mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
I have a Phantom

Send a message via MSN to Rayodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rayodder

here is another thought, what about turning DHCP off and use static IP's
Rayodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
ophthalmotropic

CCM Fan
NoCatAuth may work for you.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wire...nocatauth.html
grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Nocturnal

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
I just recently installed a wireless connection in my home. I'm going to keep reading this thread and try to interpret it all. I took all the out-of-the-box precautions I think I should take.

As for suggestions....hmmm...maybe line all my walls with a layer of aluminum foil, chicken wire and duct tape.

My MCB feedback
LUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
World's Okayist Machinist

All those routers they sell in the likes of best buy, Comp-USA, etc? All their security sucks, it's usually a generation behind unless you spend $$$$.

A better idea is reflashing the router with somebody elses firmware, like DD-WRT(FREE!), or even better, you can build your own from places like Routerboard.

DD-WRT includes such features as WPA 2 and Radius authentication.

HTRN
Old 11-17-2006, 07:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Shiny. Let's be bad guys

Send a message via AIM to Kindred Send a message via MSN to Kindred

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Good thread you got going here Chad!
I'll try to sum up my thoughts on it as simply as possible.

a) the real key to any network security, including wireless, is evaluate your risk level first.

b) retail type SOHO routers are not the most secure in the world, but really don't need to be, the average home/soho is not typically the target of sophistocated hacking attempts.

c) In the average neighborhood area, you don't have to be locked down like Ft. Knox.....your mainly concerned with people "doorknob rattling". (jiggle the handle, eh its locked....I'll try someone else) In most locations, your best bet is to simply be a harder target than your neighbors!!

MY GENERAL RULES OF THUMB WHEN SETTING UP WIRELESS FOR MYSELF OR OTHERS:

a) Change the routers default password
b) Change the default SSID and DONT BROADCAST IT! (dont advertise that you're there!)
c) Use mac filtering, but dont rely solely on it. Think of it as the "lock" on your screen door!
d) Definately enable WEP, I'd suggest TKIP, it just seems to be much easier for the casual user to manage.
e) Set your WEP key yourself to something you know. This makes it uber-easy to help a visiting friend jump onto your net....so you wont be inclined to turn off security "just for now to get so-and-so connected"

Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Good List Kindred. I love your screen door analogy. Reminds me of my high school days. I helped a friend install a new stereo in her Wrangler (Soft Top), the next day while she was at work someone razered their way into the car and ripped the stereo out of the dash. They did a few thousand dollars worth of damage for a $100 radio

-MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder_Pilot View Post
It will eventually get to the point where you're living in the back of a '78 Oldsmobile with a trunk full of the finest paintball gear known to man.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Shiny. Let's be bad guys

Send a message via AIM to Kindred Send a message via MSN to Kindred

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
......They did a few thousand dollars worth of damage for a $100 radio
That's why I ALWAYS leave the doors on my Jeep unlocked when I have the rag top on! Ya want the $55 stock stereo.....just open the door and take it!

Regarding the wireless, I've found that most people are so hell bent on iron clad DOD type encryption, that the solution gets so complex that they just open it wide up when things don't work. Then they're left with NO security rather than going for REASONABLE security.

Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
World's Okayist Machinist

WEP is a joke - it can now be cracked in less than 2 minutes, instead of days listening for "weak packets". WPA is the only thing I would consider. Mac Addressing and turning off SSID these days isn't even locking the door - it's having to turn the doorknob instead of it being wide open. Changing the default password is a given - if you don't, anybody can access your router and gives them admin privileges - they're are literally lists of routers default passwords and usernames.

One of the better things you can do is actually in the hardware - turn down the broadcast strength. - put your router in the basement, and only turn up the wattage just high enough for your WiFi applainces to get a clean signal, means that unless a wardriver drives in front of your house, he won't get a signal, and even then he might not. With the router at nominal output, you would be amazed how far the signal will carry - sometimes over 200 feet or more. Wardrivers aren't going to be driving up and down residential streets, they're more likely to cruise major boulevards looking for signals.

HTRN

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat