mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to sgt-spam

Arrow What's wrong with my garage door opener?

When we want to close our garage door, 75% of the time it moves a couple inches and then goes back. We have to hit the button three or four times to get it to open.

Support from the manufacturer suggested the eyes might be an issue, and when informed that the eyes seemed to work correctly, that it could be a circuit board problem.

I've looked through the manual, and it suggests the tensioner adjustments on the side of the opener, but they don't seem to make a difference, or not for long anyway.

Before I have some guy come out for $100 / hour (in 15 minute increments, how nice), I'm hoping there's something else I can check.

Any thoughts?
sgt-spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
p8ntd dawrld & thensum

I've had a lot of Garage Door issues with the houses I've lived in. Couple of possibilities that I've dealt with.

-Check first if its just the one Remote your using, Or if all of the remotes you have create the same problem.
-Drive Chain Issues or Wheel Well Jammage; rust, kink in a chain, something in the gears pathway. Most of the Garage Door openers these days have an Auto-Reverse Feature, incase something blocks the path of closing (safety sake for small children).
-Batteries or faulty electrical Connection.
-Manufacturer Defect with the product (and/or lifespan durability). The signal receiving device is busted.
-Lastly, and oddly enough... had a colony of bugs living inside the garage ceiling above the unit in an old house o mine, which eventually spread to the box and messed up everything (cooked the little suckers though, heh).

-baller
PsychoBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord humungus the Mod

Send a message via AIM to kidneythief

Its most likely the safety stop. Usually is a resistance sensor of some sort. It may be hanging up on a loose bracket or malfunctioning all together. You may also want to take a look at the optical beams that stop the door from closing when something blocks them. They may have a loose wire or simply need cleaned.

-Jake

-Jake

"I wish simply to be a decent person, yet I will always fear the retards" -Brian Hindt(geech)

MCB Moderator

Kidney Machine
kidneythief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mine did the same thing, did so because we hit it bent a panel from bumping it when parking so many times. Its a manuel door now.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

Quote:
Its most likely the safety stop. Usually is a resistance sensor of some sort
That would be my guess.
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Post Whore

Sounds like it's out of alignment or dirty.
Chack for damage then check for filth.
Most of the time they don't act up unless something is in the way

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
mrwisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Devious Penguin Mod

Send a message via AIM to Surge-NS

CCM Fan
Cold will do it too, check for ice.

Aggressive! Kill!

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=50&dateline=121202619  6
Surge-NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to sgt-spam

Thanks guys.

It usually happens more in the winter. The door and opener are five years old now...

I lubed the hinges and wheels and adjusted the close tensioner. For now it's OK.
sgt-spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Send a message via AIM to komodo Send a message via Yahoo to komodo

If nothing else anyone suggested to check works, it could just be a simple short.

Freind's door had the misfortune of not wanting to work in the winter. Turns out there was a short, that whenver it got cold, it would screw it up. Or something like that. Idk. Had to end up just replacing a few things and it was fine.

...especially those llamas that associate with asssfruit, I mean, bananas.
komodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Just to toss in another idea.

Make sure the eyes are clean, Also I have seen many people make a new bracket to hold the eyes only a foot apart. This ensures that the sensors will read eachother.

However no one that I know who has done this has children. I am not sure the legality of such a remedy anyway, I would prefer to keep the eyes mounted at the proper distance and level.
Chemical-X is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat