mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
pk5
Stardust Memory

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
So are you a Canadian?

YouTube - Waking up Canadian

From wsj
Canada Issues a Wake-Up Call: You May Be a Citizen - WSJ.com

By PHRED DVORAK

Thanks to a new law, Canada will bestow citizenship Friday on what its government believes could be hundreds of thousands of unsuspecting foreigners, most of them Americans.

The April 17 amendment to Canada's Citizenship Act automatically restores Canadian nationality to many people forced to renounce it when they became citizens of another country. It also grants citizenship to their children.

The Canadian government doesn't know the precise number or location of individuals affected by the legislation. But it believes most are U.S. citizens, a spokeswoman for Canada's immigration office said. U.S. Department of Homeland Security records show 240,000 Canadians were naturalized in the U.S. from 1948 to 1977; the new law fixes problems that occurred during those years.

View Full Image

Canadian government
In the video 'Waking Up Canadian,' above, a man goes to sleep in a drab room and wakes up to find out that he's become a citizen of Canada. Surrounded by flags, maple-leaf-shaped cookies and a canister of maple syrup, he's welcomed by a hockey player, two plush moose and a uniformed Mountie.
Video Ad

"Waking Up Canadian"
To reach that amorphous group of beneficiaries, the Canadian government has turned to YouTube. It's running an ad there titled "Waking up Canadian," in which a man awakens on April 17 to a room festooned with red-and-white Canadian flags. He's met by a welcoming committee consisting of two stuffed plush moose, a hockey player, and a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Eligible individuals automatically become Canadian citizens. But they don't get proof of that citizenship unless they apply for it, meaning other countries -- including those that allow people to be citizens of only one nation -- won't be alerted, according to the immigration office spokeswoman. Those people also may renounce their citizenship rights, she said.

The citizenship bonanza is the byproduct of a decadeslong struggle by a motley group of people who claim they were unfairly denied or lost their Canadian nationality. Canadian families who crossed the border in 1947 to 1977 to have their babies in a U.S. hospital found those children weren't recognized as Canadians unless the families registered them with the government. Some foreign brides of Canadian World War II servicemen lost their citizenship if they stayed out of the country for a decade or more.

View Full Image

James Hager
Canada is using YouTube to tout a new law granting citizenship to unsuspecting foreigners, many of whom are Americans.
Then there are the Canadian Mennonites who moved to Mexico in the 1920s to the 1960s. When their children and grandchildren returned to Canada, many found their nationality unclear.

Some such cases languished in litigation for years. Others surfaced in 2007, when new U.S. rules requiring passports for travel between Canada and the U.S. uncovered significant numbers of people who thought they were Canadian, but weren't. The old rules were "quite intricate," said Bill Janzen, an immigration lobbyist in Ottawa for the Mennonite Central Committee of Canada.

The new law offers citizenship to many individuals now in limbo. It also stops the previous practice of granting citizenship in perpetuity to children of Canadians born abroad, limiting eligibility to children of parents born in Canada.
pk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lions, Tigers, and Bears...

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk5 View Post
So are you a Canadian ?
I'm pretty sure theres a Canuck in the woodpile somewhere but I'm not.
I dont remember it but I'm told I was born in Tampa.
Maybe thats why I hate snow.

going_home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to wowomatic

That video is absolutely ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
Look at it this way, at least you had pants on when your mom walked in.

Right?

wowomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
I have a Phantom

Send a message via MSN to Rayodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rayodder

along with that new law, if your are a foreign national and gave birth in Canada your baby will no longer considered to be a Canadian citizen.

MCB Feedback
Rayodder is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat