mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Romanian Villagers In 'Borat' Sue For $30M

NEW YORK -- Residents of a remote Romanian village filed a $30 million lawsuit Monday over their depiction in the hit movie "Borat," accusing the filmmakers of misleading them into thinking the project was a documentary about poverty.

The lawsuit was filed in federal court in Manhattan on behalf of Nicolae Todorache and Spiridom Ciorebea, two residents of Glod, Romania, where residents were used as stand-ins for Kazakhs in the film.

The plaintiffs alleged that 20th Century Fox Film Corp. and others involved in the comedy exploited them, telling them the movie was a documentary about extreme poverty in Romania that would fairly depict their lives, occupations, heritage and beliefs.

"Nothing could have been further from the truth," the lawsuit said. "The project was intended to portray the plaintiffs ... and other villagers as rapists, abortionists, prostitutes, thieves, racists, bigots, simpletons and/or boors."

In the movie, comedian Sacha Baron Cohen portrays a Kazakh journalist traveling across America in comic encounters that mock Americans. The film's opening sequence showing Borat's hometown in Kazakhstan is shot in Glod, 85 miles northwest of Bucharest.

Gregg Brilliant, a spokesman for 20th Century Fox, "Borat's" distributor, said the movie "was never presented to anyone in Romania as a documentary."

He said village residents were paid above the usual rate and mixed with professional actors and others to portray a fictional village. He said there was irony in the allegations in the lawsuit.

"It's a film that uses satire to expose racism and bigotry," he said.

The movie has been a surprise hit at the box office, earning more than $90 million so far in the United States.

People in the former Soviet republic of Kazakhstan also have complained about their depiction in the film.

In addition, two members of a South Carolina college fraternity have sued 20th Century Fox and three production companies over their appearance in the movie making drunken, insulting comments about women and minorities.

They say the crew got them drunk in a bar before filming and told them the movie would not be shown in the United States.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fleshy-Headed Mutant

Bah, most of these people just want a piece of the pie now that the movie is a huge success. These people all signed release forms so I have little sympathy, especially for the drunken frat boys.

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.
PolarMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just watched the movie, and it was disturbingly funny..... Definitely not a movie for kids/teenagers because of all the vulgar adult humor.

To many sue happy folks nowadays..... such a shame.

Proud member of Team IYAOYAS and sponsored by
Planet Eclipse , LCP Army, SobePaintball , Shooting Hot Magazine, Addiction Army, The Ford Report , and Conlee Custom Camo.

When being an Owner just isn't enough, A5OG l X7OG l 98OG l PEOG l IOG
Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rec Poster

lol the movie was great. and these people are most likely completely and rediculously lying to get a chunk of change. the romanian villagers didnt even get made fun of really. a lot of people are suing fore their own stupidity. i think its funny that it took a hollywood movie for some of these people to realize how dumb they are. I say in the world of making money, anything goes (anything legal that is, and this imo is very legal). Honestly, nobody will think any less of the alleged "town rapist" because he was portrayed as such in a movie. anyways.. go see it tonight if you havent!
Maverick313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Why don't you guys go watch homeless guys beat on each other on video?

I hear they sign a waiver too, so everything is fine with it, right?

get 'em all liquored up, and hve 'em beat each other bloody, isn't this fun watching people be exploited and made fun of?

Well, they signed waivers, so who cares if they were misled, or impaired when things went down, right?

Discusting..
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Nelson View Post
Why don't you guys go watch homeless guys beat on each other on video?

I hear they sign a waiver too, so everything is fine with it, right?

get 'em all liquored up, and have 'em beat each other bloody, isn't this fun watching people be exploited and made fun of?

Well, they signed waivers, so who cares if they were misled, or impaired when things went down, right?

Discusting..
Already done....

deleted

A friend of mine had the video, and all I can say is WTF!

Edit: I dont want to leave that link here, I dont support them...
Finished before you can commit a crime
DarkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
DSA
One in the Pipe!

Send a message via Skype™ to DSA

I felt so guilty to laugh out loud at some of the jokes but it was funny as hell.

DSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Could this possibly be a publicity stunt?

custar
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Or sue hungry people.

Then again I havn't seen the flick so I don't know how bad/offensive it is.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sugar Loaded Candy Cane!

Send a message via AIM to Mstrtal Send a message via Yahoo to Mstrtal

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Havent seen it but cant be any worse the "Faces of Death" or any of the copy cat flicks out there... Now THOSE are waiver signed exploit fests...stillcant help watching them.

Bedknobs and Boomsticks!

Originally Posted by commandoman
Kick back and enjoy the atmosphere, sexy girls at my school keep me sane through the worst lectures by the worst professors

Mstrtal is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat