mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 11-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Writing an essay on business - need "pro" opinions/thoughts

Hey all,

I'm writing an essay on the detrimental effects of corporations/why small business is important to national identity and am looking for anyone on the board who holds the highest degree in his/her field and/or is published. I'm specifically looking for people involved in sociology, business, and law. The paper is very limited in what I can write (has to be kept to one page), so I'd really only be looking for a quick e-mail/phone call to gather your thoughts on the matter and be able to throw in a quote or two of yours. Also, if anyone knows of any reputable source that I can grab some information from, that would be much appreciated as well. The "core" or the essay is finished, and I'm now in the "re-working/editing" phase, so I am just looking to piece everything together.

Thanks guys!
Sexy_Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I would suggest talking to someone that grew from a small biz into a big corp, and see what they think.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I don't think someone in that situation would likely provide the reponse I'm looking for (after all, if he/she is in that situation and didn't like it, I'm assuming he would get out of it).

But, looking over everything again, it looks like I have way too much written as it is, as I managed to overlook that the essay needs to be double spaced, which puts me at having a paper four times the maximum accepted length. Looks like I have some cutting down to do...

Since I have too much to work with, I guess I don't really need any other information, as I don't think I'd have anywhere to put it , so I'll close this up for now.

Thank you for bothering to respond, though, Azzy. Nobody else did .
Old 11-24-2006, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Passing through rider

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
Has your teacher given you this paper, or have you stuck to this topic? It sounds like if it is the former, they are pushing you to be of an opinion, instead of pushing you to find your own.

If you want to find out how a system works, you interview those in the system. Ask them questions about the subject, but dont ask them " So, how did you trample your fellow little guy to get here?"

Im not saying be dishonest about any of it. be truthful, it may just open your eyes to both sides of the argument.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Azzy is correct. Nothing more to add at this time on that issue…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexy_Chicken View Post
Thank you for bothering to respond, though, Azzy. Nobody else did .
… but this, you DO know that you posted on THANKSGIVING right? Most people who would have some good input would be spending that time with their families and not posting any lengthy responses on forums. Heck, I only made a few “Happy Thanksgiving” posts yesterday.
POG #934 / CPPA #2157 / LPPC #1 / BLACKLEAF OUTFITTERS
"Post because you have something to contribute, not because you want to contribute to your post count." - Me
A5OG / STRIKE FORCE MEMBER
shartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

The essay topic was not assigned by a teacher at all. It was part of a series of essays I'm writing for a college application. As far as where I actually stand on the topic, I've found very sufficient evidence to sway me either way; however, I'm solely keeping the interests of my reader(s) in mind here (all in a small, small business-oriented town).

And while I know I posted on Thanksgiving, I also realize that I targeted a VERY select group of people, of which I only know of a handful off the top of my head who could probably help me out.

Considered the format the essay has to adhere to, though, I'm strongly considering changing its topic to something else, since I don't believe I can provide too strong an argument one way or the other in two, maybe three paragraphs.

I do appreciate the help, though, guys!

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat