have to improvise since you can't bring nail clippers on the plane.

Tug

Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE, APP and GI Sportz

Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email or call 203-906-9621.
Tugboater203 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moderating in Moderation

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I've always found copious amounts of alcohol, a couple of good movies and a dvd player/laptop make long flights easier. Just get an extra battery for the laptop if the plane doesn't have a power port at your seat.
Politically, Socially and Aerodynamically Incorrect
Everything I have ever loved is immoral or illegal
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.
stewart potter common sense, elephant and duck tests
Force this into a gaussian distributed parabolic curve!
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Moderating in Moderation

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
oh - take some pictures on the plane to show us how you passed your time
Politically, Socially and Aerodynamically Incorrect
Everything I have ever loved is immoral or illegal
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur.
stewart potter common sense, elephant and duck tests
Force this into a gaussian distributed parabolic curve!
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

From someone who flies between the east coast and Hawaii 4 times a year, and who took over 10 - 12+ hour long bus rides through Turkey, there is nothing you can do that will make it so that you wont be bored or uncomfortable, except SLEEP.

Granted, I suck at sleeping on planes. If it's an AM flight, I don't sleep the night before. If it's a PM flight, I do whatever I can do during the day to make myself as tired as possible. (paintball works great) Maybe a beer right before I get on the plane. Some people use sleeping pills, but I've never been a fan of taking meds when you're not dying.

All in all, my best advice is to try to sleep. When you're shifting in your seat constantly, and the movie sucks, that dude snoring with his head thrown back and mouth open is who you envy.

-Rayn
Raynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

Really good books are the key.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fully Stocked

I'd keep busy by getting everyone to look for SNAKES!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretG View Post
A KL is like a samuri sword and should reflect the soul of the owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretG View Post
We came up with a plan... it involved a hijacked truck, two strippers, and lots of brass...
Latoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sugar Loaded Candy Cane!

Send a message via AIM to Mstrtal Send a message via Yahoo to Mstrtal

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
On all the long flights I have ever been on (Germany,Japan,Up anddown the east coast) I would have to say Book. Pick up Kim Harrisons Hollows Series. Dead Witch Walking, Every Witch way but Dead, The good the bad and the Undead, and Fistfull of Charms. Great series and the last books a right! Little OT but cant wait until For a few Demons More , comes out.Back OT Sleep anda book is bout all you can really do on a long boring flight...Unless a chance to join the Mile High club presents itself.

Bedknobs and Boomsticks!

Originally Posted by commandoman
Kick back and enjoy the atmosphere, sexy girls at my school keep me sane through the worst lectures by the worst professors

Mstrtal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Thanks for all the advice! I really do appreciate it.

Honestly, I doubt sleep will happen... I hardly sleep alone when I'm at home, and around people on a plane.... yeah. Insomnia!

The book idea works well. I plan on having a ton of books in the bag. The TSA bag search people will think I'm INSANE. Notebook, pens, and books by the dozen.

As for the laptop, mostly I figured I'd use it for music, but if someone comes through with their iPod for me to barrow I'll be set.
I don't play videogames. I'm sort of strange. hehehe

Tal... Tal... Tal... I hardly meet guys on the ground. Why would it be different in the air?
'Sides I got my eye on someone as is!

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat