mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Icognito Remiss Firebrand

Send a message via AIM to incynr8

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Palmers Fan
Poor thing, I would have gave it a good home.
I have had 2 feral cats that adopted me and became regular 'cats', the one I have now was a kitten living out of a dumpster behind an Italian restaurant. The other one walked right up to me and became mine over time, then a companion to my parents for years and was a great cat.

Overpopulation by the 'rational' animal is far worse.
incynr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
sold for fish tacos

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I dont htink he's talinking about most strays, but the ones that are rabid and such.

My fiance's aunt reabilitates strays all the time, and belongs to a group that takes unwanted cats in.
Riverside Renegade Paintball / C.C. S.V.S. Plankowner - LPPC#6
www.AzzysDesignWorks.com - best replacement jeep gauges in the biz
Old Timer Feedback
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

My orange cat was a stray... he has turned into a very good house cat over the last year (once he got out of the house with dogs that he was forced to live in for 4 years...sorry little guy.. that was my fault).

2 of my parents cats were strays also...

Killing a cat because it's a cat and outside ...nope doesn't sit well with me. Same for other animals.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
Karma Enforcement Agency

Okay, if it was a nuts cat that was going to be attacking people, fine. We don't really care if there was a reason for killing animals (A GOOD reason). But when we looked at the pictures, which was more of a glance then really study them, the cat looked like someones pet not a feral cat.

And on the subject of squirrels, we don't care about killing/getting rid of them because they are a nuisance.
That's why you might know what I mean
Consider how small you are
Compared to your scream
The human dream
Doesn't mean **** to a tree

Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to wolf13 Send a message via Yahoo to wolf13

That is really saddening to see, I hate seeing things like that. While I have killed feral cats before; I love cats, grew up with planty of outdoor cats and a few indoor cats and have my own I adopted when he was dumped off as a kitten. While I have killed animals, I don't do it without reason. this last weekend though, I had a good deed go awry.

Thursday morning I went outside to go to work and foudn a stray cat sleepign int he window well. he saw me, let out a little meow and started rubbing against my legs and purring. decently fed, declawed cat with a collar, and exceptionally friendly. I ended up giving him some food so i wouldn't run over him or have him jump in my truck while i left. I didn't see him again til friday night when he was there when i got home.

Knowing it would be a rough weekend and coming week, and that he might be tagged and not just dumped out, and not wanting to bring a strange cat in without having a vet check him out, i ended up calling the police and having them come pick him up. before they would come, i had to catch him, which was easy and he went into the carrier purring with an ease my cat would never consent too. When the cop arrived, he wa simpressed at the cat being so friendly and I offered to adopt him if his owner wasn't found rather then lettign him be put down. The officer decided to just put the cat in the backseat so he wouldn't have to bring back my carrier. Unfortuantly, the cat freaked, jumped out ran into the road and was hit by a car. He got up and ran off behind a house and disappeared and i haven't seen him since, so i expect he met the fate of all too many outdoor cats.

yesterday (6 days after first finding the cat) we went for chinese at lunch. My fortune was: "A good deed will bring you joy."
Old 01-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

i understand the difference between putting a dangerous animal down, and killing something from sick perverse pleasure. it's hard to tell from that pic, because the cat was frozen, but it didn't look overly scraggly, there are lots of "pets" indoor and outdoor who's owners for whatever reason don't have em tagged, my cats don't have collars (because everytime i put one on them they near killed themselves, litterally, trying to get it off and almost asphyxiated themselves) or the cats've managed to remove the collar (had a cat with houdini-like powers of collar removal) and those cats are usually the easiest target of sick f'ers because they're used to people and are easy to lure to you. most of the wild cats i've encountered have been too afraid of people to cause much trouble, though i'm sure they'd have killed either of my cats if i let them out of the apartment.

my sister used to work at a petstore that was known to take in unwanted kittens, no questions asked. the owner arrived one day to find someone had left in front of his store's door a litter of kittens stuffed into a garbage bag filled with water, the last living kitten was standing on his drowned siblings desperately trying to keep his nose above water. by the time the owner managed to get him out it was too late if i ever found out who that bastard was, he'd be meeting my pipe wrench in some very sensitive places.
Amoryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Blue resistance movement.

From what some of you have said, its ok to just start blasting anything that is not accompanied by a person, no collar, and 4 legs that just happens to cross your path. I have assisted many many stray animals since I was a kid and NONE of them have been the raving wild, foaming at the mouth types that some of you seem to think all strays are. It is up to the animal control officers to dispose of domesticated animals that are stray. If you take matters into your own hands ie, getting out the guns, you may risk injuring yourself of others. Bullets dont stop when they reach your property line.

I mean why stop at animals ? There are plenty of wild looking feral people out there. Some of them foam at the mouth and many of them can be considered pests or not worthy of existing. Would it be wrong of me to start shooting them ? What if I used a bow ? Is that Ok ? You look a little wild-eyed when you play paintball, should you be put down ?

"A nation can be judged by how it treats its animals." --Mahatma Gandhi. I guess we are not so great as it seems.

It puts the hands in the air or it gets the paint again.
Rickfactor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #28 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottieb View Post
and i know this young kid, his behavior, and his past. it's quite hard for me to believe this was an accident. especially when the kid has a history or showing off his "trophies", be them a deer shot with an AK and dragged behind his truck, or a dead cat in a trap put in the back of his truck.
I know losers like that as well. Is this kid a White Supremacist? It wouldn't surprise me. Losers like that get off on victimizing the weak.

If I knew someone killed a pet like that, I would cremate the cat...while it was still in the back of the truck. And boy, I mean it.

I have an apartment in Boston and there were a few feral cats around here too. My boss and I dealt with them in a different way. We got to know them, and then trapped them and got them fixed. A couple of them became indoor cats, and we would let the more wild ones sleep in the basement or the barn when it was cold out. Sure it took a little more work and a little more money than just killing them, but good deeds often take work.

Over the years the population of wild cats in this neighborhood greatly diminished, and I think it's because of all the work my boss and I have put in. The only feral cat around here now is very old and he'll be gone soon. I haven't seen a young feral cat in years.

Maybe it's because I'm an Atheists and not so comfortable with the permanency of death. Who knows. I just think a little compassion can go a long way towards solving problems. This is the only life we'll ever live, so make the world a little better while you're here.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #29 (permalink)

Are traps like that even legal? I know that have-a-heart traps are, but I didn't know that traps like that traps that actually killed the animal aren't.
Rudisill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickfactor2 View Post
From what some of you have said, its ok to just start blasting anything that is not accompanied by a person, no collar, and 4 legs that just happens to cross your path. I have assisted many many stray animals since I was a kid and NONE of them have been the raving wild, foaming at the mouth types that some of you seem to think all strays are. It is up to the animal control officers to dispose of domesticated animals that are stray. If you take matters into your own hands ie, getting out the guns, you may risk injuring yourself of others. Bullets dont stop when they reach your property line.

I mean why stop at animals ? There are plenty of wild looking feral people out there. Some of them foam at the mouth and many of them can be considered pests or not worthy of existing. Would it be wrong of me to start shooting them ? What if I used a bow ? Is that Ok ? You look a little wild-eyed when you play paintball, should you be put down ?

"A nation can be judged by how it treats its animals." --Mahatma Gandhi. I guess we are not so great as it seems.

If you are going off that logic alone, we should have no domesticated livestock. Why don't we start herding people into a slaughter plant and killing and butchering them?

You are taking what is said too literally. We aren't talking about walking out the door with a rifle, and saying, "Hey, there's one without tags, lets shoot it!".

We are talking about problem animals.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat