mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Stock Class Aficionado

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
From an engineering standpoint, salary is basically hourly w/o the overtime. You still do a minimum required number of hours, so don't have any delusions that if you're extra efficient and get all your crap done by noon Friday you can blow and go play golf..that doesn't happen. However, the company will be more than happy to pull the salary card on you if they need you to come in on Saturday or stay until 10PM.

Other than a rate increase, there's no advantage I have yet to see by being salary classified.
Agreed.

My last work term was salaried, I had to work overtime without pay on several occasions, but I managed to turn my 20+ hours of overtime into one pity day off by the end.

This current work term is hourly, and any overtime goes into a stockpile. At the end I can either take off equivalent time or get paid for it (straight time though, but whatever).
Old 04-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Nerd=Geek

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
I'm making a bit more than my last good hourly gig and I'm salaried. As far as the once a month thing goes, see if you can set yourself up with a mid-month advance.That's what I do. I've specified how much I'd like to get and I get a cheque that's post-dated until mid-month. I'll probably switch to once a month later this year but it's nice knowing I have that extra chunk-o-change every couple of weeks.

Andry : )

Proud member of The Peacekeepers, UMSG JTF7, Rogue Cell #12 and CCABB

My Feedback
CrazyBoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Send a message via AIM to Greenmtnphantom Send a message via MSN to Greenmtnphantom

Fan of EMR
Quote:
don't have any delusions that if you're extra efficient and get all your crap done by noon Friday you can blow and go play paintball..that doesn't happen.
Fixed that for you
I don't so much make money, as provide a conduit for it's movement.
Stock class = 12grams and a stick feed. End discussion.
Greenmtnphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to paintballwannab

Quote:
From an engineering standpoint, salary is basically hourly w/o the overtime. You still do a minimum required number of hours, so don't have any delusions that if you're extra efficient and get all your crap done by noon Friday you can blow and go play golf..that doesn't happen. However, the company will be more than happy to pull the salary card on you if they need you to come in on Saturday or stay until 10PM.

Other than a rate increase, there's no advantage I have yet to see by being salary classified.
Not always true, depends on the company. Most companies I will agree with this, but with my company my boss is paid by the site. He pays me and 4 other guys a flat salary for the year, it doesn't matter if we take 4hrs or 14hrs on a site. Theres been plenty of times that we've finished our sites early and gotten to go home early.

But with most formal "office" jobs that is completely true, salary=hourly w/o OT
Ebay
http://myworld.ebay.com/paintballwannab/
Mcarterbrown.com
http://mcarterbrown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8131

I do powder coating, PM for details.
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Post Whore

The company that signed me done something weird I guess.They done "salary exempt". I received the corporate benefits"dental, med. vacation/sick/mental health days" Yeah ,they have Mental health days up here! ISNT CANADA GREAT!!!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
I have a Phantom

Send a message via MSN to Rayodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rayodder

budgeting for one pay check a months isn't that hard, just remember to take care of the priorities first, shelter, food and savings,than the rest is just for hookers and blows.

I have been on salary for a longtime now, in the long run it balances out with a hourly wage, what is nicer with salary is that you are tend to be covered with you get sick for a couple of days.

MCB Feedback
Rayodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to paintballwannab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayodder View Post
budgeting for one pay check a months isn't that hard, just remember to take care of the priorities first, shelter, food and savings,than the rest is just for hookers and blows.

LOL....one of the best quotes i've ever heard....I'm putting that one in my signature, well if you don't mind.
Ebay
http://myworld.ebay.com/paintballwannab/
Mcarterbrown.com
http://mcarterbrown.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8131

I do powder coating, PM for details.
paintballwannab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
Traded guns for cameras

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
This current work term is hourly, and any overtime goes into a stockpile. At the end I can either take off equivalent time or get paid for it (straight time though, but whatever).
I did that once. I headed back to school Aug 29th, and they stopped paying me in November

I agree with most here, salary is great as long as your employer doesn't abuse your work hours. For the same pay hourly is usually better (depending on expectations and benefits), but with a huge raise salary is probably the way to go.
Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayodder View Post
Don't forget the beer and hard liquor.

The last time I worked on salary, I was one of Uncle Sam's stooges. I can remember working for months at a time with no days off, often 13+ hours a day, with no comp time to be had. Honestly, unless I was getting paid a ridiculous amount of money, I doubt I will ever go that route again. Technically I am a salary worker right now, but I get paid an hourly rate. Plus I need prior authorization to work overtime. Yeah, being forced to only work banker's hours can be such a burden.
You have serious problems Himura. I remember when I first started buying guns I would oogle your collection.
Quote:
I'm sad to say I've rejected some pretty choice poon before. Sometimes little Mayvik (brain) gets the better of big Mayvik (peen). I blame it on the a..aha ha ah...ah ah alcohol.
My MCB Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...tml#post331126
himurax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
Really depends on your management.

I call my boss and say, "I've cleard out my deck for today and just want to blow off the afternoon" and if there isn't anything else going on he says, "have fun."

But on the bottom side of that I typically work from 8:00 to 6:00 every day and a 12 hour day isn't unusual.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat