mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Can I top off my car coolant with water?

another totally noob car question.

previously I've posted about an engine coolant reservoir with 2 small holes on the top. There is some coolant in there, but it is not visible in the reservoir when the car is cold. When the car is hot the coolant is a little under the fill line.

can i just wait until top off the reservoir with water while the car is cold? tap water? distilled water? Brita filtered water because I don't have distilled water?

I'm in SoCal. It gets a little hot, but even in traffic the car temperature dial stays around the middle. Should I even bother topping off the coolant?

edit: it says no water here: Coolant or Water? is it legit?

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Corp Por, Kal Vas Flam

coolant raises the boiling point of water...so its ok to top off with water..but the next time you should add coolant
Old 04-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Blue - Red

CCM Fan
Anti Freeze does two things. It raises the boiling point - but also stops the water from freezing in your engine block in the winter.

You have little chance of that happening in Cali - so water should be fine - but you want to see where that coolant is going if you are refilling a lot!

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Trololol

Send a message via AIM to Meph

Fan of EMR
It'll be fine to top off. Water should be mixed in coolant any ways. You don't put the stuff straight into the radiator or reservoir, you're supposed to cut it. Different percentages will have different results, depends on your area and what would be best.
Meph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
www.tituspb.com

Mine just just keep leaking out anti freeze got expensive, lost a whole bottle after two days, so I put water in it. Since I live in FL, freezing isn't an issue. After watching mythbusters I found that putting a cracked egg into the rad directly will plug up any leaks. And 2 months in, and no leaks.

Please donate to make a difference in my fathers life
Willing to be a 3rd party for shipments to Canada anywhere in the world just PM me.
Buy a Celanis Paintball Patch for a good cause
http://stationcaster.com/player_skin...=4751&f=855201 < Radio Ad
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hoarder not Whore

Water is ok.

And since you are in so. cali. where freezeing isn't an issue, not a problem there. However..... what has not been mentioned is that water alone in a radiator will sooner or later cause corrosion. Anti freeze will slow that process. in addition to cooling more efficiently in hot weather, and being in so. cali. I would assume that IS an issue. Check and keep the ratio of coolant/water within mfgr. specifications.

Titus: I have also heard that oatmeal.. the cooking kind, not instant stuff... will also seal a leaking radiator. however neither eggs nor oatmeal is really a permanent fix ... I would look into something better ($$ permitting) It would be MY luck to have an "oatmeal" radiator repair let go on my way to the next Paintball meet

P.S. Eggs, Oatmeal........ I wonder if anyone has tried bacon in there?!

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Dave-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BigDaddyBeavis

from personal experience, a teaspoon of pepper also will seal small pinhole leaks.

My MCB Feedback

Wildcat Paintball | Paintball Outfitters | CCM | PB Customz | One Shot Wonders

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.
BigDaddyBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

Why not use a legit product instead of putting in something that will rot? They make a metal powder for radiator leaks that works well. You will not catch me putting food into my coolant system.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Mine just just keep leaking out anti freeze got expensive, lost a whole bottle after two days, so I put water in it. Since I live in FL, freezing isn't an issue. After watching mythbusters I found that putting a cracked egg into the rad directly will plug up any leaks. And 2 months in, and no leaks.
you seriously cracked an egg in your radiator?

MCB feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
no, I'M sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-D View Post
However..... what has not been mentioned is that water alone in a radiator will sooner or later cause corrosion. Anti freeze will slow that process. in addition to cooling more efficiently in hot weather, and being in so. cali. I would assume that IS an issue. Check and keep the ratio of coolant/water within mfgr. specifications.
oh, corrosion...

i guess i'll leave the water out for now. the car has never reach high temp so i'm guessing it still has enough coolant in there. might as well not accelerate the corrosion if it's cooling just fine....?

pile of poo, HARD MODE, automag pistol---S.P.E.W.II---What if this hurts me?---No, I'M sorry.---Semiautomatic Nelspot 007!---Decay of Nations 4
Camp Pendleton meetup 2010---Watch me fail at pump!---Clareball 2010 vid!---MCB Stock Class Meet!---HELMETCAM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcandy1993 View Post
Before the first day Velcor said let there be Heinous and it was true. And then Heinous said "Let there be God" and it was true. And it was good
heinous is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat